Quad_Gantry_Level error

shiftynick

Question

Hey All,

I'm slowly testing aspects of my Voron 2.4r2 LDO 350RevA kit with Mainsail OS with Klicky.  

I keep running into this error:
image.thumb.png.408874d26a9e1fb878f87f698f94cf95.png

When I run QGL from the console,  all four corners are probed  but it errors on the 4th and final corner every time.

I also am having bed meshing issues and am wondering if these issues are related? I've referenced these Klipper docs, but I'm clearly missing something?:
https://www.klipper3d.org/Config_Reference.html#quad_gantry_level
https://www.klipper3d.org/Bed_Mesh.html

I've also watched a view videos as well and I just cannot figure it out🤦‍♂️. My printer.cfg and klippy logs are attached in case anyone is willing to take a looksee.  

Sincere Thanks in advance!

Shifty

klippy (4).log printer.cfg

14 answers to this question

3 hours ago, shiftynick said:

When I run QGL from the console,  all four corners are probed  but it errors on the 4th and final corner every time.

You need to un-comment the following for a 350 build as per the Voron documentation:

##  Gantry Corners for 350mm Build
##  Uncomment for 350mm build
#gantry_corners:
#   -60,-10
#   410,420
##  Probe points
#points:
#   50,25
#   50,275
#   300,275
#   300,25

as opposed to yours:

image.png.ca16980708ccb2ea1ccf234bc10f0811.png   Change this to the above  and see how you go

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, shiftynick said:

Based on what you said,  this should bring my printer head to the lower left corner?  Currently, this is centering my print head in the bed

When you home the printer, X will move to 350(right) and trigger the endstop, Y will move to 350 (back) and trigger the endstop, then the printhead will move over the endstop and move to 0 or 1 down) and trigger the endstop.

Issue the following command after homing and see where the toolhead ends:

G90

G1 X0Y0

If your toolhead does not end up in the left front corner then change the rotation distance of Both X and Y to 40. Repeat above

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, shiftynick said:

The rotational distances of both the X and Y are already set to 40; do I double it?

Sorry, was meant to say full_steps_per_rotation. I assume you have 1.8 degree stepper motors, but hust as an elimination excercise, set this to 400 and see what happens

• Thanks 1

Just looked at the LDO motor kit and the AB Motor steppers (X and Y) are 0.9 degrees, thus the full_steps_per_rotation: 400

Change this in X and Y and you should be fine.

The four gantry motors are 1.8 degrees - thus full_steps_per_rotation: 200

image.thumb.png.04783174f416b06e2cda590d68d78572.png

• Thanks 1

For clarification and understanding of why we do what we did:

The <full_steps_per_rotation> setting is determined from the type of stepper motor. Most stepper motors are "1.8 degree steppers" and therefore have 200 full steps per rotation (360 divided by 1.8 is 200). Some stepper motors are "0.9 degree steppers" (360 divided by 0.9 is 400) and thus have 400 full steps per rotation. Other stepper motors are rare. If unsure, do not set full_steps_per_rotation in the config file and use 200 in the formula above.

• Thanks 1

Thank you, again Mvdveer!  

First, I uncommented the corners and points in your suggestion for 'quad_gantry_level' and the error did go away.
image.png.f9ae1cb2510390aa034ce50dedb37a0c.png

This brought about another question;  These coordinates only seem to probe the back right corner of my 350 x 350 bed.  Is that the intention?
image.png.12377e363d3df554529c22ce257f623f.png

In regards to the bed meshing, again your suggestion help and calibrated mesh was MUCH more level.  However, the area probed was similar in size and location to the area probed by the 'quad_gantry_level'.  

It seems like a larger area should be probed for mesh or 'quad_gantry_level' so I'm still somewhat confused.  Am I overthinking this or is there something wrong with my bed coordinates/parameter?

Thank you so much for your time. 

Shifty

This is currently how I have the X and Y axis defined:
image.png.eba358f42421a68c8966402b839414be.png

Based on what you said,  this should bring my printer head to the lower left corner?  Currently, this is centering my print head in the bed.  Sincere apologies, I'm sure that these are silly questions.

Thanks again,

Shifty

image.png

Edited by shiftynick

I also have a 350 2.4 with klicky, here's my snippets from printer.cfg that you should have. The points section's values are shifted forward in Y to offset klicky's y+25 offset for probing

[quad_gantry_level]
gantry_corners:
   -60,-10

Edited by staticanime
  • Thanks 1

Mvdveer,  

I issued the command that you indicated and the printhead moved to the center of the print bed. The rotational distances of both the X and Y are already set to 40; do I double it?

Staticanime:  Those bits of code are in my printer.cfg file.  Thank you for your time in answering. 

Edited by shiftynick

That was it!  I received the 0.9 AB motors in my kit!  I read the manual but didn't RTFM again when I got stuck to verify 🤦‍♂️. I cannot tell you how thankful I am.  This community is the best!  quad_gantry_level and bed_mesh are now working as expected!  

Thanks again!

Shifty

• Like 2