Extruder skipping/clicking noise

Wanderer22

I recently had a similar issue. It ended up being my retraction distance and speed settings in cura. Next time your nozzle jams hot pull ur filament out and check for a section of it that looks like a chipmunk tried to nibble it. If that's not it make sure ur not using a hardened nozzle designed for abrasives because sometimes running those at tenps lower than 240 IME has lead to jams.

Maybe a partial clog? I haven't had to deal much with clogs so far--just a partial and full on the Mini that cold pulls resolved. Both due to switching from PETG or ABS back to PLA.

My Trident CW2 clicking was due to under-specing the current. bumping from 0.4 to 0.45 resolved it for me and it's been running like a dream since.

So, my experience is now exhausted. 🤷‍♂️

On 3/9/2022 at 5:13 PM, Wanderer22 said:

Voron 2 Dragon HF 0.4mm nozzle, printing PETG at 235-250C - I have extruder skipping noise + trying to fix for last 2 weeks without success. No filament is extruded at start, something it prints couple of layers then get clogged. I replaced a PTFE tube that was a bit short but problem is still happening.

I have 3 queries:

1. What are the 'ideal' speed + layer height in Superslicer? 

2. It's hard to pinpoint the problem: heat creep may be the problem as filament bulges out, I can try the spare V6 clone if Dragon is defective

3. Or BMG + CW1 not grabbing filament. I am looking for any upgrade suggestions for reliable extrusion, should I upgrade to?

- CNC aluminium CW1 kit

- CW2 with new stealhburner

- LGX or LGX Lite

Thank you

Out of the current options to be ERCF complaint (which is important for me) the Galileo seems to be the best current option. However, I am considering just buying an Orbiter 2.0 and using the motor for a CW2 while I wait for someone to release a mod to use Orbiter 2.0 with ERCF. It needs a filament sensor after the gears. I was going to do LGX Lite but I'm not impressed with what I've been seeing/reading about it, too much backlash.