The Rig - Universal Electronics Testing Lab

PFarm

mvdveer
This post was recognized by mvdveer!

"For all your help on the Forum"

PFarm was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 100 points.

From the creator of the Stealth Heat Insert Press. Not a printer but a useful tool for those of us who like to test the functionality of components and software before installing them into a printer.  STL Link A new revision is available see the post here.

image.thumb.png.30af0fcb7fbb7e1a004fe7f3e5aac05f.png

image.thumb.png.666348cc772f13cf8e46fea569fa3d48.png 

I've started printing the printed parts and ordered the DIN rails, switch and power cord. Check out the Assembly Video

Edited by PFarm
  • Like 3

Oh No - not another project for the list😄. But much better than my home made test station. Will definitely do this one - Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, mvdveer said:

Oh No - not another project for the list😄. But much better than my home made test station. Will definitely do this one - Thanks!

I thought of you when I posted this.

• Like 1

Awesome find @PFarm

I already ordered rails and an IEC power inlet. Sadly I could only find IEC inlets that are for a 1.5mm thick panel and the printed parts call for 2mm. But I have CAD and will make adjustments. And I also have a spare 24v and 5v meanwells for power.

Super cool little mini project that will come in handy for misc. projects.

Thanks Jack!

• Like 1

Correction... The CAD model is already designed to use an IEC inlet for a 1.5mm panel so it should work without modification.

I think I'm going to print it in PLA. I have a ton of matte black laying around.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/10/2024 at 11:17 AM, Penatr8tor said:

Correction... The CAD model is already designed to use an IEC inlet for a 1.5mm panel so it should work without modification.

The BOM calls for the AC-01-02

Screenshot2024-04-10at3_13_39PM.thumb.png.917910335f641775345e28c5e7e9742b.png

But AC-01-02 is 2mm thick so I wonder if I ordered the wrong switc

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 3.14.27 PM.png

Edited by PFarm
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/10/2024 at 9:04 AM, claudermilk said:

You must share this black magic! 😜

Buying longer din rails = Black Magic 🤣 But I do get what you meant by black magic 🙂

Edited by PFarm
  • Like 1

I saw something like this a while ago and thought to myself, that's a great little project. I need that!

I purchased most of it but totally forgot about it until now.  Thanks @PFarm for the post! Back to the top of my list again.... do others have lists?? lol

• Like 3

18 hours ago, PFarm said:

The BOM calls for the AC-01-02

Screenshot2024-04-10at3_13_39PM.thumb.png.917910335f641775345e28c5e7e9742b.png

But AC-01-02 is 2mm thick so I wonder if I ordered the wrong switch.

Screenshot2024-04-10at3_14_27PM.thumb.png.5567131d0f67510561a61d19b9f104c0.png

I've got a bunch of White ABS that I'll use 🙂

Totally agree but the CAD model is what will get printed and it measures 1.472mm. I have a 1.5mm unit arriving today and will test. FWIW, It will fit... or I will file it. 😄

It will 100% work, it'll just have .5mm more clearance is all.

image.thumb.png.cc7f8f03082b4baa4444aae82599ad6d.png

Edited by Penatr8tor
Forgot something...
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PFarm said:

@Penatr8tor maybe they both fit but the 2mm extended .5mm past the printed part.

.5mm is only .020". You'll barely be able to feel it if it's loose at all. Printed parts need a min of .2mm min. clearance to fit, another .3mm won't matter. If it does... then a little hot glue will fix it. I'm guessing I'll have to do a little carving to get the 1.5mm inlet to clear. Worst case I can cut away the majority of the part so that we could quickly print the IEC Inlet area to test the fit as opposed to printing the whole 4.5 hour part. I'm printing the whole part now and it looks like I need some support on the mains cover screw holes. The design could also use some coring out to reduce print time and filament usage. I'll probably make changes at lunch time and upload a 2mm and 1.5mm version as well.

• Like 1

OK, So I printed the IEC Inlet side and here's what I found...

You need support under the mains cover screw holes.

The mains cover and the groove that it fits into are the same dimension aka they don't fit.

The window for the IEC Inlet is too tight, same size as the inlet aka doesn't fit.

The holes for heat set inserts are too large.

So... I'm making changes this morning to address these issues and will post my files in case you run into or don't want to experience the same issues I had.

I will report back soon.

• Like 1

OK, Made a few changes and a discovery...

I discovered that the holes for the inserts are for the larger (non-voron) M3 inserts. They are the 5mm OD x 4mm Lg inserts.

As for modifications... I created more clearance for the IEC Inlet and the groove for the Mains Cover. I also removed the recess to clear the screw bosses in the Mains Cover from left frame and lowered the bosses in the cover so that you can print the part flat without supports.

Below is a Zip of the STL's and also a Fusion 360 assembly in case you want to add or change anything.

The Rig - Optimized - Lg_Insert - STL.zipThe Rig - Optimized - Lg_Inserts v3.f3d

TheRig_Optimized-01.thumb.jpg.b9193790682ecdf08fe848920a3b3a39.jpg

TheRig_Optimized-02.thumb.jpg.d43ed42c98ebd2f94417d5d293f3b94a.jpg

TheRig_Optimized-03.jpg.3fcabaa222e485dcb1916a53835ff894.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, PFarm said:

I got the printed parts done just waiting on the ordered parts.

Did you print the parts I modified? How's the fit so far?

On mine I still had some interference on the Mains Cover part but it didn't really matter once I got the screws in. Even though I added 0.2mm more clearance all the way around for the IEC Inlet, it was still on the tight side.

I learned a couple things along the way that could be useful.

1. Insert a DIN rail in the slot to use as a hard stop when you put the heat set inserts in around the perimeter.

2. I used M3 x 6 for the DIN rail screws.

3. You need two M3 x 14-15's for the Mains Cover.

4. Deburr the edges of all the DIN rails. This will decrease the frustration factor while trying to get things together by a good 10X. 😄

Here's a few photos of the finished RIG.

TheRig-Finished-01.thumb.jpg.786bc24299edf9eeddf40c5b78928f20.jpg

TheRig-Finished-02.thumb.jpg.f87fad622caa105e74ccd05c45fce741.jpg

TheRig-Finished-03.thumb.jpg.e2d04687cb9f5a44efbfb975b285b155.jpg

TheRig-Finished-04.thumb.jpg.a87bf787288fe195c333b5af3787f670.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Penatr8tor said:

1. Insert a DIN rail in the slot to use as a hard stop when you put the heat set inserts in around the perimeter.

Thanks for the great tips, it's funny how great minds think alike I was going to do exactly that my thought was how do I prevent pushing the heat insert through the hole? 👍

• Like 2