Klicky not Docking

Pierre52

Question

I am in the process of final configuration of my LDO Voron 2.4 build and experiencing a couple of issues.  Docking of the Klicky probe is one of them.

First up, I am new to both Klipper, Mainsail and Octopus.  My other two printers both use Duet 2 boards so I am more familiar with RepRap config files.

The Klicky probe is working fine except for the docking  procedure.  No matter the position over the bed, the head takes a straight line to the dock (combined X & Y move) and invariably this is at an angle to the dock (mounted to the gantry at X =70 and Y = 296). End result the probe gets knocked off every time it docks.

I would have thought that the procedure should make the head move to X = 70 first to align with the dock and then move to Y = 296 to dock.  Finally a +40 move in X to leave the probe in the dock.

I am picking that this is something in the klicky-variables.cfg (copy attached)?

Any help gratefully received

klicky-variables.cfg

9 answers to this question

Sure.

[gcode_macro _User_Variables]
variable_verbose:             True    # Enable verbose output
variable_travel_speed:         200    # how fast all other travel moves will be performed when running these macros
variable_move_accel:          1000    # how fast should the toolhead accelerate when moving
variable_dock_speed:            50    # how fast should the toolhead move when docking the probe for the final movement
variable_release_speed:         75    # how fast should the toolhead move to release the hold of the magnets after docking
variable_z_drop_speed:          20    # how fast the z will lower when moving to the z location to clear the probe

variable_safe_z:         	    25    # Minimum Z for attach/dock and homing functions
# if true it will move the bed away from the nozzle when Z is not homed
variable_enable_z_hop:        True    # set this to false for beds that fall significantly under gravity (almost to Z max)

variable_max_bed_y:            230    # maximum Bed size avoids doing a probe_accuracy outside the bed   ##DONE##
variable_max_bed_x:            245    # maximum Bed size avoids doing a probe_accuracy outside the bed   ##DONE##

# if a separate Z endstop switch is in
# use, specify the coordinates of the switch here (Voron).
# Set to 0 to have the probe move to center of bed
variable_z_endstop_x:         142   ##DONE##
variable_z_endstop_y:         260   ##DONE##

#Check the documentation on klipper Dock/Undock configuration, these are dummy values
#dock location 
variable_docklocation_x:      36    # X Dock position
variable_docklocation_y:      260    # Y Dock position
variable_docklocation_z:      -128    # Z dock position (-128 for a gantry/frame mount)

#Dock move, final toolhead movement to release the probe on the dock
#it's a relative move
Variable_dockmove_x:             40
Variable_dockmove_y:             0
Variable_dockmove_z:             0
#Attach move. final toolhead movement to attach the probe on the mount
#it's a relative move
Variable_attachmove_x:           0
Variable_attachmove_y:           30
Variable_attachmove_z:           0

#Umbilical to help untangle the umbilical in difficult situations
variable_umbilical:          False    # should we untabgle the umbilical
variable_umbilical_x:           15    # X umbilical position
variable_umbilical_y:           15    # Y umbilical position

# location to park the toolhead
variable_park_toolhead:      False    # Enable toolhead parking
variable_parkposition_x:       125
variable_parkposition_y:       125
variable_parkposition_z:        30

variable_version:                1    # Helps users to update the necessary variables, do not update if the variables above are not updated

#Below this remark, you normally do not need to configure
#Attach move2
Variable_attachmove2_x:          0    # intermediate toolhead movement to attach
Variable_attachmove2_y:          0    # the probe on the dock
Variable_attachmove2_z:          0    # (can be negative)
#Variable_attachmove2_z:          10    # (can be negative) Reset for UnKlicky

# Do not modify below
gcode:
    {% set Mx = printer['configfile'].config["stepper_x"]["position_max"]|float %}
    {% set My = printer['configfile'].config["stepper_y"]["position_max"]|float %}
    {% set Ox = printer['configfile'].config["probe"]["x_offset"]|float %}
    {% set Oy = printer['configfile'].config["probe"]["y_offset"]|float %}
    {% set Oz = printer['configfile'].config["probe"]["z_offset"]|float %}

# If x, y coordinates are set for z endstop, assign them
    {% if z_endstop_x != 0 or z_endstop_y != 0 %}
        SET_GCODE_VARIABLE MACRO=_Probe_Variables VARIABLE=z_endstop_x VALUE={ z_endstop_x }
        SET_GCODE_VARIABLE MACRO=_Probe_Variables VARIABLE=z_endstop_y VALUE={ z_endstop_y }

# if no x, y coordinates for z endstop, assume probe is endstop and move toolhead to center of bed
    {% else %}
        SET_GCODE_VARIABLE MACRO=_Probe_Variables VARIABLE=z_endstop_x VALUE={ (Mx * 0.5) - Ox }
        SET_GCODE_VARIABLE MACRO=_Probe_Variables VARIABLE=z_endstop_y VALUE={ (My * 0.5) - Oy }
    {% endif %}

• Voron FTW! 1

4 hours ago, claudermilk said:

I see you have variable_attachmove_y set to 0. In my config I have it set to 30. I believe that is telling the Klicky macros to move the toolhead that far in front of the dock, then move straight back to the dock position.

Thanks for the response.  I am away for the next 4 days but will give that a try when I get back.  However, I don't quite follow what is meant to be achieved by moving the head away from the dock without a corresponding X move to align with the dock position.

It is also not clear whether those moves are absolute, or relative.

I don't completely understand the intricacies of the macros, but I believe that the dock move settings plus the dock location settings are to get the tool head directly in front of the dock, then move variable_attachmove_y straight back into the dock. Then it moves sideways to "wipe" the probe off the tool head. Attach is the reverse--move sideways on to the probe in the dock, then move straight forward to pull it off the dock.

4 hours ago, claudermilk said:

I don't completely understand the intricacies of the macros, but I believe that the dock move settings plus the dock location settings are to get the tool head directly in front of the dock, then move variable_attachmove_y straight back into the dock. Then it moves sideways to "wipe" the probe off the tool head. Attach is the reverse--move sideways on to the probe in the dock, then move straight forward to pull it off the dock.

Yep that is pretty much how I understood it.  To my simple mind, we have set the xy variables for dock position, so when the command to dock is given the head should move to the Dock x position first then move back to the dock y position.  All of the positions should be absolute.   It should then be a case of setting those variables to do exactly that. 

@claudermilk  Thank you that has finally got the probe docking properly.  In the end, the following changes in Klicky Variables fixed it:

variable_attachmove_y was changed from 0 to 30

Variable_parkposition_x was changed from 70 to 125  

Variable_parkposition_y was changed from 296 to 125

Variable_parkposition_z was changed from 30 to blank

Thanks for your help.  I will now move on to resolving a Calibrate Z issue.  If needs be I will address that in a separate post