My new PLA filament keep clogging after print

Pradit

Question

I wonder what are the causes of all filament clogging?

I had to turn on heat and use my bike cable to push it from the top down.

It seem to clog in the middle.

I did try to extrude 5-10 mm after finish each print while hot then clean nozzle.

But still randomly happen.

7 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Pradit said:
G1 E-5.0 F1800 

Well you have a 5mm retraction in your end gcode, that's quite a large retraction for a direct-drive extruder where regular retractions are often sub-mm. Might be different if you had an enormously long bowden tube with a very remote bowden-style extruder.

You could experiment with significantly reducing (or even removing) that retraction from the end routine. The 5mm retraction could well be pulling enough molten/soft plastic back into the cold zone to give you problems later. Naturally, all things are a trade-off, you may get a little nozzle ooze at the end of the print then. However, there will always be ooze, retractions don't magically suck the filament back into the nozzle it just reduces some of the pressure in the melt zone (and by the sound of it your PLA is quite oozy anyway).

• Like 1

There are many reasons for clogs 🤔. I am presuming this is just plain/regular PLA and does not have additives (e.g. wood-chips, metal, fibre-glass, carbon filaments) as additives can cause clogging.

Things like too low extrusion temperature and dinged up nozzles (if it's colided with the bed one too many times) will cause clogging. However,I'm intrigued by the title of your question "...clogging after print.". If your retraction is set too high (possibly some exceptionally long retraction event in your "end of print" routine) could be pulling molten filament out of the melt-zone in the actual hot-end and into the cold-end where it solidifies and clogs. So along with extrusion temperature I would check retractions (especially in end-of-print routines).

One other means where retractions can be an issue is when using pressure advance. When using PA you need to dial back your default/regular retraction settings to something really minimal (think I use 0.25mm or less with PA) since PA is effectively fancy-schmancy automted retraction. I speak from experience on this one have clogged a hot-end when I forgot to dial down the standard retraction settings and also used PA.

Oh, and one last thing to check is retraction speed....if it's too fast I've found it can cause clogs. I keep my retractions very low speed in the sub-30 mm/s range.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pradit said:

t seem to clog in the middle.

I did try to extrude 5-10 mm after finish each print while hot then clean nozzle.

Sorry re-read your question (I was focussing on your title too much). Still worthwhile checking the end-of-print code, just in case. I've lost track of how many times I've forgotten something stupid in an end-of-print routine.

However, if it's generally mid-print (and especially if using PA) I would look to your retraction settings.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, smirk said:

There are many reasons for clogs 🤔. I am presuming this is just plain/regular PLA and does not have additives (e.g. wood-chips, metal, fibre-glass, carbon filaments) as additives can cause clogging.

Things like too low extrusion temperature and dinged up nozzles (if it's colided with the bed one too many times) will cause clogging. However,I'm intrigued by the title of your question "...clogging after print.". If your retraction is set too high (possibly some exceptionally long retraction event in your "end of print" routine) could be pulling molten filament out of the melt-zone in the actual hot-end and into the cold-end where it solidifies and clogs. So along with extrusion temperature I would check retractions (especially in end-of-print routines).

One other means where retractions can be an issue is when using pressure advance. When using PA you need to dial back your default/regular retraction settings to something really minimal (think I use 0.25mm or less with PA) since PA is effectively fancy-schmancy automted retraction. I speak from experience on this one have clogged a hot-end when I forgot to dial down the standard retraction settings and also used PA.

Oh, and one last thing to check is retraction speed....if it's too fast I've found it can cause clogs. I keep my retractions very low speed in the sub-30 mm/s range.

Wow thanks.

I ll check them one by one.

I use rapido, normal pla, 190c tool 70c bed.

Lots of ooze with this pla.

10 hours ago, smirk said:

Sorry re-read your question (I was focussing on your title too much). Still worthwhile checking the end-of-print code, just in case. I've lost track of how many times I've forgotten something stupid in an end-of-print routine.

However, if it's generally mid-print (and especially if using PA) I would look to your retraction settings.

Please help see this code:

[gcode_macro PRINT_END]
gcode:
    # safe anti-stringing move coords
    {% set th = printer.toolhead %}
    {% set x_safe = th.position.x + 20 * (1 if th.axis_maximum.x - th.position.x > 20 else -1) %}
    {% set y_safe = th.position.y + 20 * (1 if th.axis_maximum.y - th.position.y > 20 else -1) %}
    {% set z_safe = [th.position.z + 2, th.axis_maximum.z]|min %}
    G90
    G0 X{x_safe} Y{y_safe} Z{z_safe} F20000  ; move nozzle to remove stringing
    G0 X{th.axis_maximum.x//2} Y{th.axis_maximum.y - 2} F3600  ; park nozzle at rear
    #PURGE_BUCKET
    SAVE_GCODE_STATE NAME=STATE_PRINT_END

M400                           ; wait for buffer to clear
    G92 E0                         ; zero the extruder
    G1 E-5.0 F1800                 ; retract filament

TURN_OFF_HEATERS

G90                                      ; absolute positioning
    #G0 X{x_safe} Y{y_safe} Z{z_safe} F20000  ; move nozzle to remove stringing
    G0 X{th.axis_maximum.x//2} Y{th.axis_maximum.y - 2} F3600  ; park nozzle at rear

G0 Y300 Z10 F20000
    M107                                     ; turn off fan

BED_MESH_CLEAR
    RESTORE_GCODE_STATE NAME=STATE_PRINT_END
    STATUS_READY

I'll note that with my Revo I have a 10mm print end retraction. That's to try and clear the filament out for cold nozzle changes. I don't have clogging issues with PLA, ABS, or TPU with that. I also use PA and have in-print retractions of about 0.75mm give or take a bit. I have had a bit of trouble with Nylon (Polymaker CoPa) but haven't pursued it. In closing on 1400 hours print time on the Trident I've had only a couple clogs that required me to get the needles and poke it out. I also got a small spool of cleaning filament tossed in with one order or another and that seemed to help.

• Like 1