Stealth burner 2 pcb design,LDO extruder motor connector problem

SamppaD

Question

Hello.I finally found some spare time to continue with my Voron build I'm building a Voron 2.4R2 with LDO motor kit and have a issue with LDO motor connector  not fitting the stealth burner pcb on the toolhead. LDO motor is a LDO-36STH20-1004AHG (VRN), and pcb kit version is 4.0. So it looks like i need to change the stepper motor connector for a smaller one but it looks like motor wires  colors and arrangement  is different for VRN motor? Does anyone know how to connect this LDO motor to pcb,I couldn't find any guide on this? All help is appreciated.

IMG_20230903_153937.jpg

IMG_20240229_175634.jpg

IMG_20240229_175700.jpg

Edited by SamppaD

22 answers to this question

Did the toolhead board come with pins and connectors? Use those if it did. You can take a multimeter on continuity mode, pick one wire and connect it to a multimeter probe. Probe the other pins until you find one with continuity to your first pin. These two are now your 1A and 2A, the others are 1B and 2B. Any problems that arise after this are solvable in the config file with direction pin assignment. These instructions are from https://docs.vorondesign.com/build/electrical/ 

Those pins on the board are JST-PH if they were not included. A little harder to crimp than the XH that are already on there, but not as bad as the dreaded picoblade connectors on the SB2209/2240 boards.

• Like 1

Hi. Yes pcb kit came with pins and connectors housings. One of the kit connectors has a 4 pin housing that fits the pcb board ,this must be intended for swapping that connector on 
pancake motor. Pin assignment will be easy to fix in Klipper. This helps a lot,thanks for the link.👍

Edited by SamppaD
  • Like 1

@SamppaD You will need to snip, strip and crimp each of the 4 wires and insert them into the new connector body. The old ones will not work.

You'll need one of these... 15 bucks on Amazon

image.png.ebf97f8d2ab88eaebd2fabed9beee221.png

and one of these... 25 bucks on Amazon

image.png.2ed684aabe0ad78d39ec8f48b1795cff.png

You might have them already... just giving you a heads up. 

Color code is black, green, red, blue.

Posted (edited)

Hi. I have the tools needed. My extruder already has harness with color code black, green, red, blue looking from the top of the connector of extruder. My SB pcb has JST-PH connector on it. So  does SB pcb has a diffrend pin assigment or not? Is picture attached correct?   Thanks

IMG_20240301_070926.jpg

Edited by SamppaD
  • Like 1

@SamppaD

Close... You are backwards.

Check out this picture. The plug in the pic is oriented so that the little ridges in the plug match your image. You have Blk, Grn, Red, Blue and you need it to be Blue, Red, Grn, Blk.

Blk-Grn-Red-Blu.thumb.jpg.4ce7c4399d63a4d95cad55b10ee90454.jpg

This should work for you.

25 minutes ago, Penatr8tor said:

The trick is to load the terminal (you say connector) into the crimper first. Then insert the wire and squeeze. I'm also old so, an Opti-Visor really helps to see the small stuff.

A lot of the wiring tasks on these printers would be un-possible for me without the magnifier, they are well worth the investment. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, claudermilk said:

A lot of the wiring tasks on these printers would be un-possible for me without the magnifier, they are well worth the investment. 

Agree, I'd be lost without them.

On 3/1/2024 at 5:21 PM, claudermilk said:

magnifier

Really???

I can see up to PH2.0 with bare eyes. must be the age... 

Just done this crimp for my cartographer  probe, no magnifiersCarto.thumb.jpg.25b5080e970b9c20918300eeb13a0d30.jpg

Hi.I have crimped all wires no issues,just small connectors and big fingers issues. However i came across this site 
https://wiki.kb-3d.com/en/home/linneo/voron/PCBs/Stealthburner_Two_Piece_PCB
Site specify If you have the VRN edition of the stepper, the wires are a different color and order? They need to be Green, Red, Blue, Black (when looking from the top of the JST connector). With this order pins 1 and 4 (black and green) are one coil and pins 2 and 3  ( blue and red ) are second coil based on multimeter. Strange. 
I would asume that pins 1-2 are one coil and3-4 second one. So Blue,red green black should be correct but this site is providing diffrend guide. Well i need to add this thing to pre-flight list to check anyway. Extruder motor that i have is  LDO-36STH20-1004AHG (VRN).

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 10:36 AM, Dirk said:

Really???

I can see up to PH2.0 with bare eyes. must be the age... 

Just done this crimp for my cartographer  probe, no magnifiersCarto.thumb.jpg.25b5080e970b9c20918300eeb13a0d30.jpg

Just curious what magnification those red reading glasses are? Magnifiers come in all shapes and sizes. 😄

• Haha 2

On 3/2/2024 at 11:38 AM, SamppaD said:

Hi.I have crimped all wires no issues,just small connectors and big fingers issues. However i came across this site 
https://wiki.kb-3d.com/en/home/linneo/voron/PCBs/Stealthburner_Two_Piece_PCB
Site specify If you have the VRN edition of the stepper, the wires are a different color and order? They need to be Green, Red, Blue, Black (when looking from the top of the JST connector). With this order pins 1 and 4 (black and green) are one coil and pins 2 and 3  ( blue and red ) are second coil based on multimeter. Strange. 
I would asume that pins 1-2 are one coil and3-4 second one. So Blue,red green black should be correct but this site is providing diffrend guide. Well i need to add this thing to pre-flight list to check anyway. Extruder motor that i have is  LDO-36STH20-1004AHG (VRN).

Blue, Red, Green, Black is 100% the order if your stepper motor has those colors for the wires... There's also a second color scheme for pancake steppers and that is Blue, Yellow, Green, Red and that is 100% the order if your stepper has that wire color. This is the color scheme in the link you shared and also the image I snipped below.

image.thumb.png.79601b87eb6d41537cee1a8d44449b8b.png

So here's what you do...

If you have the same colors as the one above... then red, blue, green, yellow.

If you have the standard color scheme... then blue, red, green, black.

Don't worry, just follow instructions. You will be fine. 😎👍

And about this topic, what I would like to say is this...

NEVER TRUST THE WIRING COLORS! Always measure with an amperemeter.

My Voron kit is Fysetc. The harness that goes from MCU to toolhead, is for the GND pins. So there is 1 pin in the JST connector at the location of the MCU for heater-fan, 1 for parts-cooling-fan and so on.
I fried my Fysetc MCU and bought an Octopus, and plugged in the labeled wires into corresponding locations in the Octopus MCU. Things did not work.
When I measured, I had suddenly +24v on all locations on the toolhead PCB, where I neededd to have Gnd. So.... Fysetc used wires for GND where as at the same locations BTT uses 24v.

Please see the recent post from @Buurman, where black is not ground, but signal. 

To make matters worse, on the Afterburner PCB from HartK, the pin order for the sensor is V-Gnd-Signal, on the Stealthburner PCB from HartK it is V-Signal-Gnd.

So if you upgrade, you have to know or measure or look at the manuals/pinouts/githubs.

For the wirings of stepping motors, the only one that is RELIABLE (instead of color schemes of experienced people), is this writing: https://docs.vorondesign.com/build/electrical/#stepper-motor-wiring

Read once, and never forget 🙂

• Like 1

@Dirk Man that's a cool device. I may have to get one just because it's cool.

TBH, I use the old tried and true OptiVisor. It's portable (attaches to your head), light weight, works with glasses, requires no power and is cheap... Around 25 bucks on Amazon.

image.png.79fe83ec90cbd7509a709f93e473ca50.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Penatr8tor said:

OptiVisor.

2 hours ago, claudermilk said:

but a bit less bulky

these two look like loop glasses I have used in my previous life.

The microscope, is a bit of a stand-in-the-way, and requires skills of working with hands while looking at a screen, also a skill I have been trained in... 

Have to think a bit more before I can decide... but the less bulky one looks better than the OptiVisor (reminds me of welding helmets).

I will see which one has the first discount... 

• Like 2