Ramblings about Opensource and RepRap politics. (also a short mention about Skew calibration)

Maurici

For pete's sake... The actual 3d model of the cauliflower can be done with a single screenshot of the actual video where the dimensions are. Anybody, and i insist, absolutely anybody able to double click an icon to open a 3d cad software would be able to model so.

Hey, I did my own cauliflower, here it is. So what. This is not stolen property. 

Do you realise that the actual work is in the excel, isnt it? Again, anybody with a bit of klipper experience and trigonometry knowledge will be able to pull it off. But this at least is not fisherprice level. And nobody made the excel publicly available. And i could probably find it wrong. But at the end, are mathematical formulas. If someone comes up with them too... Will we throw him to the lions?

Im quite upset, honestly. We've ruined a perfectly valid technical post throwing knifes to each other.

For this things, reddit and Facebook are better places.

I honestly, really regret opening this.

If we have to take about morality... lets talk about how Adam (and many others, I have absolutely nothing against him) takes functions and setups of an open source software, (marlin, klipper and RRF) applied to machines that by themselves are naturally open source... and this is why he is able to know the ins and outs of the firmware... and uses it to create content in a monetised channel, and puts knowledge coming from the whole opensource community behind a paywall.

But that is cool, isn't it? Making opensource knowledge available behind a paywall is ok, but then making this content mainstream and available once is discovered that is really easily to apply isn't cool?

He didn't program the skew function in any of the firmware's, and definitely he didn't invent trigonometry... therefore is hardly stealing anything.

And the question is that I don't really care. I'm perfectly capable to pull it off, I couldn't be bothered and I went and paid. Seeing the fuss about it, I'm about to do a video disclosing the maths behind it, so is not longer an issue. The waters are way to grey here to be able to certainly say that someone is in the wrong or in the right.

Edited by Maurici
  • Like 4

I'm with @Maurici on this. Its a pay for convenience thing, nothing that you can't find elsewhere or come up with on your own. Not discounting that he did some amount of work to make calibration fairly easy and straight-forward to use (I haven't bought it). But its also nothing you can't do elsewhere or on your own. And is it really any different than any other option?

Heres one with a spreadsheet

One with calcations in the description.

I think someone else already pointed out that on some level there are only so many ways to model something. There are people that sell stl's to fit a specific tool in a specific case, many times there is only one way to get the tool to fit, so any design comes out very similar. Just because somebody else did it first and is trying to sell it means that nobody else can model it and release it?

*shrug*

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maurici said:

I honestly, really regret opening this.

We cannot control the opinions of others. Not everyone is going to like what we say or do, but as long as you are at peace with your own actions - then that is all that matters.

@Maurici, you are a great contributor to the forum, as is @atrushing and unfortunately your comments and his, have elicited some emotional responses. I have the utmost respect for the both of you, and what you have brought to this forum.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but remember, it is their opinion and not your problem, it is theirs. It is neither right nor wrong - it is an opinion born out of personal conviction and beliefs. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mvdveer said:

We cannot control the opinions of others

It is sure the purpose of many secret organizations, (aspiring) world dominating governments, secret sects and many more though 😄

I think we should not forget why we came here... @Demosth (I think) writes: 

TeamFDM.com, your premier destination for dedicated Voron support, guides, and discussions focused on the highly popular Voron 3D printers.

So politics, thieving shouldn't take our time over here, I would say. If I am not wrong, we are all grown up people that mostly already have opinions about politics, world peace, believes and religion.  
I am glad I was able to express myself and from here on I will refrain myself from this discussion concerning this Cauliflower vegetable. Back to printing 😄

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Maurici said:

Im quite upset, honestly. We've ruined a perfectly valid technical post throwing knifes to each other.

Same here.  I actively avoid many discussions with Voron for many of these reasons.  The masses overlook the forest for the trees in this regard as well.  Let me enlighten them.  Many bring up the fact that a person has a paid model, yet these same people heavily use ad-riddled YouTube, dolling out an untold amount of money by being the victims of data mining schemes like YouTube, Thingiverse, Alibaba, Amazon, and a slew of others and proudly stand firm behind the shield of 'free' yet chastise a person who listed a model for a few dollars which helps pays them to model.  They are basically giving money away to others and it does nothing to help the community or those who dedicate their time and resources to advancing the field.  Just on this site alone, this very page, I have a notification that 38 items have been blocked due to violations that I have set.

Paid models are becoming a commodity.  People who can model are fewer than those who print in the 3d printing community; fewer still are people who are EXCEPTIONAL at modeling.  Good modeling software is not cheap, to the tune of $2,000+ PER YEAR, good modelers use good software and great modelers use great software. Try that with the all models must be free case and see how far you can go before bankruptcy sets in.  Oh, and things like Tinkercad and free F360 are so crippled that the good features are subscription-only.

On 2/20/2024 at 12:52 AM, Goeland86 said:

By copying his design you're actively depriving the *one person* who developed the method and shared it in a way that would let you easily validate your machine.

You make it sound like he invented and is the only one capable of using trigonometry and spreadsheets.

Countless modelers previous to Adam created ways to fix printer sizing and skew using a print and a spreadsheet. Califlower's creator just packaged it up, slapped a price sticker on it, and marketed it on his Youtube channel.

Somebody was willing to reverse engineer and release the same work without giving away Adam's original model or spreadsheet. Unless Adam has patented the design, that's fair game. The fact that they're giving it away for free means Califlower isn't truly worth the amount that he's asking for it.

• Like 5