R.I.P LDO NiteHawk - The PCB to END ALL CAN-USB discussions

Dirk

Tad early to be digging any graves. 😂 I know I will get quality and support with LDO, I can’t say the same for Fysetc. I have had quite a few issues with Fysetc stuff, avoid them now. Hopefully this proves to be solid and another quality option. 👍🏻

Edited by ArkansasFPV
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Dirk said:

switched to and from USB to CAN.

Very much like the IDM scanners out there. Originally USB = Beacon, Other USB and CAN. (I bought a few to compare to the Beacon and will do a post on this.) In refreshing the firmware, I realised the CAN -IDM/Cartographer I bought can be used either as a Can connection or USB connection.

• Like 1

Looks like someone blew up the power connector 😉

But well I jsut ordered this CAN board since I now destroyed my second FLY board and im getting irritated.. and this just seems like a better solution:

image.thumb.png.e19e841564de43d173821113680a81bc.png

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Buurman said:

Looks like someone blew up the power connector 😉

Correct. Sharp eyes Buurman, no need for loop glasses or microscopes 😄

The reason is also simple... In fact it has the same reason why I blew up 2 Fysetc Spiders(Perfect service from Fysetc, 1 was replaced and second was refunded fully) and bought an Octopus Pro which has Shorting protection (sound and vibration).

Fysetc seems to not give much about where the Ground and where the 24v cables run. In this one, they switched the 24v with the GND compared to their CAN v1.

But luckily this is their first test version they sent out to people 🙂

The BTT EBB SB2209 SB2040 is a nice CAN toolhead board. I bought one (21 euros with new years sales), and after that bought a second as a backup (23 euros sales during valentine). I am now looking if I should get a third one 🙂

I did print and use a mod for the SB CW2, so the 120R pins and the Thermistor pins are not damaged and the thermistor cable can run freely.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mvdveer said:

realised the CAN -IDM/Cartographer I bought can be used either as a Can connection or USB connection.

Correct. The latest Cartographer (v3) can be switched to USB or CAN by simply flashing the right firmware. 

I believe the most IDMs still sold are v2, where it can be done also, but the chips do not support firmware switching from can to usb or vice versa. However it does work sometimes.

The Fysetc CAN / USB Toolhead board here, has a simple switch 🙂

I think a cool feature, less flashing, more pushing/sliding buttons.

• Like 1

Also a weird spot for mounting the Heater (HE0) connector. You'll have wires running across the board, potential to dislodge and short the board. Or is it just me being picky. As @ArkansasFPV, I have not have much luck with Fysetc stuff. (Out of 8 TMC2209 stepper drivers - 5 were defective). Mostly sticking to BTT and Mellow now

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, mvdveer said:

weird spot

I think it is just what you are used to 🙂

This is Fysetcs second version of the CAN toolhead board. The first one is very similar when you take a look at it. The HE0 is similar.

SB_CAN_TH_V13_TOP.jpg.209d07886ccac434451bc2e7381c58a8.jpg

And this board is very similar to the AfterBurner HartK toolhead board, where the heaters were connected with screws.

wiringAB.thumb.png.2725df1a88fa9d24f4a1e2e9f99ab36d.png

And about support... I have never bought from LDO, but I can assure you that I get all the support I need over simply the AliExpress sales person for either Fysetc, BTT, or Trianblelab. 

Also a matter of what you are used to I guess...

But before I go defending my Chinese friends, I also want to say that Fysetc is NOT the only company working on this style of toolhead board. Apparently 'the others' I assume BTT and Mellow are also working on a new toolhead PCB with can & usb functionality.

Edited by Dirk
not just Fysetc, ohers too!
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Dirk said:

I did print and use a mod for the SB CW2, so the 120R pins and the Thermistor pins are not damaged and the thermistor cable can run freely.

have a link to take a look?

I dont think its an issue with the 2209 2040 board, but want to be sure...

1 hour ago, Buurman said:

have a link to take a look?

There is no link. I am the only one complaining. BTT Helpdesk thought I printed and mounted things wrong.

You can check the btt github for ebb.

But here are some pictures I made.

Screenshot_20240321-121040.thumb.png.8329b37779c9c3b95e8b167480e232c1.png

Left original cw-2 plate, right the mod from printables.

Screenshot_20240321-1212092.thumb.png.f1a68a45fc11e1b671205bf347ba39b5.png

Me showing how the pcb lies on the cw-2.

Screenshot_20240321-1211412.png.ae10ff91daf300c4968511edfc3ce6b6.png

How with a thermistor pin it rides into the edge. (Which damaged my thermistor and my jumper below it on the 120 ohm resistor

Screenshot_20240321-1219222.png.6d3b150fa0d0c1da7a23438dee618b92.png

Here on the modded one, free willy. No damage. All freedom for cables and pins.

Screenshot_20240321-1211172.thumb.png.400b1a90bf32493bcb6656f807703404.png

Here BTT or CL person showing me I am stupid and can't mount pcb properly

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Mellow's got one should be available "any day now". Does USB/RS232/CAN/CAN-FD its Klipper and RRF compatable. Has the port for a scanning Z Probe daugther board. Oh and the Accerometer chipset is also Klipper/RRF compatable... First will be SteathBurnner form factor followed by the 36 nema 14 size one.
TURN DOWN Your sound!

Edited by Nurgelrot
  • Like 3