Smol Printer Time - Salad Fork

Poisson

image.thumb.jpeg.50f4b2df425c04f00a8b638fe8e2f199.jpeg

Finished AB motors and belts a couple days ago, and finished assembling boop yesterday.

Found that the rubber feet in the kit are too small. They have a M3 hole in them, but need M5. ordered some replacements but I also tried to bust out the TPU on my 2.4 yesterday to print some feet and for the life of me could not get it to print right. Going to maybe try a little but more today, but otherwise seems like a good day to maybe do the toolhead.

Need the feet before I get into the electronics too much. Without the feet the power supply sticks out the bottom of the printer! So I don't really want to put all the electronics in and then have to turn it over and have it sit on the power supply.

Edited by Poisson
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Poisson said:

Hurray for CANbus and a CB1!)

Does make a difference. And with all the initial setup blues well documented, really easy to set up now. (Well I have done 5 so far). Looking good

• Like 1

For the USB camera I'm using, it has a USB cable that connects to the camera PCB using this tiny connector, which appears to be JST SH 1.0 pitch:

image.thumb.jpeg.766801caca36a884c9350b57c0af6b64.jpeg

Well this USB cable is too wide to stuff into the extrusions to hide / run it the way I need to, so I ordered a skinny USB cable. The only problem is I'm going to have to cut off one end of the new cable and attach the connector somehow. I've never tried crimping 1.0 pitch crimps before and from what I have been reading online it is giant pain in the butt without a specialized crimper. So the question is do I either 1. Get crimp pins and connectors and try to crimp a new end on the new cable, or do I just cut this connector off with enough wire to splice it onto the new cable?

9 hours ago, Poisson said:

I just cut this connector off with enough wire to splice it onto the new cable?

I am with you and I trust my splicingg/soldering more than I do my crimping such tiny connectors.

• Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.4e24f7f89a6c80865cff3cd65479573a.jpeg 

I don't like the amount of jank this USB cable is turning into, hopefully it works. Had to discover the 5th wire is for GND to the sheathing. I also had to remove the insulation for a portion of the cable which means the sheathing is now in contact with the frame of the printer, hopefully doesn't cause issues.

Edited by Poisson

1 hour ago, Poisson said:

image.thumb.jpeg.4e24f7f89a6c80865cff3cd65479573a.jpeg 

I don't like the amount of jank this USB cable is turning into, hopefully it works. Had to discover the 5th wire is for GND to the sheathing. I also had to remove the insulation for a portion of the cable which means the sheathing is now in contact with the frame of the printer, hopefully doesn't cause issues.

I checked continuity between the frame and the sheathing and there is none. I guess maybe because of the anodization of the frame? Guess it won't really matter if no continuity.

Plugged the camera into my laptop and it seems to work fine, so that's nice.

image.thumb.jpeg.c34cb0ef0f4e7da6bcdacf500f9654c5.jpeg

Most of the wires in the printer are now down to the electronics bay including the CAN cable now attached. RGB is installed and wires ran, USB cable is ran down, and I installed a chamber thermistor. Need to extend the AB motor wires down into the electronics bay still. Still waiting on my replacement bed heater to arrive which should be late next week.

PXL_20230812_174551466.thumb.jpg.262d4173deacffef69ef7c8e4dfe19d7.jpgPXL_20230812_174520203.thumb.jpg.c634b6e49ce2792953197dc8a2263379.jpg

Edited by Poisson
  • Like 1

Wired up the entire electronics bay minus the bed heater, and the bed fans.

image.thumb.jpeg.d6293216bcd54a7f5670f5f393aa3e41.jpeg

Installed the screen and ran a temp USB cable (seems I ordered the wrong 90 degree FFC adapter cable for the USB on Aliexpress). Ordered the correct adapter now

Screen not displaying anything though, so I think I messed up installing the FFC cable. Will work on it later.

image.thumb.jpeg.d33d4239c7257e70114fcc4891026edf.jpeg

I also installed klipper on the sdcard and loaded it and turned on the printer. No magic smoke escaped, hurray! I am able to connect to it over the wireless. so I guess while I wait for the replacement bed heater so I can finish the bed, I'll start setting up klipper.

Edited by Poisson
  • Like 3

image.thumb.jpeg.202a41b086dc68d3296b33590db116ea.jpeg

New board is in. I upgraded from the Manta M5P to the Manta M8P. It's overkill for the steppers, but it has additional fan headers which will make my fan control plans much easier. Wired it all up and it wouldn't boot! Turns out with the USB for the screen attached it won't boot up, so it seems like I fried the screen when I fried the board. Disconnected screen and ordered a replacement, thankfully Amazon has this one in stock now and I don't have to wait on Aliexpress.

Started configuring klipper and got klipper to load without error. Went to go start testing steppers and buzzing any of the steppers causing klipper to error out. Grabbed a spare stepper driver and replaced one of them and lo and behold that stepper is able to buzz. So it appears I blew all the stepper drivers as well. This is turning into quite the costly mistake. Ordered new stepper drivers.

I did get canbus configured and working correctly which is nice. Everything on the toolhead is working properly except for boop which isn't triggering for some reason. 

Followed this Canbus guide which was excellent: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_PcCsZmZDNQKQ4PZVdHbhnT0SBKkc30miwcUaphM4kQ/edit

Edited by Poisson
  • Like 2

New stepper drivers came in yesterday, replaced all of them and all my motors are working like a charm. Screen came in in today which I replaced and it is working great as well.

Replacement bed heater from Fabreeko shipped yesterday and should be here Monday. Getting towards the end of this build!

• Like 2