Think I buggered my Pi

nannyogg82

Question

So I recently upgraded to the stealth burner with the Hartley 2 piece PCB. I couldn’t get my LEDs to work so did a multimeter check to see that 5v was coming from the pins. While doing this I slipped and shorted the 5v and 24v pins. 

No magic smoke but the printer shut down. I initially thought I had blown the Pi but with a bit of investigation the 5v PSU wasn’t working. I wired the Pi up to the 5v pins on the Octopus board and that seemed to solve the issue. at least initially. 

Whenever I print now the print cuts out after about a minute of printing. I assumed this was a problem with the power coming from the Octopus board. After checking the PSU again it seemed to be keeping up a steady voltage but I still have the same issue with the printer cutting out a minute into any print. 

Is the problem likely to be with the Pi? I’ve got a new PSU arriving tomorrow so I’ll try that first. If this is a Pi issue, can I just swap the SD card with any replacement? Or will there be changes I need to make on the Pi when replacing it?

Well. Im just here to make feel the OP better.

I still dont know how, but just burned the Fysect cheetah board doing a hot end swap. I still dont know what happened, I suspect a shorted part fan wire into the hot end... but yeah... you are not alone.

I definitely have to re-consider my safety checks when I´m doing wiring, as is the 3rd board I´ve burned in the last year.

happy day to me... FFs.

• Sad 3

9 hours ago, Simon2.4 said:

look for chips that overheat during that minute of operation, could be on the stepper boards, the main board, also, you could do a load test on your power supply to see if it shuts down

Thanks simon. All 3 boards had diagnosed reasons on the burning...

the first 2 were in the switchwire. an undiagnosed short into the part cooling fan.

Today, I´ve found I did manage to splice and wire the ground of the part fan to the ground of the hot end... and apparently the board has not been particularly happy with the issue. Lesson learned, NEVER EVER AGAIN do wiring during a meeting where you actually have to listen. I´a moron.

4 minutes ago, Maurici said:

Thanks simon. All 3 boards had diagnosed reasons on the burning...

the first 2 were in the switchwire. an undiagnosed short into the part cooling fan.

Today, I´ve found I did manage to splice and wire the ground of the part fan to the ground of the hot end... and apparently the board has not been particularly happy with the issue. Lesson learned, NEVER EVER AGAIN do wiring during a meeting where you actually have to listen. I´a moron.

Yah I didn't realize this post was old when I posted, I was actually replying to the OP about 25 days late. 😅