Mellow SB2040 CanBus board

Manny

Hello, my first topic here, hope to do the right things.

Did anyone run into the Voron Stealhtburner leds not working with the Sb2040 in can bus mode?

I have everything configured correctly, all the GPio in the right place, all working but the leds....

Very frustrating!

The motherboard is the new Octopus Max EZ V1.0 without the UC2, tested the led with the connector on the board, all working, 

connected another CanBus board to the same motherboard(a  BigTreetech EBB SB2240_2209 CAN v1.0) and working 100%.

Was wondering if someone have solved this mistery.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Manny said:

Did anyone run into the Voron Stealhtburner leds not working with the Sb2040 in can bus mode?

I have two Voron's with SB2040 Canbus boards and no issue with LED's . Both machines have Octopus v1.1 boards and canboot installed. LEDs connected to the breakout board in the stealthburner toolhead.

IMG_3904.thumb.jpeg.66de1ac1daf05647120bc1d9a39cace7.jpeg

Loose connections or faulty board?

Check the neopixel configuration:

[neopixel my_neopixel]
pin: sb2040:gpio12
chain_count: 12
color_order: GRBW
initial_RED: 0.0
initial_GREEN: 0.0
initial_BLUE: 0.0

What speed you running the board at ? (Canbus speed)The default is 500000 though I flashed mine to run at 1000000.

• Like 1

I have the same setup, Canbus speed is 1.000.000, the only difference is the new board, which I wanted to try as it power up the raspberry directly instead of using a power supply.

I do have a Led.cfg as I use it for the various status of the printer but is working great when connected to the RGB on the board, just dead when connected to the SB2040. 
Don't understand what I'm doing wrong, as when I connected another Stealthburner with the BTT breakout board, the leds are working as they should...

Edited by Manny

8 hours ago, Manny said:

Hello, my first topic here, hope to do the right things.

I have everything configured correctly, all the GPio in the right place, all working but the leds....

Very frustrating!

The motherboard is the new Octopus Max EZ V1.0 without the UC2, tested the led with the connector on the board, all working, 

connected another CanBus board to the same motherboard(a  BigTreetech EBB SB2240_2209 CAN v1.0) and working 100%.

Was wondering if someone have solved this mistery.

Cheers.

Edited by Manny

27 minutes ago, Manny said:

I have the same setup, Canbus speed is 1.000.000, the only difference is the new board, which I wanted to try as it power up the raspberry directly instead of using a power supply.

I do have a Led.cfg as I use it for the various status of the printer but is working great when connected to the RGB on the board, just dead when connected to the SB2040. 
Don't understand what I'm doing wrong, as when I connected another Stealthburner with the BTT breakout board, the leds are working as they should...

Ps. With the different canbus breakout board, I changed just the led pin reference  in the .cfg file as is using different names, nothing else , and is working as it should.

7 hours ago, mvdveer said:

I have two Voron's with SB2040 Canbus boards and no issue with LED's . Both machines have Octopus v1.1 boards and canboot installed. LEDs connected to the breakout board in the stealthburner toolhead.

IMG_3904.thumb.jpeg.66de1ac1daf05647120bc1d9a39cace7.jpeg

Loose connections or faulty board?

I have many of these boards, tried all of them, no one works, all brand new, they cannot be all faulty, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, just don't understand what.😔

Update...

I flashed another 2 boards, Octopus 1.1(the old one i have), canbus with bridge onboard and mellow working ok, the only one not working are the leds.

Fans, heater, temperature reading is 100%. if i connect the leds to the mainboard (pin PB0) and change the pin in the "Leds.cfg" they lights up as they should.

Dunno what to do more, i'm lost.

Edited by Manny

1 hour ago, Manny said:

Update...

I flashed another 2 boards, Octopus 1.1(the old one i have), canbus with bridge onboard and mellow working ok, the only one not working are the leds.

Fans, heater, temperature reading is 100%. if i connect the leds to the mainboard (pin PB0) and change the pin in the "Leds.cfg" they lights up as they should.

Dunno what to do more, i'm lost.

Can you upload your printer.cfg, neopixel.cfg and macro.cfg  files please and I'll have a look

Here you have it, is the new one i made for the Octopus EZ_MAX.

The configuration even if basic, is functional 100%.

I have to add, by connecting a different CanBus breakout board to the same configuration and obviously changing the reference to the pins and Can Address, i have the leds working.

Thank you for your time...

mellow_canbus.cfg printer.cfg stealthburner_leds.cfg

29 minutes ago, Manny said:

I have to add, by connecting a different CanBus breakout board to the same configuration and obviously changing the reference to the pins and Can Address, i have the leds working.

Excellent!

Will have a look at the files tonight.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Excellent!

Will have a look at the files tonight.

This is another extruder with the Bigtreetech CanBus, connected to the same board with the same config files just changed the pins, all working straight out of the box.

I'm wondering if is the breakboard firmware?

BTT_CanBus.jpg

Hi, same here, Stealthburner RGB leds not working on the SB2040, they only occasionally blink. The SB2040 is connected to a BTT Octopus Pro 1.0. All other components on SB2040 are working flawlessly. Same leds connected to the Octopus work fine, too. I thought it's because of the 3.3V signal level of the Rpi2040, so I put a level-shifter in between (Texas Instruments TXB0101, should be fast enough...). No success 😞 . On oscilloscope the signal looks fine, so I checked the signal with my logic analyzer which tells me that the SB2040 is outputting corrupted data. I'll upload some screenshots the next days. I guess it's something firmware related...

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the news even if depressing.

BUT i have an update, i tried again the breakout board, this time connected to a Mellow  Fly Ut0c-3 interface, touched nothing as comes with Candlelight firmware already on,

connected the PI, canbus and 24 volts (i do not run CanBus bootloader as the Breakout board can be updated as a normal usb disk(drag and drop the firmware) when in DFU mode).

The leds are working as normal🙄,  i cannot explain the phenomenon, is beyond my knowledge.

Not happy enough, i tried even a BTT U2C 2.1 board, same result, is working!!

If you have a UTC0 or whatever board you have, give it a try, so i'm not the only one here scratching my head.  

Attached is the picture of the 2 boards used, that was my first choice, then decided to override by connecting the Stealthburner directly to the Motherboard.

Boards.jpg

@Manny So it means you swapped your Octopus with a CAN bus adapter, and the same SB2040 has working leds on this setup now?

No, I don't own a UTOC or similar CAN bus adapter; as the Octopus can be used in bridge adapter mode I could avoid buying a separate adapter.

Another phenomenon I haven't mentioned that when I touch the traces/contacts on the breakout board of the SB2040 with my fingers/tweezers etc. the leds "work better" (from blinking only occasionally to blinking frequently), like described here

So, basically, i flashed the Octopus with the simple Usb firmware, co canbus nor canboot, just plain firmware,

then isetup the UTOC connected to the PI, then used the canbus on the UTOC to connect the Stealthburner board... all working.

I just don't understand the process, it's all very bizarre.

11 minutes ago, Manny said:

I just don't understand the process, it's all very bizarre.

My understanding of it all:

1. Canboot on the Octopus - so you can flash the firmware to the SB2040 Canbus board WITHOUT using the USB cable to flash or update the firmware.

2. Canbus - the communications interface between the different electronic boards. This can be directly connected to the Octopus board through the can bus port, OR can be connected via a communications interface UTOC or similar. This connection can be from the Raspberry pi (Pi-Hat/Waveshare).

3. CanBridge - Octopus board flashed with Canbus Klipper firmware to communicate with the SB2040 through the Canbus port.

As you did it, the Octopus communicates with Raspi through USB and the SB2040 communicates with the Raspi through the UTOC board, which communicates with the Raspi through USB. (Klipper commands transmitted from Raspi to Octopus board for execution by printer AND Klipper commands transmitted to UTOC to SB2040 for execution)

If the Octopus was flashed with CanBridge, then it communicates with the Raspi through USB and with the SB2040 through the Canbus port. (Klipper commands transmitted from Raspi to Octopus board for execution as well as to the SB2040 via the Octopus CanBridge for execution)

Why the LEDs didn't work as expected - that remains a mystery

What you said is correct 100%, and shouldn't make any difference in how the extruder board is connected if everything is working.

What i don't understand is why in your case is working, why in one way it works and not in the other, i have no idea, but it would be good to know how to solve the matter, as i'm not the only one here.

Is frustrating because i just put aside the UTOC for a matter of convenience in having less connection under the printer, not for saving a few Pounds.

I think i stick with the BTT board on the Stealth, much more flexible architecture and plenty of options at the same price, not talking about the quality.

• Like 1

I have the same setup Mellow sb2040, Ut0c-3 interface and everything is good except Neopixels. I have had them "work" a few times where they would come up at the default state but was unable to control them. Sometimes they don't work at all and I have been able to get them to come up with a power recycle but never able to control them. I too have tested them from Octopus Neo pin and they are fine. The connections are solid. Have rung them out several times to verify. Config Settings are as suggested with I/O set to SB2040 I/O 12. Really frustrating issue. I may resort to scoping I/O lines to see if I can sort this out but suspect firmware snafu. Could it be a lack of needed pullup or ? 

• Like 1

My Bad. The change did not fix the issue. Actually, I can completely comment out the Neopixel config and the LEDs default to all full brightness. I don't care about the Barf effects etc so this is actually fine for me. I have other things to do so not going to look into it further right now.