No longer a question, it will be the start of a DOC to make setup easier

SteveThatcher

Question

History - I have run across so many problems with enumerated USB serial ports, that I have been trying to get a direct serial link working. The ls -l /dev/serial/by-id/* does not work for any regular serial port because a folder is only created for enumerated USB devices (at least that is what I have experienced). I have gone down the USB side only to have the klipper.log tell me that it can't find the folder for the device name (it doesn't exist anyway - the only folder that is there is serial which comes before the  device name).

I have tried fluiddpi and mainsail, both have behaved in the same way. I did setup Octoprint today and I am getting a firmware return value from the controller through a direct serial link. My display doesn't work yet, but that will be just a matter of time and perseverance.

I really like fluiddpi better that the rest (much more file control ability between the Pi and the PC I develop on).

Currently - I am now successfully running fluiddPi with a direct serial link to the Octopus controller. Now I will work on getting the gantry and extruder/hotend installed, so I can get more status being returned from hardware.

Edited by SteveThatcher
  • Like 1

1 answer to this question