Afterburner Toolhead Board v3.2/4.0 Wiring Diagram for BTT Octopus 1.x MCU

A wiring diagram for the Afterburner Toolhead breakout board connecting to and BTT (BigTreeTech) Octopus  1.x board.  This is teh latest diagram after 4 different revisions with community involvement and support

NOTES:

1. GND and AGND are the same on the Octopus board, so bridging them on the toolhead PCB eliminates a wire with no negative consequences.
  2. On many Voron 2 builds the X endstop is not located on the toolhead, so the [F] wire can then be left out or repurposed for e.g. +5V/+12V fan.
  3. Using the normal sensor header (PB7) has been know to cause issues, so use PH15 instead. See Why isn't my probe working on the Octopus?
  4. The bat diode (BAT85) is only needed for some inductive probes. For Klicky mod just bridge the solder pads.
  5. Connecting the +24V wire to the heater terminal (rather than to the PSU) means it's protected by the fuse on the board.
  6. Recommended wire gauges are 0.50 mm2 (20 AWG) for +24V [A] and Hotend [B] and 0.25 mm2 (24 AWG) for all the others

932415683_AfterbyrnerToolheadandBTTOctpus.thumb.jpg.daccf3f2d8489f44e7c664e74a3bc573.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice addition of the stepper wires and where they pin to on the connector on the board.

I had to try various combinations when i set mine up recently.

At least with the next one I do I can refer to this.

I noticed you withdraw the statement about the bat85 only  been needed for certain probes. Has that advice changed due to most needing it?

Thanks

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @Shan723 welcome aboard! I invite you to take a minute and post a little introduction.

7 hours ago, Shan723 said:

are the x endstop still required to be plugged into the board? 

Your question is a bit vague but generally speaking, there is no obligation to use any function of the board per say, you can customize any aspect of your build. More specifically to this, If you buy a V2.4 kit, it will often include a hall effect endstop board that installs on the gantry so in that case you would not install the x endstop on the board. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am in the process of installing this on my new build.  I see that GND and AGND can be linked together.  On post 1 it says to hook them up to the screw terminal.  Then in post 2 it says they can be hooked up to The hotend or the chamber thermister connections at E or G.  Is that to the second pin in that connector plug at E or G?  Can I still use the screw terminal?

Respectfully,

Dale

Hi Dale,

I'm sure I hooked mine up to the ground screw terminal of the power supply but I'm sure you could also use a ground screw terminal on the board.

I agree the wording isn't the best but it looks like the author is saying you can also plug it into one of the thermistor ground pins.

I personally think its simple to just use the ground terminal on the power supply or the board but it seems you have choices.

• 2 weeks later...

When sourcing 24vdc from HE0 on Octopus board, does that mean that HE0+ is always live with 24vdc and the Hot-end heater is low-side switched on/off by the HE0-? I assume that must be the case but I just wanted to double check. Also, is it correct that the Toolhead Board GND and AGND can both be tied to the "GND" Octopus J67 input power connections that is also connected to the Meanwell 24VDC GND?

• 5 weeks later...

MCU 'mcu' shutdown: ADC out of range This generally occurs when a heater temperature exceeds its configured min_temp or max_temp. Once the underlying issue is corrected, use the "FIRMWARE_RESTART" command to reset the firmware, reload the config, and restart the host software. Printer is shutdown

It would be nice if someone could post a ERCF toolhead board wiring diagram and also have details for the led wiring of the Stealthburner using either ERCF or the Toolhead board posted above. For example I believe there is a solution to use the 5vdc and Gnd on the ERCF for the Stealthburner leds and then just a data line would need to be run. I believe that data line could also be run by modifying or the ERCF toolhead board to use the XY endstop if the XY endstop wires are not wired to the toolhead (instead they run down the cable chain).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tauser said:

MCU 'mcu' shutdown: ADC out of range This generally occurs when a heater temperature exceeds its configured min_temp or max_temp. Once the underlying issue is corrected, use the "FIRMWARE_RESTART" command to reset the firmware, reload the config, and restart the host software. Printer is shutdown

this is usually either a thermistor fault or thermistor wiring fault.

• 1 month later...

can you explain what you mean in reference to the klicky probe when you say just bridge the shoulder pads ? what pads ?

and with this board I should only need the signal pin for the klicky, correct?

thanks

Bill

I have a question about installing the PCB board. I don't do this sort of stuff on a regular basis so I am a noob at this.

Is there someone I can send some pictures to. I want to make sure I have all my wires plugged into the Octopus board correctly before I start it up.

Or is there pictures I can use as a reference to what I did?

Thank you.

Raymond

octopus-1.jpg

octopuss-2.jpg

Edited by Raymond-Canada

16 hours ago, michaelmacintyre said:

the picture at the top of this feed show the octopus board and where everything goes.

If you doubt your connections the upload the pics and I'm sure someone will say if it's wrong.

Thankx, I did follow that, but I am not sure if it is correct. I added pictures to my first post.