Voronio Voron 2.4 (350mm)

danielson761729

Hi,

hello and thanks for creating and contributing to this forum, I must be honest i’m finding it easier to use than Discord :-). 

first off I am pretty new to 3D printing and this is my first build! 

my idea is to make a Voronoi Voron 2.4 (350mm) running it off the new Octopus pro (for the sake of future proofing. 

i’m making my own parts using a Geetech A20M that’s only just holding on 😂. Going for the standard Red and black colour scheme but I am going for a Voronoi pattern. The base plate is going to be patterned and then I intend to create a rear panel with the Voronoi pattern carved through black exposing frosted clear acrylic backlit in red (showing through the cracks).

as for Mods etc there’s a few i’m using from others and one or two I intend to do myself. Going for the clicky probe , top handles, the bolt hinged doors AB-BN, and one of the large touchscreen screens. 

as for my own mods I have a water cooled peltier controller on the cards as well as changing the bed mounts for something that will flex when the bed heats (maybe male to female steel spring bobbins or something).

• Like 2

(I know these are all at once I just jeed to catch up 😂😂). 

as soon as I started I went away for two weeks. Gwve me chance to watch some great build livestreams (retrospectively). And as a birthday treat I was bought linear rails, stepper motors, and a build plate!!! 

topped that up with my own contribution of the Phaetus dragon HF and a few fans and microswitches etc. hopefully I will be going home to a mountain of stuff to put together! 

kit bought from the following..

https://www.onetwo3d.co.uk

https://mechporium.co.uk

https://hobby-store.co.uk

CA8772B0-044F-4DE1-ADE2-0A1911E4A978.jpeg

Edited by danielson761729
  • Like 2

And so it really starts!

so I got the weekend to myself after coming home and decided to make a start! 

sat a pane of glass on my table-saw to make the frame and still ended up loosening and retightening the thing twice, none the less got that sorted! Got the bed attached and I have found some cheap crappy corrugated plastic to try out my idea, (made using the 30w laser on my X-carve). Looks great so I have bought some ABS to attach above the corrugated plastic. 

• Like 2

Today’s progress,

got my

Z belts on and my gantry installed! Still waiting on steppers so I cant do the AB belts until I get them. At the moment i’m stumped until more stuff arrives! 

Weirdly i’m trouble getting the X axis linear rails to run smoothly. If I tighten both no matter how hard I try I seem to get a rough point when moving the carriage from side to side (open to advice).

also got my acrylic sheet for the bottom, sent it through the laser CNC and i’m well happy with it 🙂 

CAA839EC-5AF3-476F-B007-975C23101619.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Demosth said:

Ohhh, I love that pattern on the bottom sheet, is that a reverse engraveable sheet?

I purchase my sheet from JPPlus (Typically Rowmark Sheet) - it's not the cheapest, but soooo many options!

https://www.jpplus.com/engraving/sheet/laser/plastic?engraving_side=200 

Looking great - look forward to future progress!

Thanks and Nice :-). This is just standard black acrylic (i’ve Supported it with corrugated plastic underneath. 
got mine from  https://www.plasfab.co.uk/store

it’s a local supplier (if I can buy locally I am doing).

The design I just found on Google and turned the Vector into a lightburn file. :-).

voronoi-diagram-with-3-attractor-points.svg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demosth said:

Ohhh, I love that pattern on the bottom sheet, is that a reverse engraveable sheet?

I purchase my sheet from JPPlus (Typically Rowmark Sheet) - it's not the cheapest, but soooo many options!

https://www.jpplus.com/engraving/sheet/laser/plastic?engraving_side=200 

Looking great - look forward to future progress!

1 hour ago, Demosth said:

Thank you for sharing, great looking kit!  Do you have plans for the other panels as well?

Yes :-). It’s anything but modest but I want to copy this design to the back panel but actually cut through Black vinyl to expose frosted perspex behind. I was going to backlight the perspex/polycarbonate so light bleeds through the lines of the pattern. I’m toying with engraving the pattern on the clear side panels and top too but I’m undecided yet :-). 

i’m open to suggestions or advice 👍

E0109788-0F89-4AB4-9BF5-4792F1582AEA.jpeg

So just finished the block of night shifts from hell and i’m feeling like Tom Hanks 1 hour after being rescued on Castaway.
As such little has happened over the last few days apart from creating fantasy shopping baskets on various websites (am I the only one who does that? 😂😂).

what I have done is order wiring, my Octopus board, proximity sensor and SSR. I’ve also deconstructed one of the Raspberry pi’s I have lying around ready for use! 

i’ve found it’s actually quite handy having time like this as it keeps me organised… i’ve reconstructed the build BOM to be more British specific and it has given me some clarity (i’l attach it below). 

Dans GB BOM.pdf

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, the Octopus board has arrived along with a load more gubbins but i’m still waiting on cabling. In a way i’m regretting not giving the wiring a shot myself but hey ho! 

i found some Orange acrylic in the Garage so I have cut it to use as a means of keeping my cables tidy, must say i’m not overpy impressed so this might get an upgrade pretty handy.

B926FC7C-B949-421C-B261-46F243EF60AC.jpeg

• Like 2

As you might have noticed from the above, I have added the screen and…. The stepper motors finally arrived!!!

again i’ve gone for kit form, it was my original intention to source everything individually but the shipping becomes a huge limitation to that! 

Routing the cables has been great fun! Really finding the mechanical aspect to this enjoyable. Not sure how i’m feeling about the software configuration 😱

A2E5FB48-ACBE-4281-8F17-45C132B07428.jpeg

E63BBF63-6499-4961-8944-9FCBF7D33CF4.jpeg

• Like 1

So this is the screen I went for. Its the 14.3 inch running through the Rpi. Link to all the info below).

i went for this screen as I think it looks clean and has plenty of functionality. Sadly my other printer has died so making this was tasked to a friend. 

https://github.com/VoronDesign/VoronUsers/tree/master/printer_mods/jeoje/4.3_Inch_Touchscreen_Mount

image.jpg

• Like 2

Getting there! 

impatience is a real curse when making a Voron. I want and will get the Keenovo heater pad when they become available, and il upgrade this cheap build plate but for now i’m super keen to get this machine running. On that note if anyone can recommend a good build plate system i’m all ears. 

5B655333-C1B6-43A3-82C9-C41A0292E45E.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Killajoedotcom said:

Looking good! After building my V0.1 I really want to get a 2.4. As soon as LDO releases their kit, I'll probably get that one as well. 
What would you say was the hardest part of the build for you?

I think for me it comes down to two parts, i’m a perfectionist so I found getting the frame and gantry as square as I wanted was tough, well above that though I have really found it difficult to build the software side of things. I dont think it’s hard but I’m more me comfortable with the mechanical than programming. That said though I know exactly what i’m doing now so i’d find it alot easier. Go for the 2.4, you’ll find it easy if you have done this before. 

• Like 1

To help others who might be following your build - What specifically did you find hard about the software and what did you learn from the process that you could share and make it easier for others?

AKA - If you were going to create documentation, or a guide - what would you want to include that you wish you would have known when starting the software side?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2021 at 6:34 PM, Demosth said:

To help others who might be following your build - What specifically did you find hard about the software and what did you learn from the process that you could share and make it easier for others?

AKA - If you were going to create documentation, or a guide - what would you want to include that you wish you would have known when starting the software side?

So first of all, I would assume that people build Voron’s with a combination of 4 resources; the assembly manual, the Voron design site, the CAD file, and Youtube Build videos/livestreams.
The problem I have had is that when the buildstreams encounter a problem, they skirt around it, resolve it between streams and then the next video presents a resolved issue. It doesn't help people with the same problems.

I found it really hard building the firmware because I had 2 SD cards with faulty partitions. They had been through a Go pro that was adding weird stuff which ultimately meant that even in Disk config I couldn't format them properly in FAT32.

besides that it’s just confidence i’d say. The firmware is really as simple as copy/paste/ press return but it’s the only time you are blindly dependant on the work of others.  

• Thanks 2

Wiring…. A great time to start a new Netflix series

so despite ordering a pre-made loom Impatience has struck again and I have bought all the wire I need and i’m glad I did.

in all honestly the boredom of routing>soldering>crimping cable after cable is replaced with pleasure when you can find a good series to watch. In this case I have rewatched stranger things, and in the space of 1 season I have wired all the ends-stops, all the gear on the printhead and all the steppers. 

it isn't hard and it’s really methodical. Honestly, if you’ve gotten this far you can do the bloody wiring! 

F8F8D1C4-59EF-4B5B-9286-B63682779EB7.jpeg

• Like 2