Hello from Melbourne, Australia

polygonprint

Hello to everyone,

I was asked to do an intro / about myself. I also feel awkward talking about myself but here goes...

I have been 3d printing since 2015 after buying my first fdm printer, a Zortrax M200. Since then, I have had a few other printers, but nothing came close to the quality and accuracy of the M200, not until I purchased and built my first Voron, a V0 built from a Formbot kit. As I mostly print small abs parts this was the perfect printer for me. But lately I have been needing a larger format printer for larger quantities and larger parts. Due to this I only recently purchased a LDO Trident 300 kit which I am currently in the process of building.

My work background lies within the Visual Effects, Games, AR and the Automotive and Aerospace industries. I'm not a designer as such, but rather will take a concept image or images and / or digital scans of an existing product, eg. an existing vehicle and re-create it in 3D using a 3d polygon modelling program like Blender.

My interest in 3d printing came about after an automotive client asked about having one of their vehicles 3d printed. At the time I knew very little about 3d printing but the final digital 3d model I had created for them was printed using SLA printing (see attached). I purchased the Zortrax M200 shortly afterwards out of interest and a desire to learn more.

My next big project will be to get the printers (3.5 of them) out of the house (spare room) and into their own workshop / office / area as I have a feeling the wife has had enough. To be fair, she has put up with them for quite some time.

Thanks for listening.... Merry Christmas to all.

gt1print01.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome from a fellow Melbournean. Here you will find great advice, friendly people and lots of help. Looks like I'll have to try and learn Blender as well. Another job to do, after Fusion 360 which I am currently trying to get my head around. Happy building.

8 hours ago, polygonprint said:

I have a feeling the wife has had enough. To be fair, she has put up with them for quite some time.

I feel your pain - in exactly the same boat. Says there are noisy - I can't hear a thing 😁

Thank you claudermilk! - I have more images of that particular model, both computer graphic renders and photo's of the printed version. Originally, I had plans to print the model myself with a fdm printer but the client was wanting a solid "watertight" model and went with SLA.

Eagle Low Drag GT1 - SLA Print. on Behance

mvdveer - Blender is amazing, very much feature packed, but it is geared more towards visual effects, animation, etc. As far as precise, CAD type modelling Fusion360 is a much better option, imho.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

10 hours ago, polygonprint said:

I also feel awkward talking about myself but here goes...

No need, you're in a safe space here 😃and everyone is supportive and helpful. It's always good to meet new folk.

I think you'll be a great addition to the team. I look forward to seeing how your Trident build goes.

2 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Says there are noisy - I can't hear a thing 

Not entirely clear @mvdveer you talking about the wife or the printer? ("There, there my pretty, pay her no attention. She's jealous of our love....")

7 hours ago, smirk said:

talking about the wife or the printer?

You wanna get my in trouble? She who must be obeyed might be peaking.  The printer the printer the printer.....

• Haha 1