Installed a Nozzle Camera - Thought I'd share...

StalkS

Hey Everyone,

I thought I'd share my experience installing a nozzle cam on my V2.4.

The background:

So at the beginning of the month I received a mailout form Obi The Owl (obico.io) about a trial for Celestrius - their answer to Bambu Labs LiDAR system.  Celestrius is an AI model for camera's - I had always been curious about installing a nozzlecam and AI in general so kept reading...  At the end of the email was a link to a questionnaire I filled it in and it pointed me to various resources to pick up the equipment (see link below) & if you were a successful applicant they would give you 12 months of their service for free - Unfortunately, I wasn't chosen to participate in the trial, but I now knew where to get everything so I ordered the parts as I had been meaning to upgrade my legacy Afterburner setup for a while.

So I took my time, got all the pieces together for my Stealthburner build - Orbiter 2, Fans, Barf LEDs and the 4k nozzle cam kit.

nozzle2.jpg.9e8d89b6b7950df649e0925bd60b34a6.jpg

Video of my first layer squish test with nozzle cam

It's taken about a week to get installed as I have been doing it my lunch hours but I am really pleased that it is all now working and it is very impressive!

Link to the Obico post with where to purchase the camera for your region - I got mine from 3DO (the manufacturer) and it arrived within a couple of days. 

I have a feeling that this might become quite a standard mod for 3D printers going forward.

Cheers

StalkS

Edited by StalkS
added tags
  • Like 4

I would love a nozzle cam and this one looks promising. But I hate where it's mounted (blocks Mk 1 eyeball sensor), and don't care for where the PCB gets mounted (blocks mounting the ADXL when you need it). Hmmm...with Tap there's an empty spot behind the nozzle where the inductive or Klicky probes used to live. Now I'm having bad thoughts. 🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I ended up fixing the PCB to the underneath of the cable chain mount at the rear of the StealthBurner it works great & I can still mount the ADXL - I've also heard of some people mounting it to the rear of the stepper motor for the extruder but I was worried about heat transfer.

Silly question what's the MK1 eyeball sensor?

@StalkS looks brilliant, thanks for sharing. Out of interest did you have to muck about changing the focal length/focussing it. I see that involves "breaking" some glue off and reglueing it which sounds like it could be a challenge for the larger fingered amongst us 🤣

2 hours ago, smirk said:

@StalkS looks brilliant, thanks for sharing. Out of interest did you have to muck about changing the focal length/focussing it. I see that involves "breaking" some glue off and reglueing it which sounds like it could be a challenge for the larger fingered amongst us 🤣

No mucking about with the focus - I did have to splice together two StealthBurner front covers, one for the Orbiter 2, and one for the Nozzlecam which may have changed the focal length by a mm or so, and I also removed the silicon sock from the Dragon Hotend to get a clearer view.  So no worries about the fat fingers! 

Edited by StalkS
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2023 at 9:41 AM, claudermilk said:

I would love a nozzle cam and this one looks promising. But I hate where it's mounted (blocks Mk 1 eyeball sensor), and don't care for where the PCB gets mounted (blocks mounting the ADXL when you need it). Hmmm...with Tap there's an empty spot behind the nozzle where the inductive or Klicky probes used to live. Now I'm having bad thoughts. 🤔

Tried Tap for a while. The added weight was causing issues. Moves back to StealthBurner and onto my next build with CANbus. This will greatly reduce gantry weight and totally eliminates the X and Y drag chains in the process. 4 wires instead of 18, uh, yes please!

Will post a build diary on this one although I won't be hurrying to get it up and running in record time. This one will be built using a more methodical approach and deliberate pauses to QA/QC along the way.

• Like 1