Which display to use?

Brystro

Question

I am building a 2.4 300mm with a Manta M8P and CB1.  Do you have a suggestion for a display?  the 12864 is not ideal for me, and I am debating between the BTT HDMI5 or the TFT50.  The good, the bad, the ugly?  I am leaning towards a TFT50, but I like the IPS of the HDMI5.  Oh what to do? 🙂

7 answers to this question

I've installed numerous Klipperscreens on my builds. I have found that they all work pretty well and are all pretty easy to install.

Below are the screens I have and my opinion on them.

BTT PITFT50 V2.0 DSI (ribbon cable): I have this on my V2.4. Works great. Plug and Play into a Pi 4B. Screen is nice and bright with good contrast. Touch works well. ~$55 US.

ELECROW RC050 HDMI: I have this as a standalone display (not attached) on my V-Minion. Works great. Plug and Play into a Pi 4B. Screen is nice, contrast could be a bit better. Touch works well. ~$51 US. One caveat to HDMI displays is that you need a separate USB to get touch working. One cool feature is that you could connect it to a different printer by just plugging it in. p.s. You'd need to have HDMI and USB ports or cables on the printer.

ELECROW 7" 1024x600 HDMI: I have this attached to my V-Core 300. Works great. Plug and Play into a Pi 4B. Screen is nice, contrast is OK. Touch works well. ~$56 US. Again... One caveat to HDMI displays is that you need a separate USB to get touch working. Aspect ratio doesn't match well with Klipperscreen, i.e. horizontal is stretched.

MELLOW FLY LCD50 DSI: This is the 5" LCD that came with my VzBoT 330 kit. Same as the others. Screen is nice and bright with good contrast. Touch works well. ~$45 US.

I also bought myself 2 of the MELLOW FLY LCD70 (7" with DSI module) for future upgrades. Note: If you decide to go with the Mellow Fly displays... You have to buy one of two daughter boards that plug unto the back of the display. The modules let you connect with either HMDI/USB or DSI ribbon cable and the same goes for the 5". 

In the end and after having used and installed all of these displays... The only thing that bugs me about the 5" ones is that it can be a bit of a challenge scrolling through macros as the scroll bar is right next to the right-hand edge of the screen. So, if you have big meaty sausage fingers like me... it can be a bit of a pain.

All of the displays were purchased on Amazon except for the Mellow Flys which were from AliExpress.

• Like 1

I tried the BTT PiTFT 50 but in the end, I had to either keep it at too steep of an angle (for my liking),  or put taller feet on my Voron.

I did model a housing for the 5" version,  but ended up going with the 4.3.  The 4.3 sits at the right angle, and doesn't touch the desk with the stock feet height.

Here's the housing I did for the 5" version

https://www.printables.com/model/488819-voron-24-touch-screen-housing-for-btt-pi-tft50-v20

And for the BTT 4.3 version

https://www.printables.com/model/426803-btt-pi-tft43-v20-voron-24-touch-screen-case

I've also got several versions for the Voron 0,  for the 2.4 with Wavershare 4.3 USB,  Waveshare 4.3 DSI, and a couple others.

Edited by ken226
  • Like 1

I got BTT PiTFT50 on all my "big boy printers" (Voron2.4, Trident, VZBot, Switchwire) but BTT PiTFT43 on the smaller ones (Vo, Trizero, Boxzero, Micron). I like it because the DSI interface is just plug and play and the display does what it needs for my needs. I fitted a Waveshare 5 inch HDMI to the recently build V-Minion as I have several of those from the days when I converted my Creality printers. I do not like these due to the bulky cables and the need for utilising another USB port on the raspy for the touch interface. 

I also have some 7 inch Raspberry PI TFT (DSI) screens, but find them to big for the space I have available.

In the end - it is what you feel comfortable with and what enclosure will suit your specific build.

• Like 1

I like the idea if having a rotary dial (for quicker scrolling) and a touch screen, so I might get the TFT43.  I did want to go bigger, but after realizing I might need to increase the height of the skirts/feet, I am fine with 4.3", even though this is my "flagship" printer. Looks like it will be an Ali order.  Now Tom Petty's "The Waiting" song is playing in my head 🙂

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Brystro said:

I like the idea if having a rotary dial (for quicker scrolling) and a touch screen, so I might get the TFT43.  I did want to go bigger, but after realizing I might need to increase the height of the skirts/feet, I am fine with 4.3", even though this is my "flagship" printer. Looks like it will be an Ali order.  Now Tom Petty's "The Waiting" song is playing in my head 🙂

BTT has several different versions of the 4.3" screen.  

The original v1 i believe has the rotary dial.  The 2.0 does not   They also make a DSI version that only works with the Raspberry Pi DSI interface,  as well as a HDMI version that I used with both a OrangePi and with a BTT CB1.

• Like 1

The BTT 4.3 2.0 DSI has a brightness potentiometer. Comes with the LDO 2.4 kit.
Finally replaced it for a Waveshare 5", because of one of these two factors (ot the two...) :
- arms : too short
- glasses
: too thin
Arms : difficult to replace. Replacing the display was cheaper than replacing the glasses.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1