Help with Print_Start macro and SuperSlicer

Penatr8tor

Question

Hi all... I'm stumped.

Goal:

I want to click on "Upload and Print" in Mainsail and follow this sequence of events. If it's possible.

1. Home all axes

2. Heat Bed to temp set in slicer

3. Heat nozzle to 150c

4. Quad gantry level

5. Probe bed and save mesh to VORON

6. Activate bed mesh VORON

7. Heat nozzle to temp set in slicer

8. Print prime strip

9. Print

I have everything running except for heating the bed and nozzle. I just need a code fragment to insert into my macro that will set the bed temp to the slider temp and the nozzle temp to the slicer temp.

Thanks, Pete

Edited by Penatr8tor

17 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, Penatr8tor said:

I just need a code fragment to insert into my macro that will set the bed temp to the slider temp and the nozzle temp to the slicer temp.

You need the following in your Prusa/Super Slicer custom Gcode:

_PRINT_START tool_temp=[first_layer_temperature] bed_temp=[first_layer_bed_temperature]

Then the following code in your macro should get you going:

... Home all axes ...
M140 S{ params.BED_TEMP }      ; set bed temp
M190 S{ params.BED_TEMP }      ; wait for bed temp
M104 S150                                    ; set extruder temp to 150C
... Quad gantry level ...
... Probe bed and save mesh to VORON ...
... Activate bed mesh VORON ...
M104 S{ params.TOOL_TEMP }    ; set extruder temp
M109 S{ params.TOOL_TEMP }    ; wait for extruder temp
... Print prime strip ...
... Print ...

Edited by atrushing
accidently posted before I was done typing..
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, smirk said:

do you need to define the pseudo parameters (params.BED_TEMP) as part of the call to print_start within your slicer GCODE

The line in your custom slicer gcode:

_PRINT_START tool_temp=[first_layer_temperature] bed_temp=[first_layer_bed_temperature]

tells the slicer to grab the values from the generated gcode and pass them as BED_TEMP and TOOL_TEMP to Klipper when it calls the _PRINT_START macro.

2022-11-28-230631_1914x1048_scrot.png.b6077570856056df89abcb7bf6094014.png

• Like 1

I found this and am going to try it. If it doesn't work then I'll come back here and try yours @atrushing.

https://github.com/AndrewEllis93/Print-Tuning-Guide/blob/main/articles/passing_slicer_variables.md

BTW... Thanks for jumping to my rescue so quickly. 👍 It's very much appreciated.

I'll let you know how it works.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Penatr8tor said:

I found this and am going to try it.

It looks like he creates variables from the parameters and then uses the variables directly within the gcode commands. This takes care of the problem I mentioned where the slicer will automatically insert heating commands before anything else if it doesn't already see them.

There is so much to learn in this hobby! Thanks for the link.

I tried the first method and the bed started heating to 110 and I had it set in SS to be 60. So I tried your code and it was still heating the bed to 110 and then I checked SS and I had an ASA filament profile. Doh!!! I set a PLA profile and it made it all way through and started printing. Z offset was still a little bit too high so I lowered the Z offset -0.02 and saved the value to "probe". I'm trying it again.

I also plugged in your code for SS as well.

Below is what my print_start macro looks like.

image.png.367c864c5d1f311ae49620cc220f68cb.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Penatr8tor said:

I explored this guys github... AndrewEllis93 

The Gold standard for getting any printer tuned to perfection. A wealth of knowledge on those GitHub pages. I think most of us has used his tuning guides and keep using them for each filament. Glad you discovered it and benefiting from it.

• Like 2

"Have you run the Andrew Ellis print tuning?" is the pat question for every new printer posting. For good reason as you are discovering.

I declare variables for the passed parameters and give them basic PLA defaults. I also go straight to the M109 & M190 commands. No need for M104/M140.

If you want to look at some really advanced concepts, check the zellneralex Github repository. I swiped a lot of ideas from there

• Like 2

Funny... I remember now getting that advice a number of years ago but had forgotten about it until I had issues and went solution hunting.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check out his stuff, I know at a minimum I'll become more dangerous errr I mean knowledgeable. 😄

@claudermilk Hey... how did you resolve your nylon printing issue? Any luck getting it to print properly?