First Build - Blooo Voron 2.4R2 with Mods, of course!

cjkennedy72

So after tweaking on my first printer, a Creality Ender 3 S1 and then errantly picking up a TronXY X5SA-Pro Kit (poor name, nothing pro about it). The constant fight to get more than 1 print before redoing all the leveing/bed-mesh, blah... blah.. Well... that lead me to building a Voron. 

Like many, I did a bunch of research, read articles, forum posts, the full manual for about ever open source printer on Github and felt I was on the right track... but then came the new set of decisions... 

Do I buy a CNC'd kit? Do I buy an LDO kit, or which controller, etc.... I finally settled on a mix of self-sourcing and kits, mainly the motion kit without rails, and the fasteners kit from Amazon. While I might have paid a little more, my time was worth it. So, I started printing my parts on that old Creality and TronXY... Soon, I found I was printing more on the Ender than the CoreXY because at least I could get the job printed first try almost every time. 

These are the earliest pictures I took as I was building... 
image.thumb.jpeg.1785c2ecbaf8a7e81179ff7960269f17.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9a6fc816251c82af5e3ff49db4716c89.jpeg
Lots has changed since then, and here are the latest pics... I replaced the heatbed because the first one was too thick and took forever to heat. I disassembled the Stealthburner and ditched any "lets see if this works" butt-connectors for nice shrink-wrapped soldering work. I installed LEDs, but am still figuring out what is up with those... I also got my camera mounted, the touchscreen with KlipperScreen added using a case from this site and a hack-job on a mount that worked out... I will come back to that later when I get a longer FPC cable.  She is about get her back and side panels attached... Just waiting on a couple cable covers to finish printing...

image.thumb.jpeg.8e59b5a9adc9837fd8686c252c3cca24.jpeg

The TronXY X5SA-Pro is becoming a VZ-Bot 330 when this is done. I have already printed 80% of the parts while working on the Voron assembly, wiring, testing and all.

Edited by cjkennedy72
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, cjkennedy72 said:

The TronXY X5SA-Pro is becoming a VZ-Bot 330

Well worth it. One of the first conversions I did, before starting my Voron journey. The parts for it was printed on an Ender3 v2 and a Ender 5 Plus in Ikea enclosures - those were the days.

TRONXY X5SA Pro to VZBot 330:

IMG_4898.jpeg.201f1659daf8b1c3bb185f3b190c0ad8.thumb.jpeg.3e48e58a1a043ae59670a98b5b7114f3.jpeg

Did the conversion in order to print the parts for the first Voron build. It is now in pieces, ready for an AWD upgrade once I finish the Micron. (Parts already printed)

Last Pic for the night...
I disassembled my SB again to get the LEDs sorted. Well... wouldn't ya know... somehow among 3 red wires, I got the positive and negative swapped. FML!  So, a quick pin swap on the connector and "IT'S ALIVE!!! IT'S ALIVE!!!!!"

image.thumb.jpeg.9249a394b578924eb39ff57693229c38.jpeg

Okay... TBH, I also needed to get some PFTE Tubing between the Orbiter 1.5 I had decided to use and the Revo, so I went ahead and added a Long M5 heatset to the top, ensured the path was clear into the Orbiter and added a Bowden Coupler at the top to meet up with the tube that will come in from the top, probably tomorrow. 

Can we say I am anxious to get filament flowing since I am this close... but, it's gotta be right!

• Like 3

So I hit a bit of a snag... Would really love some input. The Orbiter v1.5 I received has binding in the planetary gears... I have tried two different Nema14 motors and neither will turn the extruder gears, they just grind against the nylon planetary gears. So... it will take a bit to get that replaced. 

I started printing the CW2 parts since I have a couple clone BMGs I can steal parts from... Any better options? Should I just pick-up an Orbiter v2.0 from LDO? FYSTEC Sherpa Mini? All ideas are welcome.... hopefully, I can get the CW2 rolling today, I don't expect much time this weekend to mess with it.

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, cjkennedy72 said:

I can get the CW2 rolling today

Nothing wrong with the CW2 - Accurate and just works if the build instructions are followed. Unless you have a specific reason for wanting to use the orbiter, I will stick to the CW2, or even build the mini sherpa. My first 2.4r2  was built with a LGX, which I replaced with the CW2 - no regrets. The only machines running orbiter extruders are the three V0 variants with @atrushing's mini- stealth toolhead. 

If you do go orbiter two, you will need to reprint the toolhead as the screw offsets of the orbiter 1.5 and orbiter 2 are different.

• Like 3

The front and motor plate will be done in a few minutes, swap filament and print the accent parts and we shall see. I have no real draw to an Orbiter other than low effort (don't have to print and assemble). I would prefer to stick with a Stealthburner for now... I just think it's a sharp-looking tool head. 

I'll let ya know how the CW2 turns out.. sounds like it's time to swap filament.. 🙂

CW2 is assembled and tested. Found I had squished the mounts for the hot-end while disassembling and reassembing the SB multiple times, so reprinted the back side. However, I couldn't find a mount for my BTT EBB36 that I liked, so I remixed a cover I found as part of a VZ-HextrudORT adaptation to the SB. Once I get it tested today, I will try to post the remix. 
Pics to come later...

• Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.5034a46371a34ed4f64b41e9c6b07fe9.jpeg

Well... Been a journey, for sure... But!!! I now have a printing Voron 2.4r2! I know... it's a cube, but hey I just wanted to see filament being pushed and bed adhesion. 

Upgrades made to the original Voron-2 BOM:

ChaoticLabs CNC Tap

FYSETC CNC Hollow X-Axis

BTT EBB36 CAN in the Stealthburner

Sensorless Homing of X and Y

BTT SFS v2.

All parts were printed on either an Ender 3 S1 or Tronxy X5SA-Pro (Revo w/ direct-drive)

Now to just button her up and do some additional calibration and tuning. I share more pics once I put on the side panels and doors

• Like 1
  • Voron FTW! 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's been a little while since I posted an update... mainly because I have been traveling for work the last two weeks and redoing a bathroom while home. But... Oddly, I was getting a weird layer shift issue too, but on my Voron @mvdveer. I printed a couple of test cubes at 40mm and 50mm, and they were fine, but when I went to actually print something useful... Well, layer shift at the same spot both times.

So... over this past weekend, I disassembled the gantry (Also upgraded to the CF gantry components), and found that one of the Z tensioners wasn't holding tension after reassembly...DOH! I had missed tightening a screw, so had to fix that before quad-gantry leveling would work consistently.  I was beating my head on the table for a bit. Not only that, but I also replaced the A and B motors with a matched set, which they were not originally... late shipment.

With all that said, here she is... Only need to install the doors and deal with the light power cable.

image.thumb.jpeg.e1c1b260c60c94992b27228785b9e84a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4f1cc7cee91c2c581176ea04e9804e6e.jpeg

• Like 1

WOW! So this is a great printer. I have printed a few items my wife has been bugging me to make, and after I switched to the smooth PEI Sheet instead of the textured, first layers are great! I printed the door hinges last night in ABS, with a spare piece of ABS across the front to enclose the chamber and each one turned out fairly well. 

I have a little more tuning to do around flow/extrusion rates and pressure advance, but BLOO! - Voron 2.4R2 is ready to take his place in the printing area!
A couple of final pics? Sure!
IMG_1258.thumb.jpg.d6571f53f588f7f3f447348a1970e4ba.jpgIMG_1259.thumb.jpg.7eaa43c726534f69df4cd4d2ff333c6f.jpg

NOW! Time to transform this POS TronXY that constantly has me PO'd at it into a VZBot 330 AWD! 
Build Journal to follow soon. 

• Like 3

Good build and music to my ears that you love the 2.4r2. Good luck with the Tronxy conversion - a word of warning - it will be frustrating at times, but well worth the effort, and very satisfying in the end. Looking forward to your build diary.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...