Touch screen non reponsive

mvdveer

Question

To all the raspi gurrus out there. Ran into a problem and don't know if it is a faulty screen or faulty pi.

BTT PiTFT50 touchscreen - installed and booting up. Klipperscreen installed and displaying on touchscreen. Though NO touch - does not respond to touch. Cables changed - no difference.

Error through running dmesg:

[    9.210582] rpi_touchscreen_attiny 10-0045: Failed to read REG_ID reg: -5
[    9.210619] rpi_touchscreen_attiny: probe of 10-0045 failed with error -5

Tried googling - no joy - YET

Thanks in advance

Got it sorted - working now. Initially just edited the config.txt file to include spi and i2c interfaces . However, I then enabled those through raspi-config and captivate touch worked after rebooting. Whether it was that or not, I would not know - but it is working.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 4:03 AM, mvdveer said:

Got it sorted - working now. Initially just edited the config.txt file to include spi and i2c interfaces . However, I then enabled those through raspi-config and captivate touch worked after rebooting. Whether it was that or not, I would not know - but it is working.

Its a known bug now, it ahppens after an klippers update or a klipperscreen update.

https://klipperscreen.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Troubleshooting/#touch-not-working-on-debian-bullseye

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Buurman said:

Its a known bug now, it ahppens after an klippers update or a klipperscreen update.

Thanks for that - love this forum, always learn something new

1 hour ago, mvdveer said:

Thanks for that - love this forum, always learn something new

Well, I learn it again from people who use my builds 😛 hahaha! luckily they are often technical and can solve it themselves.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 4:03 AM, mvdveer said:

Got it sorted - working now. Initially just edited the config.txt file to include spi and i2c interfaces

@mvdveer can you tell us exactly what, since this is happening all over the place 😉 

And klipper solution doesnt always work...

I did not use the klipper solution as I was unaware of this.

This is what I did and it worked after these steps:

1. SSH into the Raspi -Pi and run

sudo raspi-config

image.thumb.png.9ff2e2f650a74bb1b7081aea9d7372a2.png

2. Choose interface options:

image.thumb.png.c64b461789405aa2c5b687392a04c3ab.png

3, Enable SPI Kernel

image.thumb.png.c34a7967af02ff62b67081dda0ce7cf7.png

4. Enable I2C

image.thumb.png.3f9b3aa30c9da840b2bf51f994c7887a.png

5. Reboot

Hope this helps

• Thanks 1

I also have had this problem. When I install KlipperScreen is appears the first time, but the touch doesn't work. So following the troubleshooting guide I change the GL driver. However, my system only displays two options. Legacy or Full KMS, there is no option for Fake KMS. So I have made the suggested changes through text editing the /boot/config.txt file. Immediately after doing this and rebooting the screen only shows the console. I have had this issue for months, I was previously able to solve it by changing the sudo nano /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf to /dev/fb0, where after adding this file in and restarting the screen would appear and would work. However, no matter how many times I try that now and reboot it only ever brings up the console. Does anyone have any solutions? I'm using the Raspberry Pi 7" touch screen. I have tried using both kiauh and installing KlipperScreen manually and still have the same issue.

I have posted about it in the following forum:

@nannyogg82 Dumb question... How is your screen connected to the Pi? Ribbon cable or HDMI? I ask this because when I was adding a klipperscreen to my RatRig V-Minion... I connected the HDMI to the Pi and then just routed the USB (on the screen) to power. The screen came up fine but the touchscreen feature didn't work. After thinking about it a little I surmised that the USB needs to be connected to the Pi for the touchscreen to function. Might not be your issue but, ya never know.

1 minute ago, Buurman said:

If not running, or just try this anyway...

sudo bash -c "echo needs_root_rights=yes>>/etc/X11/Xwrapper.config"

and

sudo service KlipperScreen restart

Is this after I have changed the GL driver and the coke is showing? I’ve removed KlipperScreen for the time being. 

ah, you need to have Klipperscreen installed for this

I would try other options later if the touch isnt working after, but this should bring back the dashboard...

And try the raspi-config ones first from @mvdveer to bring back touch, and go from there...

On 3/10/2023 at 3:03 AM, mvdveer said:

When adding these into the txt file do I just add SPI & i2C anywhere? And just using those names?

Alright - Lets start from scratch: (I know you have done all this and forgive me for suggesting the obvious)

1. Ribbon cable connection - ensure the ribbon is orientated the correct way - On the BTT boards this is not always evident.

image.thumb.png.8ff4105253da3cad52343c7790480cb2.png\

The cable is entered by moving/lifting the little black clamp upwards, inserting the cable and then pressing the black tab downwards. (On the pi this tab is pulled out and pushed back in)

2. Ensure the brightness is turned up on the TFT screen

image.thumb.png.e73c51618cd54fef0e9dffa01de6a722.png

3. Ensure correct connection to raspi pi - display port

image.thumb.png.70249dbeaa7b17fce471deca62b95dd7.png

4. SSH into your pi and open up kiauh.

5. Uninstall klipperscreen.

6. Reboot the pi and ensure you can see the console commands on the screen during boot up.

7. ssh back into the pi and run sudo raspi-config

8. Go to System Info ---> Interface options -----> Enable I2C and OK ---> Enable SPI and ok

9. Reboot the system.

10 ssh into the pi, start kiauh and re-install klipperscreen

11. Reboot the system

12. Fingers, arms, legs, toes, everything crossed - please work!😁

Lets see what happens.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Alright - Lets start from scratch: (I know you have done all this and forgive me for suggesting the obvious)

1. Ribbon cable connection - ensure the ribbon is orientated the correct way - On the BTT boards this is not always evident.

image.thumb.png.8ff4105253da3cad52343c7790480cb2.png\

The cable is entered by moving/lifting the little black clamp upwards, inserting the cable and then pressing the black tab downwards. (On the pi this tab is pulled out and pushed back in)

2. Ensure the brightness is turned up on the TFT screen

image.thumb.png.e73c51618cd54fef0e9dffa01de6a722.png

3. Ensure correct connection to raspi pi - display port

image.thumb.png.70249dbeaa7b17fce471deca62b95dd7.png

4. SSH into your pi and open up kiauh.

5. Uninstall klipperscreen.

6. Reboot the pi and ensure you can see the console commands on the screen during boot up.

7. ssh back into the pi and run sudo raspi-config

8. Go to System Info ---> Interface options -----> Enable I2C and OK ---> Enable SPI and ok

9. Reboot the system.

10 ssh into the pi, start kiauh and re-install klipperscreen

11. Reboot the system

12. Fingers, arms, legs, toes, everything crossed - please work!😁

Lets see what happens.

Just tried and no luck unfortunately. The uninstall feature doesn't seem to remove all aspects of the programme and after I tried the uninstall some of the settings from the previous install were still left behind. When I reinstalled it the screen still only showed the console so I checked in /boot/config.txt and the dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d was still active. I returned this back to dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d but the screen still only shows the console even after a fresh uninstall/reinstall and rebooting. Is there any way of completely removing KlipperScreen without doing a whole new fresh install on my machine? Whatever elements are left behind when using the Kiauh uninstall are still interfering with the screen and stopping it showing anything but the console.

Have you tried these steps?

Screen shows console instead of KlipperScreen

If you have multiple framebuffers, you may need to fix the X11 configuration, list the available framebuffers and check the current one:

ls /dev/fb*
cat /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf | grep /dev/fb

If you more than one, try changing it:

sudo nano /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf

for example: change /dev/fb0 to /dev/fb1

Once you have saved that file, restart KlipperScreen.

If that fails:

First to try and get rid of ALL of Klipperscreen

Normally this command should get rid of all the components of a specific package:

sudo apt-get purge -y KlipperScreen

Then manually install: (Not through kiauh)

cd ~/
git clone https://github.com/jordanruthe/KlipperScreen.git
cd ~/KlipperScreen
./scripts/KlipperScreen-install.sh

If that fails, please post your KlipperScreen log file

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Have you tried these steps?

Screen shows console instead of KlipperScreen

If you have multiple framebuffers, you may need to fix the X11 configuration, list the available framebuffers and check the current one:

ls /dev/fb*
cat /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf | grep /dev/fb

If you more than one, try changing it:

sudo nano /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf

for example: change /dev/fb0 to /dev/fb1

Once you have saved that file, restart KlipperScreen.

If that fails:

First to try and get rid of ALL of Klipperscreen

Normally this command should get rid of all the components of a specific package:

sudo apt-get purge -y KlipperScreen

Then manually install: (Not through kiauh)

cd ~/
git clone https://github.com/jordanruthe/KlipperScreen.git
cd ~/KlipperScreen
./scripts/KlipperScreen-install.sh

If that fails, please post your KlipperScreen log file

Fallen at the first hurdle I'm afraid, when I tried the script to remove KlipperScreen this is what I get....klipperscreen.jpg.66f6f2aa57a561c17ed9dd768134803c.jpg