Motion system Switchwire

Hi there.

I'm at the part of the install on my Ender/switchwire conversion where I am checking the motion system. That is x and y.

When I home y - all good

When I home x the carriage goes from left to right but also down....  ?????  

When I home z it goes up  ???

My probe triggers like it is suppose too.

HELP!  lol

2 hours ago, Razor1666 said:

When I home z it goes up  ???

In Klipper you need to change the direction of the dir_pin

[stepper_z]
step_pin: PF11
dir_pin: PG3                              to !PG3 (Remember to use the actual PIN number)

enable_pin: !PG5
rotation_distance: 40

See if that solves the problem of both movement alone X. If not then I will look at the wiring of the Z motor

Yes I gave that a go and that caused the x to move left to right on homing. Hmmmm...

I did get my Z to go in the correct direction by setting the position endstop at 200. However when homed the z is at 200 not 0. It's like it thinks it's a corexy instead of a corexz where the bed moves up to zero

I have attached my printer config. Any help would be appreciated

z_up_printer.cfg

8 minutes ago, Razor1666 said:

Yes I gave that a go and that caused the x to move left to right on homing. Hmmmm..

This graphic gives a good visual of which motor connections/dir-pins need to be changed based on which direction the toolhead is going. Further up the page it goes into more detail that is well worth reading.

• Like 1

Got it!

My issue was when I made changes that didn't work I reverted back to my previous settings, instead of looking at the way it moved after the changes as a new scenario.

Ok, onward and upward.

PS I had to swap the connection and reverse the z direction

• Like 2

Switchwire update:

Ok....machine moving. Extruder pushing plastic. However, I'm having a devil of a time getting the z-offset correct...(good think I'm using an old sheet 🙂 ) No matter what I do, I have to bump it up 0.65 every time I start a print. I've gone thru the official documentation step by step multiple times...

I've also noticed that when I move 100mm in z direction from mainsail, it only moves up 55mm.....hmmmmm Maybe this is my z-offset issue??

When I move X 100mm it goes like 96mm.  I've tried adjusting the rotational distance on X & Z but with these motors working together, I'm going on the asumption the values need to be the same...???

I haven't changed my current to z motor yet. I believe it's at 0.58...  Thinking of bumping it to 0.7.  Then maybe swap out the motor??  ... All suggestions welcome??

14 minutes ago, Razor1666 said:

I'm going on the asumption the values need to be the same...???

This is a very safe assumption that is based on another assumption that the X and Z steppers are matched. If one is a 1.8 and the other 0.9 degree then things will get interesting.

Have you checked how far the Z moves when commanded to move 100mm? Is it possible that the motors are skipping steps?

Edited by atrushing

Yes...When I tell Z to move 100mm it moves 55mm up...(just eyeballing with a ruler). I could mark the belt and measure how far the belt moves.

The motors are both creality 42-34 steppers. both motors are set to 40 for rotational distance and 16 microsteps. Stealthchop set to 999999. (Not sure what this is for.. I've seen it set to 250 in other printer.cfg files.... I not sure if changing that will affect anything

I don't hear the motors skipping but it's possible....???

I have some troubleshooting ahead of me  🙂

38 minutes ago, Razor1666 said:

Yes...When I tell Z to move 100mm it moves 55mm up...(just eyeballing with a ruler). I could mark the belt and measure how far the belt moves.

The motors are both creality 42-34 steppers. both motors are set to 40 for rotational distance and 16 microsteps. Stealthchop set to 999999. (Not sure what this is for.. I've seen it set to 250 in other printer.cfg files.... I not sure if changing that will affect anything

I don't hear the motors skipping but it's possible....???

I have some troubleshooting ahead of me  🙂

Sorry, I missed that you mentioned the Z travel in the first post.

The 999999 sets the driver in stealthchop mode which makes the motor run quieter while loosing a bit of torque/speed. If the motors don't sound very smooth you can change between the modes and see which is smoother. It is possible to set a threshold when the drivers should change between stealth and spread but that can cause odd behavior at the transition so it is recommended to use one or the other.
    # Set to 999999 to turn stealthchop on, and 0 to use spreadcycle

Is it possible that you missed a jumper under one of the TMC2209 drivers and it isn't operating in UART mode?