Refurbishing my Voron 2.4 300

Penatr8tor

I'm not tackling a new build this time around... instead, I'm going to give my 1st build a once over. The catalyst for this move ended up being a warped deck panel plus all of the "while I got it apart" upgrades that seem to work their way into everything I work on. 

So, here's how she looks today. A bit grubby from use but still a solid performer.

V2.4_Refurb-01.thumb.jpg.b12676e1b399498cd2006a93b0d50305.jpg

Here's the warped deck panel. Question: What happens to an acrylic sheet when the top is 45c and I blow 25c air under it using two fans?

This...

V2.4_Refurb-02.thumb.jpg.6c48bef8a244d07aba250f001669f3bf.jpg

Not to worry... I'm gonna fix that.

So, here are the parts on order that will go into the refurb...

1. New deck, bottom and rear ACM panels. I only need the deck panel, but I had to buy a set so all three get replaced. I already have these, purchased from KB-3D.

2. Mellow CNC TAP. I already have this unit. Purchased from AliExpress.

3.Chaotic Labs CF gantry kit. On order from AliExpress.

image.thumb.png.895b15944723c8b8efdab543b9e3f0a2.png

4. FYSETC CNC X-Beam. On order from AliExpress.

image.png.d74577b6a860ec3f4e21b49eaf03fb8e.png

5. LOD Leviathan controller. On order from KB-3D. I'm going to give this a try. I may even upgrade the AB motors to LDO units and run them at 48V. I'm also looking for to the added flexibility this board will provide.

6. Nevermore filter.

7. Upgrades to the toolhead include, upgrade LEDs to Rainbow BARF, Hartk SB toohead PCB and wiring. (Sorry, no can bus).

8. Lukes Lab camera.

9. New belts.

I might add some other things but, that's the list for now.

Cheers everyone. It feels good to be back. I spent every day of the last 5-6 weeks in Florida with my Dad. He passed away on Jan 10th. He was just 2 months shy of 96. 

Pete

• Like 4

@PFarm Those look pretty cool. I think I'll be good with the ACM panels on their own, but if they do warp... I'll have a solution because I won't be refurbing this printer again. Famous last words LOL. 😄

I'm also considering running the Moons AB steppers already in the printer at 48v since the Leviathan supports 24-48V on the 5160 drivers.

Maybe 48V is overkill. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Worth it, not worth it, etc.

• Like 1

My condolences for the loss of your father. I am happy for you that you could be with him his last few weeks.

The improvements you have planned, except for the plates, seem to target high speed printing.

I have read an article from someone who tested 48v on the AB motors, spider mcu, Voron 2.4 (with the correct drivers). showing a doubling of the speed. 

If you have an extruder that can keep up to it, it will be worth the effort.

The problem mentioned was, a terrible sound from the motors:-)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dirk said:

The problem mentioned was, a terrible sound from the motors:-)

Firstly... Thanks @Dirk and @claudermilk for the condolences. Obviously sad to see him go but it's something we've either gone thru or will go thru eventually. 

OK... Back to the build. 

Yeah, the additional noise is something I'm concerned with. Thanks for the links. Right now, I'm going to just focus on 24v. I have to say... That printer is running at a pretty good clip and the noise isn't too terrible (at least on the video). Adding an additional PSU isn't that big of a deal so I'm feeling pretty good about my options. I have a VzBot 330 AWD and it's well beyond super-fast... it's stupid-fast. It's also pretty loud. We will see.

1 hour ago, claudermilk said:

I approve of your toolhead updates. While you're at it, you might as well add in the LDO breakout board for the other end of that harness. It's worth the hassle.

Agree Chris, I'm shopping for one today. Wasn't thinking about the breakout board. Thanks for the reminder.

@Penatr8tor - Posted a message yesterday that seemed to have disappeared. So sad about your dad, but so good you could spend the time with him. It is the memories that will last and make you smile.

You got a VZBot for speed, so if noise is a concern - stick to 24V

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mvdveer said:

It is the memories that will last and make you smile.

You got a VZBot for speed, so if noise is a concern - stick to 24V

Yes they are. And the time we all spent together gave all of us the opportunity to reconcile and prepare, not just those that left but also those left behind. Thanks.

Yeah, the VzBot is the speed demon, that's for sure. And I like the quiet of the 2.4. I think I'll go with 24v. 

• Like 3

@PFarm What I'm hoping for is increased rigidity and precision while also losing some un-sprung weight.

The Z adjusters were really just an impulse buy that I decided to get while looking for the gantry adjusters. Hopefully they will net me better adjustability on the Z belts and also a more uniform tension overall. They're also attached to the frame, so any weight increase is going to translate into less resonance. 

The gantry adjusters will hopefully do the same regarding adjustability and uniform tension. They also shouldn't adversely affect performance as the Z motors are more than up to the task and while printing they're only bouncing up and down a few tenths of a mm. 

Saving weight on the moveable X beam might reduce the effort required to move the Y axis... It will be interesting to compare shaper charts from before and after.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PFarm said:

Does are nice well thought out for ease of use!

I have seen these also as printable mods, but they used so many uncommon parts. Maybe meanwhile I have more screws, bolts and nuts to print a few heavier, weaker versions of these 🙂

Here it is... Ah, interesting, design by chaoticlabs 🙂 and someone thought same as me.

• Like 1

@Dirk Yeah, I saw the printable design on Github when I was looking for instructions for the CF gantry kit. Using a Tee nut is a great idea. I just got the 4 Z axis adjusters and the 2 gantry adjusters delivered. They look really nice.

V2.4_Refurb-03.thumb.jpg.cac52ba1bb95a6e132268264efdb0520.jpg

V2.4_Refurb-04.thumb.jpg.d9adbbe021ce131a109a7f29a55a3cab.jpg

• Like 2

Square nuts are not uncommon ! They were the parts to have before proper heatset inserts. Remember the Hotend Fang for CR10's and Tornado's. [EDIT] the Petsfang : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2759439 [EDIT AGAIN] maybe it was an earlier version... Got a 200 pack of M3 square nuts for this build... (and also M4 and M5 I don't know what to do with...) Or something very similar...
Made a pin mod, that can't compete with CNC machined parts, but I mounted onto my 2.4 : https://github.com/CachecticLab/Voron-2.4-Mods/tree/main/Beefy_Z_Idlers_YaaJ

(makes me realize I forgot to upload the STEPs...)

Edited by YaaJ
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, YaaJ said:

Square nuts are not uncommon !

Well.. To me very 😉 I have these nuts that you use in cars and bikes... number 10 / 13 /15. But square ones? Nah. Never seen or used them. The first printer I bought was before christmas 2022, it was meant for my son: for 250 euros it came completely built, all I had to do was tighten 2 screws (artillery sidewinder x2). I exaggerated a repair and bought lots of parts, but still no square nuts. Last summer after I ordered my voron 2.4 kit and built it, and had not enough screws or nuts (M3 or M5 nuts only), I placed new orders, still no square ones. I can assure you, I have now so many screws, nuts and whatever parts I never have used in my life before, but still no square ones.(My wife really hates my new hobby... it makes such a mess when I have been busy).

2 hours ago, YaaJ said:

Hotend Fang for CR10's and Tornado's

I believe CR10 is a printer, not a Voron. A Tornado these twisting air weather conditions, extremely uncommon to Holland. and a Fang... well... I believe that belongs to a bird 😉

My Voron does not have any of them. Neither a square nut. I will look on AliExpress to order them, for my screws/bolts/nuts boxeS (It used to be a single box).

Now I have seen the pictures of the aluminum parts from chaoticlabs... @Penatr8tor: damn they look good...very very very good... Pity they are so expensive... Maybe my next birthday will be a good excuse to order them, until then I will check out the printed ones with square nuts 🙂

2 hours ago, YaaJ said:

Gives me a 404. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Dirk said:

Now I have seen the pictures of the aluminum parts from chaoticlabs... @Penatr8tor: damn they look good...very very very good... Pity they are so expensive... Maybe my next birthday will be a good excuse to order them, until then I will check out the printed ones with square nuts 🙂

The chaoticlab's CNC parts are super nice no doubt and not cheap. I think with the CF gantry kit and X-beam... pretty close to $300 US.

Square nuts... If you've ever owned a Bondtech LGX Lite extruder, then you know square nuts. I believe there's also some in the Squirrelbrain RatRig V-Minion electronics enclosure I built a while back. So, not too common for 3D printer builds but they do show up every so often.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

OK, Time for an update...

I think I have everything I need to do this re-furb without having to order anything mid-stream. Famous last words LOL.

And so the dis-assembly begins. Panels removed.

V2.4_Refurb-Panels-05.thumb.jpg.ddc9acb42edbcb0fa44404e4f59dbadc.jpg

V2.4_Refurb-TH1-07.thumb.jpg.b2f9d0b466278337ad031807b518e076.jpg

Toolhead and X-Y drag chains removed.

V2.4_Refurb-TH2-08.thumb.jpg.59d52f715a469c2e9e9d2dfa802dff6f.jpg

The warp...

V2.4_Refurb-Warp-06.thumb.jpg.f1d772e7f7c395acb69a9328b689a1a9.jpg

Electronics bay. It was my first build, so I certainly left myself a good tidying up project at the very least.

V2.4_Refurb-EB1-09.thumb.jpg.ff1d64cbf5c485257e59b33709bb3783.jpg

Electronics removed.

V2.4_Refurb-EB2-10.thumb.jpg.7e1e5c9a0f2d454e7487f941c35c420a.jpg

And... a close up of the warp.

V2.4_Refurb-Warp-11.thumb.jpg.e9355cb0d5bc0c7bdd9a180b56891874.jpg

Deck removed.

V2.4_Refurb-Deck-12.thumb.jpg.2dc8986f76420e0e4a2c9a1c189a6a78.jpg

V2.4_Refurb-EB1-09.jpg

• Like 3