Tony

34 minutes ago, Calvinx said:

Factually with regards the duet hardware requirement to get a voron 2.4 operational is INCORRECT. 

The minimum required  equipment to get a Voron 2.4 running with genuine duet hardware (a requirement of 7 drivers) would be a Duet-3 min-5+ TMC2209 drivers (with the additional x2 driver board) which comes in at €153.72 (plus shipping) which by my simple mathematics skills is nowhere close to €385.00 this is a huge overestimation due to being uniformed about what is actually required to run a Voron 2.4

If you wish to have the convenience of RRF for an even lower cost that is a possibility too as there is an approved fork of RRF from team gloomy which allows you to run RRF on various  boards which employ the STM32F4 processor, for example the BIGTREETECH Octopus V1.1 which can be purchased for €57.00 but if you add (and can actually get them) TMC5160 drivers which when i just searched for now the cheapest i can find is €121.90 so that comes in at €178.90  (Or €91.95 with TMC2209 drivers) 

And if you want to go the route of TMC 5160 drivers on a Duet board you would only need the 6HC and a single 1LC toolboard which comes in at €278.09 again nowhere near the incorrect figure of €385.00 you are overestimating at the very least by over a hundred Euro's 

Sorry, but as I never worked with Duet HW, I didn't know of the 3mini. When I read the specs of it I question if this is a good choice for the V2.4 . They write"... Duet 3 Mini 5+ Wifi balances value and performance, focused on small and medium size machines that do not need the high power output of the Duet 3 Mainboard 6HC..." .

The processor is a 120MHz ARM CPU and will most likely need a SBC to run a V2.4 .
If I compare the price of that from here: https://www.filafarm.de/en/products/duet-3-mini-5-wifi?_pos=10&_sid=174df5550&_ss=r €148.75
plus the Duet 3 Mini 2+ Dual Stepper Expansion Board €27.37
plus SBC eg. RPI 4B ~€68
=~€240 plus shipping
vs.
Octopus Pro incl. 8x2209 ~€72 (-8% with code BIQU8) (https://biqu.equipment/collections/control-board/products/bigtreetech-octopus-pro-v1-0-chip-f446?variant=39456281133154)
plus SBC €68
= ~130 including shipping

IMHO the extra ~€110 are not worth it as the Duet 3 mini will need SBC.

The 6 TMC5160 from BTT are €79.65 incl. shipping. (The code BIQU8 gives 8% off the order)   https://biqu.equipment/collections/driver-board/products/bigtreetech-tmc5160-v1-0-driver-spi-mode-silent-high-precision-stepstick-stepper-motor-driver-with-heatsink-for-skr-v1-3-gen-v1-4-reprap?variant=39564434178146

Don't get me wrong, I don't say that the Duet way would be wrong, far from it. But it has a higher price tag.

49 minutes ago, Tina said:

Sorry, but as I never worked with Duet HW, I didn't know of the 3mini. When I read the specs of it I question if this is a good choice for the V2.4 . They write"... Duet 3 Mini 5+ Wifi balances value and performance, focused on small and medium size machines that do not need the high power output of the Duet 3 Mainboard 6HC..." .

The processor is a 120MHz ARM CPU and will most likely need a SBC to run a V2.4 .
If I compare the price of that from here: https://www.filafarm.de/en/products/duet-3-mini-5-wifi?_pos=10&_sid=174df5550&_ss=r €148.75
plus the Duet 3 Mini 2+ Dual Stepper Expansion Board €27.37
plus SBC eg. RPI 4B ~€68
=~€240 plus shipping
vs.
Octopus Pro incl. 8x2209 ~€72 (-8% with code BIQU8) (https://biqu.equipment/collections/control-board/products/bigtreetech-octopus-pro-v1-0-chip-f446?variant=39456281133154)
plus SBC €68
= ~130 including shipping

IMHO the extra ~€110 are not worth it as the Duet 3 mini will need SBC.

The 6 TMC5160 from BTT are €79.65 incl. shipping. (The code BIQU8 gives 8% off the order)   https://biqu.equipment/collections/driver-board/products/bigtreetech-tmc5160-v1-0-driver-spi-mode-silent-high-precision-stepstick-stepper-motor-driver-with-heatsink-for-skr-v1-3-gen-v1-4-reprap?variant=39564434178146

Don't get me wrong, I don't say that the Duet way would be wrong, far from it. But it has a higher price tag.

And NOT i.m.h.o.p. but factually this is again incorrect and certainly NOT an extra €110, Duet control boards DO-NOT require a SBC to operate they ALL run in standalone mode.

Prices for the Duet-3 Mini 5+ (and expansion board) can be purchased for the amount I already listed which is  €153.72 (plus shipping) 

Also for the reason I have previously listed, component quality and component tolerance levels of Chinese equipment simply does not to compare to the components used by the Duet, for example the Duet uses genuine "wurth" crimp connectors on their motor control wires, they use a material thickness of 0.19mm  and if you compare that to the material thickness of the Chinese control boards for the same application they employ a material thickness of 0.15mm I could go on and on and list the manufacturers and the specs of connectors etc which factually outperform the Chinese board manufacturers components.

Duet always uses 2oz copper P.C.B. boards which aids in heat dissipation (especially with regards to driver heat management) it is well known that to save costs the Chinese board manufacturers only employ 1oz copper P.C.B. boards and the Chinese board manufacturers incorrectly add Heat-Sink Cooling via Aluminium Heat-Sinks to the top on the driver chips when on the trinamic drivers the top cover is made of plastic which is actually an insulator rendering the Heat-Sink useless, as the actual heat dissipation takes place via the soldered ground plane connection to the board using the whole PCB as one large heat sink place.

This all leads to a slightly higher price but a case of buy the correct thing once.

At this juncture I have presented all pertinent facts with regards the factual superiority of Duet hardware and if the economy end of the market is unwilling to accept that a premium product is slightly more expensive (but not by much when you take into account the component choice and the warranty) for a reason, then I have nothing further to add to the discussion, you can take a horse to water and all that...

Edited by Calvinx
spelling