Touch screen non reponsive

mvdveer

Question

To all the raspi gurrus out there. Ran into a problem and don't know if it is a faulty screen or faulty pi.

BTT PiTFT50 touchscreen - installed and booting up. Klipperscreen installed and displaying on touchscreen. Though NO touch - does not respond to touch. Cables changed - no difference.

Error through running dmesg:

[    9.210582] rpi_touchscreen_attiny 10-0045: Failed to read REG_ID reg: -5
[    9.210619] rpi_touchscreen_attiny: probe of 10-0045 failed with error -5

Tried googling - no joy - YET

Thanks in advance

@nannyogg82 - I have just been through the same process

This fixed it for me Touch did not work after Update (OS related, not caused by KS) 

My setup: 

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

BIGTREETECH PI TFT50 V2.0

I had a similar issue after performing all updates on my RPI (Debian Bullseye) through Mainsail (including OS update). The screen is a Waveshare 4.3", Klipper screen displays correctly but now all touch inputs only work on the left side of the screen.

It's as if the touch sensitive area has been scaled by 0.5 on X. For example to click the far right button on the screen I have to click just left of the centre of the screen.

I went through the troubleshooting steps using raspi-config, but didn't find the "FKMS" option there so had to edit the /boot/config.txt file to add the appropriate dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d

To correct the "half screen" touch input I followed the instructions for ROTATING the screen here. To find the touch input device I ran:

DISPLAY=:0 xinput

With the following results:
⎡ Virtual core pointer                                   id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ raspberrypi-ts                                       id=7    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                                id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
   ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard                id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ UVC Camera (046d:0825)                   id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]

But instead of INVERTING the touch area I had to scale it using using the following command:

DISPLAY=:0 xinput set-prop 'raspberrypi-ts' 'Coordinate Transformation Matrix' 0.5 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1

NOTE: in the above command 'raspberry-ts' may NOT be the same on your system.

To make that change persistent after a reboot, I followed the instructions listed at the bottom of the article, editing the /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf file. This seems to have fixed my issue, for the most part, not perfectly accurate when using the smaller keyboard on the screen, but passable for the bigger buttons.

Touch is again working! Hope it helps!

Edited by StalkS

On 3/30/2023 at 12:39 AM, mvdveer said:

Alright - Lets start from scratch: (I know you have done all this and forgive me for suggesting the obvious)

1. Ribbon cable connection - ensure the ribbon is orientated the correct way - On the BTT boards this is not always evident.

image.thumb.png.8ff4105253da3cad52343c7790480cb2.png\

The cable is entered by moving/lifting the little black clamp upwards, inserting the cable and then pressing the black tab downwards. (On the pi this tab is pulled out and pushed back in)

2. Ensure the brightness is turned up on the TFT screen

image.thumb.png.e73c51618cd54fef0e9dffa01de6a722.png

3. Ensure correct connection to raspi pi - display port

image.thumb.png.70249dbeaa7b17fce471deca62b95dd7.png

4. SSH into your pi and open up kiauh.

5. Uninstall klipperscreen.

6. Reboot the pi and ensure you can see the console commands on the screen during boot up.

7. ssh back into the pi and run sudo raspi-config

8. Go to System Info ---> Interface options -----> Enable I2C and OK ---> Enable SPI and ok

9. Reboot the system.

10 ssh into the pi, start kiauh and re-install klipperscreen

11. Reboot the system

12. Fingers, arms, legs, toes, everything crossed - please work!😁

Lets see what happens.

So I did a fresh clean install to try and get this working. Followed all the steps and after the installation the touchscreen would still not work. Changed the GL driver and the "sudo nano /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf" to /dev/fb0 and now I am back at the console. I have noticed after the latest install though there is no longer any update service for Klipperscreen on Mainsail and when I try to run the following "sudo service KlipperScreen" I get a message saying KlipperScreen: Unrecognised service.

Here is the latest KlipperScreen log from the fresh clean system install. I have looked through it, but there's nothing in there which is immediately obvious to me as an issue.

I think I just have to accept defeat, I have tried every single solution I can find anywhere online and the end result is always the same. The touchscreen refuses to work then when I update the drivers all I can ever see is the console and nothing I do ever changes that. Fed up! 😞

KlipperScreen.log

I did a new install for a new printer I made and it got imaged with the newer Debian, so I had a unresponsive touchscreen by default.

Steps I did were (not used KIUAH) followed the mvdveer post...

Sudo raspi-config

added the SPI and I2C > reboot (not working)

Changed resolution in raspi-config to 1920x1080 > reboot (not working)

Then did a sudo nano /boot/config.txt

changed this: dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d

to this: dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d

saved, reboot and WORKED.

No idea if the order of things made this happen for me, next time I just try the last one first.

Happy printer ..

20230402_100041344_iOS.jpg

On 4/3/2023 at 4:09 PM, claudermilk said:

Happy printer using KAMP and printing a new sibling.

Yeah, and I REALLY like the purge of it, it always makes things sticking to the hotend stick to the bed at purge.. 

Thanks again for pointing me in the direction of it!!

• Like 3

On 4/2/2023 at 1:43 PM, Buurman said:

I did a new install for a new printer I made and it got imaged with the newer Debian, so I had a unresponsive touchscreen by default.

Steps I did were (not used KIUAH) followed the mvdveer post...

Sudo raspi-config

added the SPI and I2C > reboot (not working)

Changed resolution in raspi-config to 1920x1080 > reboot (not working)

Then did a sudo nano /boot/config.txt

changed this: dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d

to this: dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d

saved, reboot and WORKED.

No idea if the order of things made this happen for me, next time I just try the last one first.

Happy printer ..

I changed the kms to fkms and worked. Thank you

• Like 1
  • Voron FTW! 2