CHOATICLAB Unboxing

mvdveer

Very exiting. I installed mine on the 350 V2r2 and am very impressed so far. When taking off the printed unit, I once again found one of the magnets dislodged from its position and caused about 0.5mm of lateral movement. Installed the chaotic labs TAP rather than print Rev8 of TAP, and is as solid as can be. Liked it so much, I ordered two more for the other printers.

22 minutes ago, Chuck_Snow said:

Time to move up to the Big league's finally got all my parts in.

This you will be pleasantly surprised by how easy it is to install.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Question for cnc tap owners.  Just got mine today and couldn’t wait to get it out of the box. Nice. Now I just have to take my xy apart and rebuild from two mgn 9 rails to the mgn 12.  As for the question never mind. I couldn’t get it to move so wasn’t sure if there was something wrong or not. Watched a couple of videos and realized it was operator error. Moves nice and smooth. Reprinting my xy parts and stealthburner from afterburner and begin putting it together with the new BTT 2240 canbus.  Biggest challenge will for me be klipper programming. Not sure what I’m going to use for xy endstop. I toyed with sensorless but my confidence in that (translation my ability to get the settings in klipper correct) are low. I’ll keep watching to see what you all have to say. But I’ve never been more excited to build my voron. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Glad to see everyone enjoying their new Choaitic's, and they look cool, but I struggle with main stream adoption of a key component that is not 3d printed.  It starts to imply that the VoronDesign team did not do a good job designing TAP (which I don't think is the case),  In fairness to Choatic, they did generously open source the step files so as hobbyists we could CNC our own parts, and I wish them the best, but does mainstream adoption mean we are changing from a community of Makers to a community of Assemblers?  Its on my todo list to CNC up at least one set of parts to be able to say I did it, but then probably retrofit the rest of my printers with purchased parts to save time.😉

Are there any fundamental reasons to go to the CNC part over printed?  Does the printed design need improvements?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VoronManiac said:

Are there any fundamental reasons to go to the CNC part over printed?  Does the printed design need improvements?

The Voron Dev team does an excellent work in designing and implementing changes.

I think the Voron community will always be makers rather than assemblers.

My reason for the CNC parts is that though I have been 3d printing for more than 3 years now, some of the parts I printed did not have the tolerances they needed. (Too tight a fit, to loose a fit, out by a mm or two, etc, ) Also the assembly of my first TAP may have been subpar, as the first Voron 2.4 I build the TAP for, started having issues, I discovered that the magnets in the TAP body has dislodged. (yes, I did use superglue - or did I?). 

Thus the decision for the Chaoticslab TAP.

I believe so strongly in the Voron design, that I am changing my extruders from Bondtech LGX and LGC Lite to CW2 Large gears. (Again I changed to the commercial extruders as I started having issues with my build ones - printing tolerances, assembly mistakes? 

As I grow more confident in my printers ability to do what it should, and with tolerances that are spot on - ( three of them are 99% there - Trident 250, Voron 2.4rs 350mm and the recently revived Switchwire) - I am reverting back to printed parts, as designed by Voron and it's makers.

Some will have other reasons (speed mostly which I do not care for that much), but I guess that is what makes this hobby great!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, VoronManiac said:

Glad to see everyone enjoying their new Choaitic's, and they look cool, but I struggle with main stream adoption of a key component that is not 3d printed.  It starts to imply that the VoronDesign team did not do a good job designing TAP (which I don't think is the case),  In fairness to Choatic, they did generously open source the step files so as hobbyists we could CNC our own parts, and I wish them the best, but does mainstream adoption mean we are changing from a community of Makers to a community of Assemblers?  Its on my todo list to CNC up at least one set of parts to be able to say I did it, but then probably retrofit the rest of my printers with purchased parts to save time.😉

To me, the printed one feels more robust, I thik its mainly because of two things, the thicker rail used that gives it more stability and two, the switch. The switch used is pretty basic in the chaoticlab one, and a mechanical one, the optical one is more precise from my testing.

I have a pile of Chaoticlab TAPS here, my build have this in there, because its good enough, but.... only just.

I do like the CNC initiative, and look on Aliexpress, Mellow is soon releasing their own CNC TAP, and I think its may be lighter, has thick rail MGN9 and has the optical switch, so it will have all the good things...

And there are other clones, but knowing Mellow, it be pretty good.

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, mvdveer said:

I am quite partial to the Mellow products. Love to see how it compares to the Chaoticlabs one

This is my first Mellow product but read good things about their products, thinking this will be my go-to instead of the BTT. BTT product support really sucks both warranty-wise and product documentation. Got enough ducks to last a life time. 😉

Edited by PFarm
  • Like 1