Enraged Rabbit V2 - A Colorful Christmas Present

Dirk

THANK YOU! I have been hanging out for this. I have a Fysetc ERCF set waiting to be put to use. Already build an ERCF, got it working without much of a hitch (had to do lots of tweaking) but due to space constraints moved it on. Read about all the mods and V2 being developed. Decided to wait for V2. But as a challenge and comparison, I am currently building an Annex Engineering TradRack. Was going to post a build diary, still thinking about it.

IMG_5566.thumb.png.e17bafa92a81d6aeeaed438093488125.png

• Like 4

15 hours ago, mvdveer said:

THANK YOU! I have been hanging out for this. I have a Fysetc ERCF set waiting to be put to use. Already build an ERCF, got it working without much of a hitch (had to do lots of tweaking)

You are welcome. I know of your ERCF build log. In fact, it was the post that made me decide to register on this forum. It was so detailed and well described, that I kept coming back while studying it. And indeed when reading the huge amounts of tweaking you had to do, and a video I saw from Nero, where he showed the printed piece and the purge block, I decided not to build it. Yet...

The v2 that is RC1, looks much more organised compared to v1.1. Many more people working on it. And like you said and @PFarm described in his build log, a collection of many mods of the original v1. That is why the v2 is called the 'community edition', I guess 🙂

A MMU is a complex build (any that I have seen), because you have multiple-units, and you have to combine several parts into a single machine. Every component of ERCF v1.1 is modded. All to make problems you had troubles with in your build log, and many more problems for builders who have less attention to detail, make.

Despite all the improvements there are still a few things that I do not like:

1- The filament cutter, is not on the ERCF and it requires a stealthburner. Which makes the ERCF not multi platform, but Voron dependent. 

2- The purge block is still part of the problem, but the git mentions a new Pellet purge system which should improve upon this problem. Hopefully with the final, when the kits are available in march 2024.

I also love the BOM, which shows a structured list for people who already have a 1.1. It was a breeze to order the extra parts, which did not cost me an arm and a leg, above the Fysetc 1.1 kit I already had.

Like PFarm I also checked out the TradRack. Besides the fact that it is very educative to see build logs, it also shows different approaches to the solution of a single problem. Choice is a good thing. When I quickly look at the TradRack, I see the rail, and my first thought is: 'strange that the ERCF uses metal pins for sliding, compared to all the rails we used to build our Vorons'. And this TradRack looks more like a Voron build 🙂

If you have the time from collecting parts and studying projects during your de-stressing time, I would love to see a build log of another MMU.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, PFarm said:

@mvdveer Interesting looks very simple love that it uses a linear rail.

https://github.com/Annex-Engineering/TradRack

Not as simple to build - because it is a Beta release (first public) and still technically in Alpha01, there is some "figuring out to do" whilst building. Also the BOM is non-standard Voron, e.g 5x7x0.05mm shims and a 4mm round ball bearing (Filametrix uses 5.5mm) , which I overlooked initially, as I thought I would have all the hardware. To continue the build, I printed 0.5mm shims and will have to replace those when they arrive. The build log will follow.

9 hours ago, Dirk said:

The filament cutter, is not on the ERCF and it requires a stealthburner

There is an alternative filament cutter, which I intend to use for the Tradrack build, if it can be modified to fit as this cutter  is dedicated to the ERCF build. Else will have to go with the Filametrix. The only reason to consider a filament cutter is that it gets rid of the painful process of Tip tuning.

• Like 4

I too have been waiting for V2, I have purchased a 12 colour V1.1 kit ready and now purchasing the additional/replacement items for the V2..

I do love the concept of the tradrack, ive followed it to some degree for a while, but with me being a newbie, I thought go ERCF just for the support and a more or less public proven concept, and some great build logs 😉.. but I do think the tradrack will be a better and simpler mmu, so on my to do list for future 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Not as simple to build - because it is a Beta release (first public) and still technically in Alpha01, there is some "figuring out to do" whilst building...

That is good to know. To be honest, I found ERCF 1.1 also needed a lot of figuring out, compared to the Voron 2.4 build.

I also have not realised that you need to resource a lot more hardware before you can start your build if you do not have it already. I know you did your first voron all with custom ordered parts, but I found the fasteners box I got with the Fysetc kit one of the most standard things I use when 'building', so much so that I order only fasteners that are about to finish. 

I just looked again, now a bit detailed at the TradRack. It has a nice and very easy-to-follow manual. 60 pages of pictures with explanatory text. One of the best manuals I have seen until now 🙂 No distracting text / pictures/ cats / cereals. 

The sourcing list (BOM) is almost as long as the ERCF one (both about 60-70).  

The only downside is, that when I type "Tradrack kit" in AliExpress, nothing shows up. Maybe because it is in beta / alpha. But it is what makes it payable for me. (My Fysetc kit cost me only 80 euros last summer) Individually sourcing increases the price to at least double to the Netherlands.  So this would be a reason for me to not build this one, unless I have most of the parts already.

13 hours ago, mvdveer said:

There is an alternative filament cutter, which I intend to use for the Tradrack build, if it can be modified to fit as this cutter  is dedicated to the ERCF build. Else will have to go with the Filametrix. The only reason to consider a filament cutter is that it gets rid of the painful process of Tip tuning.

I have seen the ERCF filament cutter. Simple and effective. I believe the reason it is not the primary choice, has to do with the fact that its recommended to use a toolhead-entry-sensor. In the Filametrix it is automatically integrated.

I have seen on the waterhose-stream of the ERCF-questions channel on the voron discord, many requests for filametrix mods of any toolhead you can think of. Makes me wonder if @atrushing is also considering a filametrix-like adaptation part for his mini-stealths 🙂

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dirk said:

"Tradrack kit" in AliExpress, nothing shows up.

Don't think there are any kits available as yet - hopefully soon.

21 minutes ago, Dirk said:

It has a nice and very easy-to-follow manual. 60 pages of pictures with explanatory text.

There are a few issues I found - parts are drawn out of proportion and wiring routing is omitted.

I have started a build log and will outline what to be aware of.

22 minutes ago, Dirk said:

Individually sourcing increases the price to at least double to the Netherlands.

Same here in Australia - though I found a local supplier where I got all the bearings -  a Radio Control hobby shop off all places. The rest I all had on hand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dirk said:

I have seen on the waterhose-stream of the ERCF-questions channel on the voron discord, many requests for filametrix mods of any toolhead you can think of. Makes me wonder if @atrushing is also considering a filametrix-like adaptation part for his mini-stealths

I will keep this in mind and see if I can come up with a design while I'm doing my other modelling. For now I am busy debating if I need to make the Vorpal 8mm deeper to make room for a Beacon3D probe sticking out behind the x-frame. Unless its μC PCB could be wired to allow mounting it elsewhere..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, atrushing said:

if I can come up with a design while I'm doing my other modelling

That is great!

if I need to make the Vorpal 8mm deeper

I thought that I saw a functioning version of the Vorpal. Why fix the unbroken?

μC PCB

I have the feeling that many things are changing in this eddy current sensor world. I have ordered a cartographer from their site and last week I could choose between usb and can, but now the same thing does both. Last week I could choose between standard and low profile or 90 degrees bent, now it comes unassembled and I can assemble it exactly like I wish. So changing the whole printerdesign for such a moving product, is a bit too much I think 🙂

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Dirk said:

Last week I could choose between standard and low profile or 90 degrees bent, now it comes unassembled and I can assemble it exactly like I wish. So changing the whole printerdesign for such a moving product, is a bit too much I think

The secondary Beacon PCB sticks out too far in the back and collides with the Z axis idler on the Vorpal. With the 90deg version the JST connector sticks out just as far. If it could be connected with wires then it could be mounted somewhere more out of the way.

2023-12-24-175707_1914x1048_scrot.thumb.png.4c67eb9e76d2e961925c07cc3bbcae14.png

As you can see, there is enough extra MGN9 rail to make the printer up to 20mm deeper if I'd like. Of course, I'd rather not need to.