Dual rail Y for switchwire

RopusLongus

Morning

I have a few questions about a dual y mod on my SW Project.

1 decision I am u sure with : I will use 3 rails with 2 belted rails on the outside ( there comes the first problem) but my original idea was to use 1 wagon mgn12h in the middle and 2 on each rail right and left.

After puzzling the beginning I did see that 2 wagons are to much cause I wouldn't reach the full 310x310 dimension of my print area.

Question now : would 1 rail Waggon be enough on each rail ( as bed carrier I used a custom made printed carrier with the holes from the mk52 one)

I hope someone enlights me.

Greeting

Ropey

Oooo....I'm trying to picture what you're attemping.

Given that the standard swtichwire only has a singular linear rail and it manages without supporting the corners/edges of the bed-frame then I would say you probably could get away with a single carriage on your other two rails.

Having said that I'm not entirely sure 3 rails would be a great solution. That's probably an alignment hell you're setting up. I once tried using two linear rails for a y-carriage and that was so much hassle I just took them out. The trouble is the bed-carrier, being made of metal, very rigidly couples/joins both sets of rails (or in your plan all three rails). There's no flex or wiggle-room in that set up therefore your tolerances and alignments have to be absolutely spot on probably in the order of <0.05mm otherwise the rails will bind and the movement will be horrible.

I might be misunderstanding what you're trying to do with the 3 rails (as I say I'm trying to picture it) so I could be way off the mark in my thoughts but my gut feel is it's going to be very  "challenging".

I will post a picture about it when my extrusions arrive.

And yes I know it's a bloody hell of doing it and calibrating that stuff. But I had to work with linear rails also in my job so I knew what I'm up to.

If it works it will be quite good but atm I'm also into 2 rails with a mid sitting endstop. A quick test with an adapter yesterday showed me its horrible 🙈🙈🙈🙈.

Ich habe 2 MGN12 Schienen in meinem SwitchWire verbaut mit 3 Wagen. 

Abstand der Schönen 210mm. 

Ich muss dazu sagen, dass ich den SwitchWire von Grund auf neu konstruiert habe um Teile meines Sidwinder x1 zu verwenden. 

Der Träger ist nur gedruckt als Test und wird durch 6mm CFK ersetzt 

16710755087571624681503126308741.jpg

16710756040105178684243111195957.jpg

Edited by StMe

On 12/15/2022 at 4:39 AM, StMe said:

Ich habe 2 MGN12 Schienen in meinem SwitchWire verbaut mit 3 Wagen. 

Abstand der Schönen 210mm. 

Ich muss dazu sagen, dass ich den SwitchWire von Grund auf neu konstruiert habe um Teile meines Sidwinder x1 zu verwenden. 

Der Träger ist nur gedruckt als Test und wird durch 6mm CFK ersetzt 

16710755087571624681503126308741.jpg

16710756040105178684243111195957.jpg

So ähnlich war es bei mir auch aber ich wollte halt von Grund auf den Look beibehalten.

Dadurch werde ich jetzt wohl nur mit 1 Wagen pro schiene arbeiten. Wie ich sehe sind Deine Rails auch wesentlich länger. Ich habe halt nur die umgeänderten Dimension von 400mm anstatt 300 (der Switchwire ist vom Gestell her in jeder Dimension 100mm größer)

On 12/22/2022 at 4:48 PM, StMe said:

Bist du mitlerweile weiter gekommen?

Ich habe mich für 2MGN12 Schienen auf 4 Wagen entschieden.

Der Heizbettträger wird demnächst aus 5 oder 6 mm Carbonplatte in Auftrag gegeben

Ich hab mich für 3 rails mit je 1 mgn12 h entschieden und eine 6mm Alu Platte.

37 minutes ago, StMe said:

Hast du Bilder dazu? 

Nur vom grundaufbau. Ich muss noch die Grundplatte Bohren. Im eigentlichen ist es der Aufbau wie Du ihn hast nur das ich die original Rail drinn lasse für den Endschalter und zum stabilisieren.

Für den Spanner muss ich noch den Zugblock ändern und drucken.

Wenn ich das fertig habe stelle ich Bilder davon rein.