weird noise and belt rubing

leo etchaas

Question

Hi ! I have this weird noise on my printer when doing fast move like QGL.

https://cloud.avilab.fr/index.php/s/pmoKLa3zLbBKcsL

can anyone help me ? preferably someone who got the same problem and solved it as I tried a lot of things already.

tried to square gantry as in the youtube vids,

tried to tighten the belts,  150 mm 110 hz thing,

set the belt hight on the motors,

Lubed the rails,

checked if no screw was loose on the rails

a lot of other useless stuff

also change the motors and the drivers. did not work

no change at all. We are totaly lost on this one please help me.

I work on the machine with a friend that work in industry machines and I do repair trotec laser cutters also professionaly ! so we are quite good at this normally.

Leo

8 answers to this question

18 minutes ago, leo etchaas said:

can anyone help me ? preferably someone who got the same problem and solved it as I tried a lot of things already.

Disable stealthchop - it is the motors that make the noise.

In the TMC2009 driver setting change stealthchop from 999999 to 0. Do this at least for X and Y-axis

Should solve the problem

##	Make sure to update below for your relevant driver (2208 or 2209 and change your pin if needed)
[tmc2209 stepper_x]
uart_pin: PC4
interpolate: False   # Change this from TRUE to False
run_current: 0.8
hold_current: 0.7
sense_resistor: 0.110
stealthchop_threshold: 0

• Voron FTW! 1

ok thanks for your reply, I will try this soon. The x/y motors are actualy set at 999999.

Can you give me more details on how this works ? the "whys" ?
I am printing right now so I will try it tomorow but for the quality of the forum I will of course tell you if it did work or not.

I would like my printer to be very fast so having 150 mm/s is not possible for me.

For the moment, I use 24v but when I will figure out how to make BTT TMC 5160 HV work on 48v and SPI, I will increase speed even more.

Thanks a lot for this quick and promising reply *mvdveer* 🤗

Edited by leo etchaas

3 minutes ago, leo etchaas said:

Can you give me more details on how this works ? the "whys" ?

See here for detailed explanation. Basically stealthchop is supposed to be faster but has less torque than spreadcycle. Stealthchop at high speeds causes a deviation at constant speed and thus the motors become noisy. (there is a lag in the motors and they need to catch up)

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, leo etchaas said:

I would like my printer to be very fast so having 150 mm/S is not possible for me.

It will be possible to print at those speeds and higher in Spreadcycle mode depending on your hotend, flow, extruder can keep up without skipping, etc. To minimise noise you can increase your microsteps to a higher value, rather than initiating Stealthchop mode. The Ellis profile has travel speed set at 450mm/s. The printer is more than capable of this. Stealthchop just doesn't like this.

• Voron FTW! 1

Thanks, I will try it tomorrow  as said. The link was exactly what I was looking  for. 😀

also I would like to try out the Ellis profile witch is kind of a reference.

450mm/s would be good for me. I asked Stephan from PIF what hotend to use and he advised me "phaetus rapido HF" I tried it out and it is so good !!

I just ordered "fake CHT nozzle" made out of copper to improve the flow. Let's see how it works when they arrive from china.

Also the stealth burner with CLW2 is good and powerful, I like it. I only had a small problem last month of print failing because the filament pushing gear set screw went loose so I put purple loctite on it and re-tighten it and now it works again.

Edited by leo etchaas
  • Like 1

This worked !!! thanks so much MVDVEER  !!

Can I offer you a part of your choice for your vorons ? I can offer you something from fermio or another shop. I can laser cut also as I own a good laser cutter. just tell me what you want for your printer, if you need anything😉
How can I delete the above post ? The noise under 350 mm/s is a little bit louder now, but the noise when the printer goes fast, is much quieter now.
Thanks again for your precise  and consiese help.

Edited by leo etchaas

30 minutes ago, leo etchaas said:

Can I offer you a part of your choice for your vorons ?

All we want in this forum is to help where we can. Seeing a successful outcome is more than enough. Makes us happy. Happy printing!

• Like 3