Afterburner Toolhead Board v3.2/4.0 Wiring Diagram for BTT Octopus 1.x MCU

its difficult to tell since i cant see any of your labels on your wires but so far looks ok.

are you using some sort of klicky probe? the reason i ask is I don't see a probe in the probe port .

This can be due to using a 5v clicky endstop type device. I'm sure usually the pcb boards only have a single wire going to the board for the probe coming from the toolhead.

are you using an SSR for the bed or are using one of the hotends?

if possible it would be better if you could turn your labels for viewing in the pictures but might not be needed.

you seem to have a connector in the x, y and z endstop as well as possibly one for a clicky device if so then that seems to be good.

if your only running a part fan and hotend fan then the fan wiring seems fine.

Are you running controller fans or exhaust fans? if so are they wired to hotend ports on the board?

On 12/30/2021 at 7:48 AM, Demosth said:

A wiring diagram for the Afterburner Toolhead breakout board connecting to and BTT (BigTreeTech) Octopus  1.x board.  This is teh latest diagram after 4 different revisions with community involvement and support

Thanks, will come in handy with my current build

• Like 1

16 hours ago, michaelmacintyre said:

its difficult to tell since i cant see any of your labels on your wires but so far looks ok.

are you using some sort of klicky probe? the reason i ask is I don't see a probe in the probe port .

This can be due to using a 5v clicky endstop type device. I'm sure usually the pcb boards only have a single wire going to the board for the probe coming from the toolhead.

are you using an SSR for the bed or are using one of the hotends?

if possible it would be better if you could turn your labels for viewing in the pictures but might not be needed.

you seem to have a connector in the x, y and z endstop as well as possibly one for a clicky device if so then that seems to be good.

if your only running a part fan and hotend fan then the fan wiring seems fine.

Are you running controller fans or exhaust fans? if so are they wired to hotend ports on the board?

Hi there, thankx for your input. I will try and answer as many questions as I can.

I am not using the Klicky.

I am running controller and exhaust fans. I just don't have them plugged in yet. The will be plugged in to the Fan2, Fan3 and Fan 4 spots.

Running SSR for the bed

The following picture is labeled to what I have done:

Fans are on the first pin.

X Stop is all 3 pins

Y Sop is the first pin

Z stop is both pins

Probe is the first pin

Bed Therm is both pins

Hotend Therm / Ground first pin is hotend therm second pin is Both grounds GND and AGND (connected together at PCB connector)

24V is from PCB

Heater Nozzle from PCB

I hope this helps.

Thank you for your time.

capture6_24_2022_9_38_37_PM.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having trouble with the hotend thermistor reading -108c. The pcb wiring diagram shows just one wire connecting to the board. I have verified with meter that the wire is connected to the  pos pin and no shorts or open. If I disconnect it the temp climbs to -40c 

On 6/25/2022 at 5:08 AM, Raymond-Canada said:

Hi there, thankx for your input. I will try and answer as many questions as I can.

I am not using the Klicky.

I am running controller and exhaust fans. I just don't have them plugged in yet. The will be plugged in to the Fan2, Fan3 and Fan 4 spots.

Running SSR for the bed

The following picture is labeled to what I have done:

Fans are on the first pin.

X Stop is all 3 pins

Y Sop is the first pin

Z stop is both pins

Probe is the first pin

Bed Therm is both pins

Hotend Therm / Ground first pin is hotend therm second pin is Both grounds GND and AGND (connected together at PCB connector)

24V is from PCB

Heater Nozzle from PCB

I hope this helps.

Thank you for your time.

capture6_24_2022_9_38_37_PM.JPG

I apologize for not seeing this reply. I assume you now have your printer up and running. if not let me know and I'll see what I can do.

3 hours ago, fayette said:

I'm having trouble with the hotend thermistor reading -108c. The pcb wiring diagram shows just one wire connecting to the board. I have verified with meter that the wire is connected to the  pos pin and no shorts or open. If I disconnect it the temp climbs to -40c 

usually a reading like that means the board isn't seeing your thermistor. either you have a wiring problem between the toolhead board and the motherboard or whatever wiring is on your thermistor. if your pin on the mainboard is the pin nearest the bottom where the fans are then that should be ok so long as your toolhead board has power and ground wired correctly. i assume it is. 

Do you have a multimeter? you can use one to verify your wiring connections.

• 4 weeks later...

I am still doing a bit of fine tuning my recent 300 V2.4r2 build/Octopus V1.x/CW1 build. Everything went better than expected and initial print quality tests are great. But I'm always cautious and like to double check everything before I start going full out.

Going through all the posts in this thread leads me to beleive that I have GND & AGND connected properly at least to the 2nd wiring diagram shown which I initally followed. All the electronics are operating correctly as is.

Third photo is actual hookup of the "GND" from the hartK PCB on my system.

I am a noob to electronics so I'm always concerned that everthing is connected in a safe and correct fashion.

I would appreciate any comments if my AGND from the PCB is indeed wired correctly or if it should be wired to the PSU GND as shown in diagram #1.

1790323098_ToolheadwiringwithPSUShowing_Alternate.thumb.jpg.efe6bff54929d323ddef27b5c9f1338d.jpg

Toolhead wiring with PSU Showing.jpg

Current PCB Toolhead Wiring_cr.jpg

Edited by Wannabe

4 hours ago, Wannabe said:

I am still doing a bit of fine tuning my recent 300 V2.4r2 build/Octopus V1.x/CW1 build. Everything went better than expected and initial print quality tests are great. But I'm always cautious and like to double check everything before I start going full out.

Going through all the posts in this thread leads me to beleive that I have GND & AGND connected properly at least to the 2nd wiring diagram shown which I initally followed. All the electronics are operating correctly as is.

Third photo is actual hookup of the AGND on my system.

I am a noob to electronics so I'm always concerned that everthing is connected in a safe and correct fashion.

I would appreciate any comments if my AGND from the PCB is indeed wired correctly or if it should be wired to the PSU GND as shown in diagram #1.

1790323098_ToolheadwiringwithPSUShowing_Alternate.thumb.jpg.efe6bff54929d323ddef27b5c9f1338d.jpg

Toolhead wiring with PSU Showing.jpg

Current PCB Toolhead Wiring_cr.jpg

It might be the way the picture is but your picture with the AGND wire and the lines going from the little pcb looks to be round the wrong way but if it's working maybe it doesn't matter. what i mean is usually the TH0 is wired to the pin nearest the bottom of the board i.e going towards to fan headers and the ground pin is further up i.e towards the top. the second picture in this original post shows it but your lines seem to be swapping the pins. As i said though if your board and printer are working fine then possibly that doesn't matter.

pins.png

48 minutes ago, michaelmacintyre said:

It might be the way the picture is but your picture with the AGND wire and the lines going from the little pcb looks to be round the wrong way but if it's working maybe it doesn't matter. what i mean is usually the TH0 is wired to the pin nearest the bottom of the board i.e going towards to fan headers and the ground pin is further up i.e towards the top. the second picture in this original post shows it but your lines seem to be swapping the pins. As i said though if your board and printer are working fine then possibly that doesn't matter.

I seem to have made a mistake in my post by initially stating:

"Third photo is actual hookup of the AGND on my system" I have revised the statement to say " Third photo is actual hookup of the "GND" from the hartK PCB on my system"

As I mentioned my current wiring is as per the second photo and everthing does appear to operating correctly.

Its just the fact that I'm a complete noob with electronics and would like some verification that the way I have the GND wired is indeed correct and won't cause unexpected smoke or failure at some point in the near future. Maybe I'm just being over cautious!

Appreciate your comments and will study them in detail later tonight, from what I've seen there appears to be a number of ways to ground the PCB.

14 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

Its just the fact that I'm a complete noob with electronics and would like some verification that the way I have the GND wired is indeed correct and won't cause unexpected smoke or failure at some point in the near future. Maybe I'm just being over cautious!

This is the exact way mine has been wired. Think you should be ok

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wannabe said:

I seem to have made a mistake in my post by initially stating:

"Third photo is actual hookup of the AGND on my system" I have revised the statement to say " Third photo is actual hookup of the "GND" from the hartK PCB on my system"

As I mentioned my current wiring is as per the second photo and everthing does appear to operating correctly.

Appreciate your comments and will study them in detail later tonight, from what I've seen there appears to be a number of ways to ground the PCB.

usually if your going to see the magic smoke it happens right away as soon as you plug your wires into the wrong pins so I think your fine and as the other person that replied says that's the way they have theirs wired.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, michaelmacintyre said:

usually if your going to see the magic smoke it happens right away as soon as you plug your wires into the wrong pins so I think your fine and as the other person that replied says that's the way they have theirs wired.

Sounds good and appreciate the reply

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

New user here building a 2.4r2 300mm printer. I have the Octopus 1.1 controller and want to use the Hartk Afterburner Toolhead PCB V4.0 with the AB-BD 30 toolhead setup. I think the 0.7 version of the diagram on the first page should apply to this configuration but wanted to just quickly ask since this is a new build for me.

Also, I'm not sure how this changes things but I'm eventually going to install the Euclid prober setup (I think it's neat and I might use a glass bed, so I think the stock Omron prox. sensor has issues with glass?). I think there are places on the PCB for a prober but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Thanks in advance!

Dennis

4 hours ago, DennisM said:

I think there are places on the PCB for a prober but I haven't gotten that far yet.

I have the same setup though had trouble getting the Euclid to work when connecting it to the PCB probe input. Ended up wiring the probe directly to the Octopus board and working like a charm. Even tried two different PCB's (from same manufacturer, so this may have been the issue) as well as different pin configurations on the Octopus board

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/22/2022 at 1:33 AM, mvdveer said:

@DennisM

image.thumb.png.652fb304e19d7f5d6a5abb2c8b3ef41e.png

image.png.3d868df4d9c0a37440265cd986762aa5.png

Klicky should be connected to signal (green) and ground (black) only.

thanks for the diagram, do I understand correctly that the Aux from the pcb is connected to PG6 & PF5 at the same time on the Octopus pro?  thanks in advance for your help!

Sorry for the noob question,

by now i understand it's optional but there I'm installing the Hall endstop I'll won't be using the aux-out from the pcb.

Edited by piep
Problem solved