Hello from Essex, UK

Hais

Hey folks

Earlier in June, I started 3D printing by getting an Ender 3 V2. Put Klipper on it straight away and later upgraded it with Dual Z, Orbiter 2 and Dragonfly and a few other mods.

Currently self-sourcing a Trident 350mm build. I have a red anodised frame and a 2KG of "fire-engine red" ABS filament, so it's going to be really rather RED! 

Not striving for speed benches here (sorry!); I just want to build a reliable printer. (Well, at least, I'm hoping Voron Tap + triple-z bed levelling + E3D Revo will get me somewhere on that path). Tips and suggestions are welcome!

Happy to create a build log if anyone's interested.

P.S I've inadvertently ended up with two Trident frames for the price of one. Any tips for what to do with the spare one would be great! 

25 minutes ago, atrushing said:

Save it! If you've landed on this site already then you will probably be building a second Voron soon enough 😏

I'll certainly be keeping it, don't worry! 

I've not planned on another Voron but never say never! 😆

So far I've considered mounting them vertically and having the bottom one as a spool holder. Perhaps several spools of filament might act as good ballast to lower the centre of gravity? They might rattle around though as the tool-head moves around... 

I also dreamt up more crazy ideas like mounting them horizontally and having a dual-bed trident - where after one print finishes it moves the tool head over the second bed to continue the next job. Although it didn't seem particularly economical (or practical) of an idea! 🙂 

Welcome to the forum, you're in good company. There's lots of friendly and knowledgeable people here so you'll certainly get lots of advice and suggestions (like building your second Voron 🤣 )

1 hour ago, Hais said:

Happy to create a build log if anyone's interested.

Yes!! We love build diaries.

• Like 1

Thanks. For what it's worth, I'm struggling to print parts for my Voron build too - although for reasons that are pretty obvious to me at least. 

i.e. having an unenclosed Ender 3 in an uninsulated garage where the air temperature recently can be anywhere from 0 Celsius to -6 Celsius 🥶

Once my trident frame is assembled I might see if I can wrap it in some mylar blankets and pop it over the Ender 3 somehow. Or I accept the inevitable and bring the printer indoors. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum! I approve of the Trident + Revo combo! I'm not at all biased (shush GOMs!). Auto bed leveling and the probing options are like magic. I have Klicky and auto-z, and am moving to Tap. That should make my 250 even more click-print-and-walk-away.

Of course we want to see a build diary! Those are always popular in these parts.

As to printing parts, definitely cobble together some kind of enclosure for the printer. It' doesn't need to be pretty, it just needs to keep the warm air i and the cold, drafty air out. Oh, and preferably not light on fire during a print.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, claudermilk said:

click-print-and-walk-away.

That's the dream, right?

It doesn't have to be perfect, but I'd like to not have to calibrate everything manually each time I turn the printer on. Or leave it printing a big job and not feel like I need to watch it like a hawk all day. My Ender has had its fair share of spaghetti disasters (even if a fair few were because of human error!). 

I also have an ERCF kit that I'll be starting to print parts for once the Trident is working. Not expecting to do lots of multi-material prints, but being able to hit print and have it automatically swapped to the right filament I'd be totally happy with it. Also, the Revo seems like it's a good pair with the ERCF from what I've heard - the slightly shorter filament path on the Trident all helps too. 

1 hour ago, Hais said:

It doesn't have to be perfect, but I'd like to not have to calibrate everything manually each time I turn the printer on.

Once set up - you won't have to.  Click and Collect for 3d printing

Once my trident frame is assembled I might see if I can wrap it in some mylar blankets and pop it over the Ender 3 somehow. 

The answer to the question that nobody asked: Yes, a Trident 350mm frame does (almost) fully surround an Ender 3. That’s without a top-mounted spool holder, and a very slightly reduced Y motion. 

So, next task is to wrap the frame in some material and try and print ABS parts again! 

Edited by Hais
Context
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Hais said:

The answer to the question that nobody asked: Yes, a Trident 350mm frame does (almost) fully surround an Ender 3. That’s without a top-mounted spool holder, and a very slightly reduced Y motion. 

A novel  use for the frame, guess you could say the Frame is helping boot-strap itself into a fully fledged Trident