LGX Extruder Gears not turning

BlueBleo

Question

7 answers to this question

8 minutes ago, BlueBleo said:

I have an LGX on my stealthburner and when I tell the printer to extrude the big gear just sorta bounces and jiggles, never turning. I posted a video on the VoronDesign reddit if it helps:

Here's my extruder config, I copied it from another forum thread but I don't know if it's the problem.

[extruder]

step_pin: PE2

dir_pin: PE3

enable_pin: !PD4

##  Update value below when you perform extruder calibration

##  If you ask for 100mm of filament, but in reality it is 98mm:

##  rotation_distance = <previous_rotation_distance> * <actual_extrude_distance> / 100

##  22.6789511 is a good starting point

rotation_distance: 8  #Bondtech 5mm Drive Gears

##  Update Gear Ratio depending on your Extruder Type

##  Use 50:10 for Stealthburner/Clockwork 2

##  Use 50:17 for Afterburner/Clockwork (BMG Gear Ratio)

##  Use 80:20 for M4, M3.1

#gear_ratio: 44:14, 37:17               #LGX Gear Ratio

microsteps: 16

full_steps_per_rotation: 200   #200 for 1.8 degree, 400 for 0.9 degree

nozzle_diameter: 0.400

filament_diameter: 1.75

I cannot see the whole section of the config, it cuts off at filament-diameter as personal messaging does not allow for a lot of characters. (TIP - If you click the <> on the toolbar, it will opens a code box where the code could be posted)

Uncomment  #gear_ratio: 44:14, 37:17               #LGX Gear Ratio

gear_ratio: 44:14, 37:17               #LGX Gear Ratio

Also need to decrease the power going to the motor in the [tmc2209 extruder] section by lowering the run_current to 0.6, if not already so. Here is a copy of mine:

##  E0 on MOTOR6
[tmc2209 extruder]
uart_pin: PE1
interpolate: false
run_current: 0.6
sense_resistor: 0.110
#stealthchop_threshold: 0

3 minutes ago, mvdveer said:

I cannot see the whole section of the config, it cuts off at filament-diameter as personal messaging does not allow for a lot of characters. (TIP - If you click the <> on the toolbar, it will opens a code box where the code could be posted)

Uncomment  #gear_ratio: 44:14, 37:17               #LGX Gear Ratio

gear_ratio: 44:14, 37:17               #LGX Gear Ratio

Also need to decrease the power going to the motor in the [tmc2209 extruder] section by lowering the run_current to 0.6, if not already so. Here is a copy of mine:

##  E0 on MOTOR6
[tmc2209 extruder]
uart_pin: PE1
interpolate: false
run_current: 0.6
sense_resistor: 0.110
#stealthchop_threshold: 0

I did this, and now the extruder is just buzzing.

1 hour ago, BlueBleo said:

I disconnected the motor from the lgx and sent the command, and it didn't turn, just vibrated. Makes me think something is up with the motor itself.

Could be Voltage, could be wiring. We swapped the middle two wires, and that made no difference. Try swapping wire three and four. Outside wire and one next to it.

2 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Could be Voltage, could be wiring. We swapped the middle two wires, and that made no difference. Try swapping wire three and four. Outside wire and one next to it.

I did this, and nothing changed. A little more info, I changed the extrusion speed and tried it a few times and it's interesting. When it's on low speed, the motor jitters violently. When it's on medium speed (~5mm/s) it will rotate like it's having a seizure, spinning clockwise and then counter-clockwise completely randomly. At high speeds, the gear doesn't turn but I can feel something inside the motor spinning, like a very small vibration.

1 minute ago, BlueBleo said:

I did this, and nothing changed. A little more info, I changed the extrusion speed and tried it a few times and it's interesting. When it's on low speed, the motor jitters violently. When it's on medium speed (~5mm/s) it will rotate like it's having a seizure, spinning clockwise and then counter-clockwise completely randomly. At high speeds, the gear doesn't turn but I can feel something inside the motor spinning, like a very small vibration.

Right after posting this I went back and tried it a few more times, and it worked at 25mm/s, then it didn't, then it did again. It's back to not working at all, but I have no idea what's going on.