Vorpal 180 - A Printed Printer

atrushing

Beautiful. And very clear. I noticed that many people are confused about how and what, because there are so many options 🙂 This overview will clear things up, I am sure.

I got lost on Discord last night, the printers for ants server (doom). I noticed talk about you, this forum and your designs 🙂 People like it. Not just us.

What I wanted to say... I have bought several hotends as 'backup' or because I thought I would use them one or other day. A Rapido UHF, a Rapido 2 HF, a trianglelab CHC mini, which should have the same dimensions as the revo-voron mini.   I also have 3 oribiters (2x 1.5 and 1x 2.0), besides the direct drive kits that came with the Fysetc kit and Stealthburner upgrade.

So if you need me to print out and test certain combinations, just tell me which combination 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dirk said:

trianglelab CHC mini, which should have the same dimensions as the revo-voron mini.

The CHC hotend that you linked seems to only have threaded mounting options. I found their TD6S hotend which looks to have the same mounting pattern as a Dragon but is 1.2mm taller which means it would need its own core piece.

2023-12-18-121853_1914x1048_scrot.thumb.png.37073ecf2a504ef3f201332e25fc9a25.png

7 hours ago, atrushing said:

..which means it would need its own core piece...

Heh... The sales representative must have misinformed me then. Luckily they provide the complete 3d model for reference.

Triangle lab uses indeed this chc core piece in several of their products.

Please do not feel obliged to make yet another piece in a very long list. I think you already have a long list, and the most popular ones are already in it 🙂

• 1 month later...

Since I've already hijacked my own thread, I'll give a small update on my progress with the Mini Stealth v2. Right now it supports 9 different extruders and 17 hotends.

Mini_Stealth_split_small.thumb.png.1f17c8364b09ddd47f654308a13efc69.png

Most of the 3D files are ready but I need to update the extruder-specific parts such as the different motor bridge pieces, umbilical PCB mounts, cable_doors and filament release levers.

My current focus is learning JavaScript and building a configurator to help people find which .stl files they need for any given printer setup. I am starting to build the output logic but I would appreciate some feedback on the usability of the form so far.

• Like 3
  • Voron FTW! 2

13 hours ago, atrushing said:

Since I've already hijacked my own thread, I'll give a small update on my progress with the Mini Stealth v2. Right now it supports 9 different extruders and 17 hotends.

Mini_Stealth_split_small.thumb.png.1f17c8364b09ddd47f654308a13efc69.png

Most of the 3D files are ready but I need to update the extruder-specific parts such as the different motor bridge pieces, umbilical PCB mounts, cable_doors and filament release levers.

My current focus is learning JavaScript and building a configurator to help people find which .stl files they need for any given printer setup. I am starting to build the output logic but I would appreciate some feedback on the usability of the form so far.

Usability seems good. Played with it a bit this morning. Is the plan to make a clickable link to take you directly to the files? Or will it create a zip for download? Either would be good options; just curious.

27 minutes ago, Killajoedotcom said:

Is the plan to make a clickable link to take you directly to the files? Or will it create a zip for download? Either would be good options; just curious.

I wish it could work that way but I can't access a direct download link on any of the regular file hosting sites and I'm not up for hosting my own server/site. The text that says "Visit the 'Mini Stealth - LGX Lite' page for extruder specific files" will have the link to the correct page for each group of files. I will add a new downloads page for files that are common across all versions such as the x-carriages.

With the output list of required files, I want to make check-boxes to the side of each one that lets the user select "Downloaded" and "Printed" and have the buttons change to "Finished" and highlighted after clicking them. I think this is the best I can offer while using free hosting. The main problem that I'm trying to solve is that a list of up to 100 files is too daunting for many people to bother with but there are at least 500 different combinations of the Mini Stealth that can be built..

• Like 2

On 5/16/2023 at 5:21 PM, atrushing said:

I've been busy but haven't finished much today.

20230516_215140.thumb.jpg.70c5935b67a8fe6440cd6e49e8926f9e.jpg

All three of the endstops are ready.

20230516_214336.thumb.jpg.58f2c40e3f9ab3771826d2bdb79d66d6.jpg

And I've remixed the controller mount to fit the Manta M8P.

20230516_220001.thumb.jpg.5e3661b9bab17c60fcda98be7ada392e.jpg

Super cool build!

Now I see what your talking about with the Beacon not fitting. That mini probe looks like a really interesting alternative for your mini stealth burner.

• Thanks 1

On 2/15/2024 at 7:23 AM, atrushing said:

I wish it could work that way but I can't access a direct download link on any of the regular file hosting sites and I'm not up for hosting my own server/site. The text that says "Visit the 'Mini Stealth - LGX Lite' page for extruder specific files" will have the link to the correct page for each group of files. I will add a new downloads page for files that are common across all versions such as the x-carriages.

With the output list of required files, I want to make check-boxes to the side of each one that lets the user select "Downloaded" and "Printed" and have the buttons change to "Finished" and highlighted after clicking them. I think this is the best I can offer while using free hosting. The main problem that I'm trying to solve is that a list of up to 100 files is too daunting for many people to bother with but there are at least 500 different combinations of the Mini Stealth that can be built..

That makes sense and would be solution. 500 combinations, another story. If I knew how, I'd offer to help.

• Thanks 1

On 2/15/2024 at 5:23 AM, atrushing said:

The main problem that I'm trying to solve is that a list of up to 100 files is too daunting for many people to bother with but there are at least 500 different combinations of the Mini Stealth that can be built.

Still not up to Hero Me levels!

That said, last time I looked, figuring out what I needed to build a Hero Me toolhead for one of my old bedslingers was VERY confusing.  So maybe that's not a good target :-).

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Even if you have a perfect configurator, a lot of people will be confused because it is a complicated issue.  Putting a ton of work on it will let a few more people manage it, but it probably won't knock off more than 10% or so of the confused people.

The main problem I had with the configurator is mostly a naming-consistency issue.  Like the suggested shroud is "[b]_MiniStealth_Core_Orbiter_2.0_Dragonfly.stl", which probably means "[a]_Mini_Stealth_Orb_2.0_Dragonfly_v1.2.4.stl".  And the assembly instructions usually state the function of the piece, so you have to figure out which filename it means.  Making the references consistent with the filenames, and perhaps underlining or otherwise marking the part references would go a long way.  But that's a lot of work, for sure.

5 hours ago, dshess said:

The main problem I had with the configurator is mostly a naming-consistency issue.  Like the suggested shroud is "[b]_MiniStealth_Core_Orbiter_2.0_Dragonfly.stl", which probably means "[a]_Mini_Stealth_Orb_2.0_Dragonfly_v1.2.4.stl".  And the assembly instructions usually state the function of the piece, so you have to figure out which filename it means.  Making the references consistent with the filenames, and perhaps underlining or otherwise marking the part references would go a long way.  But that's a lot of work, for sure.

Thanks for the feedback. The [b] base, [p] primary and [a] accent color identifiers are carried over from my Vorpal printer where the frame is printed with the [b] color. When the new files and instructions are uploaded it should start to make more sense. Each extruder/display/V0_probe will have a unique Shroud piece and each hotend/extruder group will have a unique Core piece.

Mini_Stealth_split.thumb.png.640e7e3dd95292c5366e172d87231a0b.png

So, as the configurator receives the inputs it can use a few lookup tables to (hopefully) add the correct parts to the list.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Was wondering: What is the volume size necessary to print the parts for Vorpal?  My eyeball guess is 180x180 (so it would be self-hosting).

I've been pondering building a Bastion (Rolohaun design) using a stripped i3 clone for motion parts.  That build uses rods instead of rails, so it is more appropriate to the parts I have.  But I keep comparing to this build, which definitely has a different approach to the frame.  The Bastion is a bit, well, chunky?  It definitely feels a bit the frame has excessive build-up in some areas.

[Since I actually have two variants of the machine I'm using as a parts donor, I'm also considering just doing the Bastion with only minor mods to accommodate rod length, and then freestyle another build from there.  That's probably more sane :-).]

2 hours ago, dshess said:

Was wondering: What is the volume size necessary to print the parts for Vorpal?  My eyeball guess is 180x180 (so it would be self-hosting).

The bottom skirts are too long to fit on its own build volume and they ended up a little longer than when i posted the linked comment. I could split them in half but I haven't gotten around to that yet. I got distracted with the Mini Stealth v2 release so I still need to go back and finish the Vorpal manual.

I was getting some good speeds on this printer and, with input shaping, the print quality was at least as good as any of my other printers.

• Like 1