Part Cooling Fan always on?

Wannabe

Question

I just finished my build, V2.4 as per BOM, CW1 with hartK PCB, Octupus V1.x.

Klipper and mainstail installed and configured without any apparent issues, initial startup checks complete with no issues, SuperSlicer setup and configured with no issues.

A couple of small test prints completed with minimal issues.

So everything seems in order expect for the fact that the Part Cooling Fan starts up immediately on power up and stays on.

Mainsail Dashboard indicates fan is turned off, adjusting the slider to 100% does nothing, LCD panel on printer shows fan is turned off, also any adjustments on the lcd does nothing.

Double checked my wiring on board FAN0 pin: PA8. Printer.cfg reflects correct pin assignment.

Double checked wiring on PCB and that appears correct also.

Hotend Fan working correctly as FAN1 PE5

Any suggestions at what I should be looking at

6 answers to this question

I might try another one of the fan ports (say fan 2 which would be pin PD12),naturally you'd need to double check the voltage set up for the other FAN to make sure it matched the original FAN0. You'd only need to change the pin assignment (to PD12) in the klipper setup, and switch the physical connection at the octopus end. Checking the BTT pin-out diagram the polarities (orientations) are all the same across all the fan ports.

I guess that would help eliminate any physical problem with the FAN0 port. I wouldn't have expected it to come on without software control so odd that klipper/mainsail/fluidd says it is off when it's clearly pumping out electrons. I'm assuming the polarity on the current FAN0 connections are all correct as it's spinning 😉

Was going to ask, even though you check connections if fans were connected to the "negative" on the fan ports as connection from PCB utilise the "neg" connection

Fan 0 (yellow) is hotted and Fan1 (green) is part cooling fan - connections from PCB

IMG_2486.thumb.jpeg.8a9bbd7154c20c6c2f943be2c0a79061.jpeg

15 hours ago, smirk said:

I might try another one of the fan ports (say fan 2 which would be pin PD12),naturally you'd need to double check the voltage set up for the other FAN to make sure it matched the original FAN0. You'd only need to change the pin assignment (to PD12) in the klipper setup, and switch the physical connection at the octopus end. Checking the BTT pin-out diagram the polarities (orientations) are all the same across all the fan ports.

I guess that would help eliminate any physical problem with the FAN0 port. I wouldn't have expected it to come on without software control so odd that klipper/mainsail/fluidd says it is off when it's clearly pumping out electrons. I'm assuming the polarity on the current FAN0 connections are all correct as it's spinning 😉

Issue solved! ... I took your advice and moved everything over 1 port and reassigned the pins in printer.cfg to reflect the move.

So it appears for what ever reason the port for FAN0 is toast not sure if that is because I did something wrong or if it was a quality control issue .

I just finished a small test print and PCF, HEF and exhause fans all seem to be working correctly, I will do further testing to further verify correct operation

I certainly appreciate your help, thanks.

14 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Was going to ask, even though you check connections if fans were connected to the "negative" on the fan ports as connection from PCB utilise the "neg" connection

Fan 0 (yellow) is hotted and Fan1 (green) is part cooling fan - connections from PCB

IMG_2486.thumb.jpeg.8a9bbd7154c20c6c2f943be2c0a79061.jpeg

Yep, my layout is extacly as yours.

I appear to have solved my issue as noted in the post above.

Appreciate your reply.

By the way, compliments on your tidy wiring layout, and I thought mine was neatly done until I saw your picture.

11 hours ago, claudermilk said:

Here's my config for the part fan on my Octopus V1.1. It's worked as expected from the first power on:

[fan]
##  Print Cooling Fan - FAN0
pin: PA8
kick_start_time: 0.5
off_below: 0.10

and the wiring (it's the leftmost one):

PXL_20220415_090240134.jpg.dc8418e0b9446a6d7a3d2683ed26ecff.jpg

I certainly appreciate your reply, another confirmation that my initial wiring was correct.

I seem to have solved my issue as noted in the above post.