Knock Knock

Calvinx

In an attempt to move away from using a linear rail as per the original design to use a wider (better stability) set of cross roller guides.

I have come up with a revision. (the only parts i am waiting on are the THK cross roller guides which im told should be with me the first week of Jan

The weight of the Voron design parts and hardware (parts printed to the spec advised in the Voron docs) comes in at 111g (your mileage may vary depending on the scales)

I tried to make the design as simple as possible with no need for magnets and positive stop and retention automatically built into the design and  a change to use the normal easily available Chinese style endstops which are apparently ok to use on a Voron as an endstop on X,Y so why not on Z too....

The weight on my revision is 90g.

The mechanism is guided by a pair of THK Cross Roller guides  the outer pair of guides are spaced at 28mm apart (bolt centres) and the inner pair are 15mm apart so no "rocking" can occur, in its normal position the outer head holder plate is positively stopped down against the inner plate there is a spring which returns the outer plate to its set position after the head lifts back up the tension of this spring is adjustable.

knock knock 1.png

knock knock 2.png

Edited by Calvinx
  • Like 3

Cool. I'll be interested to hear how it works.

One nitpick on the CAD drawing, flip the X endstop switch. You'll want to mount it so the lever falls down on the switch and not away. Also, there will be a version for those of us with the endstop on the gantry end rather than on the tool head?

20 minutes ago, claudermilk said:

Cool. I'll be interested to hear how it works.

One nitpick on the CAD drawing, flip the X endstop switch. You'll want to mount it so the lever falls down on the switch and not away. Also, there will be a version for those of us with the endstop on the gantry end rather than on the tool head?

With regards the endstop lever that's just a visual, in reality I remove the levers they are nothing more than a source of problems that lead to inconstancies Thomas Sanladerer has a few video's covering/confirming this.

Placing the X Axis endstop back on the gantry is doable (a little more cad work), I only put it there because I run tool-boards, which is what Voron appears to lean towards having placed the version they released there too, as with the normal location of the endstops the now smaller tool-head has nothing to place in front of the original location, i will look at it.

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta say I like the idea of using cross roller guides, this way you can enforce the movement axis better. Not sure about how much, but it definitely is more rigid and straighter compared to linear rails, specially the crappy ones.

Also, I'd choose springs over magnets all day in this use case. A lot easier to anchor, select and tune tension.

• Thanks 1