ldo Trident 300 kit - x gantry movement with cable chains

polygonprint

Question

Hello all. I'm building a ldo Trident 300 kit and am at the wiring stage of the build. Move of the tool head along the x gantry is smooth without the cable chains and wiring but once I add those the movement binds up towards the end of the x travel (opposite side from the endstop). My cable chain seems long enough but to me it seems as though the chain radius is too small as it moves up and over the printed xy joints and fasteners. Hope that makes sense... I should take some pics and post. I have tried adjusting lengths etc. but the movement of the tool head gets a bit jerky towards the end. I was hoping somebody else may have had this problem and solved it. Thanks all!

7 answers to this question

My Trident 250 does the same. At the far left end of the X travel the cable chain does ride up over the printed joint. It's never been an issue. The worst effect is mine happens to exactly align the button head with the edge of one of the links so there is a slight click noise as it rides on and off the bolt head. No ill effects beside me worrying something is broken.

Thank you claudermilk. In the end I figured it wouldn't be perfect but I now have it in at a length where I'm at least ok with the movement etc. To me it seems shorter works better than longer for that particular cable chain. I'm so close to finishing this build now.

mvdveer - I will certainly be looking into canbus! But for now the goal is to finish my Trident as is. I was tempted with the tap mod and also cw2 as well as rebuilding my V0.1 as a V0.2 but i knew it would all slow me down. 😄

12 minutes ago, polygonprint said:

rebuilding my V0.1 as a V0.2 but i knew it would all slow me down

I feel your pain. One thing at a time - I only wish I can take my own advice some times. As you, I need to convert my V0.1 to a V0.2. This was the very first Voron I built and has served me sterlingly. My swithcwire's bed heater has decided to fail - that needs to be replaced and then I have a VZBot 350mm that needs a rebuild, Ender 3v2 for conversion to switchwire, Ender 5 and 5Plus for voron conversions - Maybe a Voron 1.8 conversion or Tridex conversion.

But so much for taking my own advice, I have just started planning the build of a formbot Kit Voron 2.4r2 350mm 🙄

3 minutes ago, mvdveer said:

I feel your pain. One thing at a time - I only wish I can take my own advice some times. As you, I need to convert my V0.1 to a V0.2. This was the very first Voron I built and has served me sterlingly. My swithcwire's bed heater has decided to fail - that needs to be replaced and then I have a VZBot 350mm that needs a rebuild, Ender 3v2 for conversion to switchwire, Ender 5 and 5Plus for voron conversions - Maybe a Voron 1.8 conversion or Tridex conversion.

But so much for taking my own advice, I have just started planning the build of a formbot Kit Voron 2.4r2 350mm 🙄

Oh my, I thought I was bad 🙂

My 0.1 is still my workhorse strangely enough... and my fav. The Trident has been a slow build mostly because I have had issues with the t-nuts not inserting into the extrusions properly. I have rebuilt the frame twice already just because I missed pre inserting one or two of them at the beginning. Because ldo do things a little differently (slight changes) in their kits it was a bit confusing to know exactly where the t-nuts needed to be. I'm still worried I've missed some to be honest.

I also have a Prusa mk3s that is being rebuilt, and has been abandoned. I think in the end I'll be happy with the Trident and V0 but I do have enough parts spare to build a second V0

• Like 1

concerning the chain raising  at the end of the way... this is not a problem, so long you don't use TAP (because it raises SB and can trigger the probe during printing..) ...  the cable chain holder on the SB needs a redesign probably. 

About the nuts in a LDO  kit... sometimes it is this way... but you can force  them  in..  it works.. even if it is a little bit scary at the begin.

12 hours ago, Meishu said:

concerning the chain raising  at the end of the way... this is not a problem, so long you don't use TAP (because it raises SB and can trigger the probe during printing..) ...  the cable chain holder on the SB needs a redesign probably. 

About the nuts in a LDO  kit... sometimes it is this way... but you can force  them  in..  it works.. even if it is a little bit scary at the begin.

Thanks Meishu, good to know. No TAP on my Trident as yet, but looking at adding it in the near future I hope.