If anyone finds it.... CNC Stealthburner (or at least the carriage) CW2/Dragon...

Buurman

Question

12 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, Buurman said:

Thanks all btw... 

I ordered this CNC carriage a while ago, and I use it with a beacon attached to it for months now.. very happy with it...

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005006150203197.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.587579d23AtuaQ&gatewayAdapt=glo2nld

Converted all the big boy Voron's to this and as you, love it. I find the beacon probe so much more accurate than TAP. Better first layers across the whole build plate. Just installed a "clone beacon" or more accurate a Canbus Cartographer probe on the Micron. Will see how that goes. Painless install BTW - had to rebuild the toolhead, so decided to give this one a try.

• Like 1
  • Voron FTW! 1

9 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Converted all the big boy Voron's to this and as you, love it. I find the beacon probe so much more accurate than TAP. Better first layers across the whole build plate. Just installed a "clone beacon" or more accurate a Canbus Cartographer probe on the Micron. Will see how that goes. Painless install BTW - had to rebuild the toolhead, so decided to give this one a try.

Yes, I do think the TAP v2 CNC is also gold, but the beacon is just a beast.

So a CNC carriage (just makes everything super solid) with a beacon is great combination. prints never looked better, but that is still a combination of a lot of things.

Only thing I still like to try is a USB "canbus" so that the beacon can be connected to the "canbus" interface so you dont have the extra cable to the hotend.

1 hour ago, Buurman said:

Only thing I still like to try is a USB "canbus" so that the beacon can be connected to the "canbus" interface so you dont have the extra cable to the hotend

Unfortunately the LDO Nighthawk toolbar does not have the ability to chain USB devices.  And as far as I know you cannot splice into a cable like you can with Canbus to add another device. You will need a hub.  A tiny nano-hub may work:

image.thumb.png.df35668ac3db2447fb0200b6674f6d9e.png

Now there is a project! You got me thinking my friend! (And you know that is dangerous)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, mvdveer said:

Unfortunately the LDO Nighthawk toolbar does not have the ability to chain USB devices

I didnt know, thx... seemed for me number one case to try it... so need to think of something else then or wait for someone smarter to figure something out... hint.. 😛 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Buurman said:

so need to think of something else

I think this will work - will give it a try - see if I can source some of these:

image.thumb.png.2463ac5cd2b8cfd03d849b86fbacd116.png

I wonder what your idea is .... 

Putting this in your Stealthburner in combination with.... LDO Nighthawk? but you still have 2 cables... OR you need to be able to connect the nighthawk directly to USB too, but I think you need a USB board for that seperately.. no space for all of that in you Stealthburner.. and makes no sense...

I am wondering where your mind is going with this....

The USB cable from the Pi will be soldered to the mini board, then the cable for the Nighthawk and Beacon soldered on the two outlets. Just have to design a nice case for it.

Alternatively, USB ports can be soldered on but this would make it bulky. Currently trying to source a board to see the physical size and if it can be discreetly fitted somewhere on the toolhead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mvdveer said:

The USB cable from the Pi will be soldered to the mini board, then the cable for the Nighthawk and Beacon soldered on the two outlets. Just have to design a nice case for it.

Alternatively, USB ports can be soldered on but this would make it bulky. Currently trying to source a board to see the physical size and if it can be discreetly fitted somewhere on the toolhead.

ah I assumed that inbetween the PI and Nighthawk there was another board... I think I seen that somewhere, but maybe its not needed?

Or the board is there, but its a normal usb connection, so you can still use it as you mention it above... well that would be how I imagined it in the first place.. it would be cool if it fitted...

• Like 1