BEWARE: Latest Klipper update breaks symlink to mcu on USB connected devices

mvdveer

On 6/14/2023 at 7:43 PM, mvdveer said:

Just updated one of my older Trizero printers to the bullseye distro as it was too old to update crowsnest on buster (v10).

And I wanted to see what happened regarding the mcu issue if I update to the latest bullseye version.

And...........

It broke the symlink.

Got it back with the fix mentioned. So it seems the latest update still has the bug. Don't know if, once the fix is applied, a further update will again break the link. Will see once the next update gets released and keep the group updated.

I had the broken symlink when when this update was first released.   

Since fixing it, I've updated several times with no further issues (knock on wood).

Edited by ken226

On 5/2/2023 at 6:41 AM, mvdveer said:

Here is a fix for those that updated, that I copied from the discord chanel:

"Shiftingtech V2.011 — Today at 4:03 AM
A bug has been introduced in Debian Bullseye (which includes current MainsailOS), which prevents the symlinks in /dev/serial/by-id/ from being created. If your printer can't connect to the MCU anymore after a system update, you can check if it is caused by that bug by checking the installed version of udev with 

apt show udev

If your version is 247.3-7+deb11u2 you have the broken package installed and should replace it with the "backports" version. Take special care about the last number ("u2"). 

1. Install a working version from debian backports
To install the working version of 252.5-2~bpo11+1 (one line, use copy & paste):

cd ~;wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/systemd/libudev1_252.5-2~bpo11+1_`dpkg --print-architecture`.deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/systemd/udev_252.5-2~bpo11+1_`dpkg --print-architecture`.deb;APT_LISTCHANGES_FRONTEND=none sudo apt install --fix-broken ./libudev1_252.5-2~bpo11+1_`dpkg --print-architecture`.deb ./udev_252.5-2~bpo11+1_`dpkg --print-architecture`.deb; rm libudev1_252.5-2~bpo11+1_`dpkg --print-architecture`.deb udev_252.5-2~bpo11+1_`dpkg --print-architecture`.deb  

This command should just want to install the two packages (udev & libudev).  If it tries to do something else, particularly removing a large quantity of packages, stop and reassess the situation

2. Reboot
After doing that reboot the pi by running

sudo reboot

and Klipper should connect again to your MCU."

Thanks!

After many hours looking for answer finally this solved my exact problem!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had this happen to me. I was loosing my mind. I rebuilt the OS on the Pi and reflashed the new firmware from that rebuild and it reconnected. I thought for sure I burnt out my board somehow but it was this issue. I was lucky that it reconnected. 

Edited by Jerazmus

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2023 at 11:41 PM, mvdveer said:

Here is a fix for those that updated, that I copied from the discord chanel:

"Shiftingtech V2.011 — Today at 4:03 AM
A bug has been introduced in Debian Bullseye (which includes current MainsailOS), which prevents the symlinks in /dev/serial/by-id/ from being created. If your printer can't connect to the MCU anymore after a system update, you can check if it is caused by that bug by checking the installed version of udev with 

apt show udev

If your version is 247.3-7+deb11u2 you have the broken package installed and should replace it with the "backports" version. Take special care about the last number ("u2"). 

1. Install a working version from debian backports
To install the working version of 252.5-2~bpo11+1 (one line, use copy & paste):

cd ~;wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/systemd/libudev1_252.5-2~bpo11+1_`dpkg --print-architecture`.deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/systemd/udev_252.5-2~bpo11+1_`dpkg --print-architecture`.deb;APT_LISTCHANGES_FRONTEND=none sudo apt install --fix-broken ./libudev1_252.5-2~bpo11+1_`dpkg --print-architecture`.deb ./udev_252.5-2~bpo11+1_`dpkg --print-architecture`.deb; rm libudev1_252.5-2~bpo11+1_`dpkg --print-architecture`.deb udev_252.5-2~bpo11+1_`dpkg --print-architecture`.deb  

This command should just want to install the two packages (udev & libudev).  If it tries to do something else, particularly removing a large quantity of packages, stop and reassess the situation

2. Reboot
After doing that reboot the pi by running

sudo reboot

and Klipper should connect again to your MCU."

I just made an account so I could come here and tell you you're a legend! Thank you!

• Like 4