Voron 2.4 300 X 300, self-sourced

zohsix

I hadn't anticipated starting a build log until I actually started to build my Voron 2.4, but because I decided to self-source instead of buying a kit I thought I'd share my experience.

To begin, I don't have a lot of 3D printing experience other than assembling a Prusa 3S+, but I do have plenty of experience building drones, other R/C vehicles and building Raspberry Pi/Arduino electronic projects.  I bought the Prusa to print items for the other projects I had going and fell in love with 3D printing.  So, I wanted to print with advanced materials and started looking for a second printer and found Voron.  It's the best of both worlds for me, I get to assemble a printer, and, get a quality printer that can print advanced materials.

The decision to self-source was based on my goal  to get as many high quality components as I could, within reason, and being retired I had plenty of time.  I started with the V 2.4 Configurator on the Voron site and generated a Bill of Material for a 300mm X 300mm printer.  There are about 110 items on the BOM that would have to be acquired and the Voron Sourcing Guide pointed me to several online sources.  I prefer to buy online items from US based companies, even though most of the components are manufactured in Asia,  and quickly found out that would make the sourcing more of a challenge. Many US suppliers had some items in stock but many of the items were sold out and I had to go looking for them.  It took about three weeks and about 40 hours of my time to purchase everything I needed and I was able to source everything from the US except the control board, a full set of printed components, and four LDO SS Rails.

In order to keep track of all the necessary purchases, I created a spread sheet from the Voron generated BOM.  Besides item descriptions and quantities, I included columns for the date when the item was purchased, who it was purchased from, the cost, and when the item was delivered.  The longest wait times were the extrusions from Misumi and they are due in November, and the complete set of printed components due the end of October.  I plan on starting the actual build in January.  I've attached below the spread sheet as it stands today, but have removed the prices I paid per item.  In total, I've spent about $2,000 including shipping and taxes.

Voron 2.4 BOM 300mm No Cost.ods   

These are the companies that I purchased all of the items on the BOM:

Bolt Depot
            McMaster-Carr
            Misumi US
            KB-3D
            Amazon
            Filistruder
            Fabreeko
            OneTwo3D (UK)
            Digikey
            Digimach
            OpenBuilds
            PrintedSolid
            C.S. Hyde
            Mandala Rose
            Keenovo
            Pirate3D (Zurich)
            AliExpress (China)

I've had a good experience with all of the vendors so far and would not hesitate to purchase from them again.

As I start actually building the printer I'll post my progress.

Regards.

Edited by zohsix
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hello Simos2.4,

Thanks for your interest, and yes, I did start the build.  Life always seems to happen and while I have made good progress, I did not have the time to do any sort of a build log.  The printers is mostly assembled and I am loading software/firmware on the Raspberry and Fysetc Spider.  I'll spend a little time and detail some of my lessons learned.

28 minutes ago, zohsix said:

Hello Simos2.4,

Thanks for your interest, and yes, I did start the build.  Life always seems to happen and while I have made good progress, I did not have the time to do any sort of a build log.  The printers is mostly assembled and I am loading software/firmware on the Raspberry and Fysetc Spider.  I'll spend a little time and detail some of my lessons learned.

Nice! that's good progress, post a few pics if you can I bet those aluminum composite panels are sexy AF  😁 btw hit the 'Quote' button to reply so users get notified. Cheers!

1 hour ago, Simon2.4 said:

Nice! that's good progress, post a few pics if you can I bet those aluminum composite panels are sexy AF  😁 btw hit the 'Quote' button to reply so users get notified. Cheers!

The composite panels are REALLY nice.  Seems like a better idea than plastic.