Octopus v1.1 446, Hermit Crab Canbus Bridge Question(s)

Hello, 

I have been fighting with a Octo /  HC / Canbus Bridge issue for a bit now, and although my hair looks like Homer Simpsons, I don't want the remaining 6 hairs to abandon ship.    I would like to know the proper Make MenuConfig setup for the Octo 446 Canbus Bridge setup.  I believe I have the correct settings for the HC.

I have a really nice document I have followed for my setup, if someone would want to review it.   I would prefer to DM  someone, because something isn't right that I am doing and would hate to share a doc that puts out bad info and would add to the CANBus confusion.

Any pointers would be appreciated, thanks.

-Rich

I am confident of my other settings, I am concerned about my communication interface settings

for Katapult: 

Communication Interface: CanBus on PA11/PA12     ***I think this should be PD0/PD1

For Klipper:

Communication Interface: USB to CAN Bus bridge (USB on PA11/PA12)

CAN Bus Interface (CAN bus (on PD0/PD1))

I go into DFU Mode by pressing the DFU / Reset button and load each config with these settings.

Katapult upload

sudo dfu-util -a 0 -D ~/_data/katapult_octo.bin --dfuse-address 0x08000000:force:mass-erase:leave -d 0483:df11

Klipper upload.

***I am also concerned with the address being used for klipper, do I even need to specify an address?

sudo dfu-util -a 0 -D ~/_data/klipper_octo.bin --dfuse-address 0x08008000:leave -d 0483:df11

@RichArthur Looking at the pinout for the BTT Octo v1.1, the CANBus Out should be on PD0/PD1.

Someone may want to correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think you need Katapult on the Octopus for this config. As I understand it, Katapult is a replacement for Candlelight, which simply provides can-boot to the device at the other end, allowing you to update firmware over CAN. But, for your Octopus, you are connecting by USB, so DFU is the easiest I have found.

Looking at your DFU statements, they are very similar to what I have always used and seen in docs. So far, every BTT device I have flashed from DFU mode used that address and device code (0x08000000 and 0483:df11)

Here is a link I found that has accurate instructions. The only difference will be the above mentioned selections for Comm Interface (USB on PA11/12) and USB to CAN on PD0/PD1.
https://github.com/bigtreetech/BIGTREETECH-OCTOPUS-V1.0/blob/master/Firmware/Klipper/README.md

Happy to help if that doesn't work for you.

Edited by cjkennedy72
Fix DFU address mistake

Thanks.  I will work on applying the suggestions.  I agree I believe my config needed the pd0/1    I don’t think I have spent any/much time looking at your document link I will have a good read on that as well.  So are you saying that if I simply just run the normal bootloader on the octopus I can just load my klipper on the sd card?    Or if I were to use the dry utility.  Is my address correct for my second day-util command.   Or do I even need it(the address) on the second command.   Lastly thx for the reply and offer to assist.  

For the Octopus, you do not need Katapult at all. Simply build and flash the firmware based on the link and USB to CAN settings we have discussed. The bootloader on that board will be the built-in DFU mode. I do not have an independent bootloader on any of my BTT mainboards, only on CAN-connected devices I want to be able to update without having to put them in DFU mode.

All you should need to do to your Octo is to put it in DFU mode, build the firmware as discussed and then flash it using the addresses you are using. Once that is done, you will be able to use the Octo as normal and the CAN out port to connect additional CANBUS tool boards, expansion modules, etc.

On 1/23/2024 at 7:05 AM, cjkennedy72 said:

Someone may want to correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think you need Katapult on the Octopus for this config. As I understand it, Katapult is a replacement for Candlelight, which simply provides can-boot to the device at the other end, allowing you to update firmware over CAN. But, for your Octopus, you are connecting by USB, so DFU is the easiest I have found.

You are correct, the only slight advantage of having Katapult enable and "support bootloader entry on rapid double click of reset button" checked when installing Katapult is you don't need to install a jumper (for DFU Mode) you only need to press the reset button twice to get the Octopus into Katapult mode (flash via Canbus). The same applies to the EBB tool head with Katapult installed. Installing the jumper on the Octopus is not a big deal it is easily done, on the other the SB2209 tool head requires you to install a jumper and run a USB from the Pi to the tool head press boot and reset buttons to get into DFU mode. 

I've put together a guide on how to get firmware installed on both devices via Katapiult.

https://www.teamfdm.com/forums/topic/2349-updating-your-firmware-with-katapult-jan-22-2024-canbus/#comment-16441

@RichArthur I've used this link to get the proper setting for the Menuconfig.

https://github.com/Esoterical/voron_canbus/tree/main/mainboard_flashing/common_hardware

• Like 1