Good morning from Austria

Wick

Hello together,

may I introduce myself a little.....

my Name is Ludwig, I live near Vienna in Austria, I am 54 Years old (now...), married, and have 2 sons.

I started with 3d printing about 2 Years ago with a Prusa Mk3s+ (build kit) by advise of a very good friend of mine, where I learned about how it works and what to take care of. I think it's a real good choice and a very good start before thinking of a Project like a Voron. In the past I heavy modified the Prusa with Ikea Housing, external Power and Einsy Board, Octodash, etc.

As I spent lots of time in Hospital this year (transplantation) i decided to plan and order all parts for my first Voron. 

Instead of a 2.4 I decided to go for a Trident as I think the bed is more stable as it don't have the flex of the Z-belts on the 2.4 (maybe I'm wrong. Later on I realized about the lower buiding height but it doesn't really matter to me....(although women and 10cm more?😁)

I also started with CAD to be able to design and realize my own Ideas, heavy stuff to find out all possibilities of the software. I'm just at the beginning of it, as you can see on my uploads in the printable user mods😉, so don't be too hard with me.

kind regards to all of you and thanks for spending the time to read this

Wick!

Hello Ludwig aka @Wick, a hearty welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here and for your contributions.  You will make @claudermilk happy with your decision to build the Trident. I have a very limited knowledge of CAD, so you already have an advantage. Lots of helpful people - like @Penatr8tor with his Fusion 360 tutorials and @smirk that gives his all to solve a problem. We try not to be judgemental or "hard on people" All here to help.

Would love to see a build diary of your build. @Buurman has just started a very comprehensive build diary - more of a "how to" for a 2.4 build.

I trust the transplant went well and you have time to enjoy your build. Looking forward to reading more about it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wick said:

Instead of a 2.4 I decided to go for a Trident

Another advantage that I see with the Trident is that the actual build area is higher, and since heat rises you are working in a warmer region of the build volume. I have measured about a 5 degree temperature difference from the top to the bottom of an enclosed printer. With the 2.4 you need to wait for the heat to push its way all the way to the bottom of the machine..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, atrushing said:

Another advantage that I see with the Trident is that the actual build area is higher, and since heat rises you are working in a warmer region of the build volume. I have measured about a 5 degree temperature difference from the top to the bottom of an enclosed printer. With the 2.4 you need to wait for the heat to push its way all the way to the bottom of the machine..

Gooed reasons indeed, I like that you have the option to choose and height is I think the best reason to do this.

For heat, I woudnt think too much about it, in a V2.4 the bed is in the bottom, the origin of the heat, sure it rises, but air tents to circulate quite good with the fan on, and I like the extra fans (nevermore or alike) under the bed to up the circulation more. 

Printing high things if not too large may want you to decide on a NON moving bed though, but I guess you thought about that too, a fixed bed brings lots of stability to your print, but in 99% of prints a moving bed wont matter I think.

Enjoy the build, love to see the build diary if possible, and feel free to ask for help here! 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Buurman said:

but air tents to circulate quite good with the fan on, and I like the extra fans (nevermore or alike) under the bed to up the circulation more.

True, convection from the fans helps a lot. And the spec Voron heatbed has no problem pumping out the heat to get spread around the chamber. I am still working to get more out of the 24v Prusa heatbed in my Trident.

I dont print very heat sensive materials I think, I print mostly ASA, if I pre-heat it for 10 minutes and read a 40 degrees C temperature in my chamber then, I start printing.

I dont have any parts coming loose ever, not even very thin/high ones. ABS wants to bend a little more, so I wait a little longer, for about 45 degrees, but no problems then also. Just dont up the parts fan, I have it very very low speed, like 20/30 percent, higher WILL cause the parts to bent of the plate. But my prints are better looking with low speed fans, so no reason to up the speed.

Hi Ludwig,

Welcome aboard! You are in very good company. One of the things that I like about this forum is that it is full of very helpful and supportive people and there aren't any judgemental criticisms which is in a stark contrast to other corners of the Internet. As a farther,  you understand that the best way to learn something is by doing and your contributions are to be admired. Clearly I can say that to you as a father, if I say that to my daughter I just get a withering look.....🤣

Welcome to the forum! Yes, I do indeed approve of your choice to build a Trident. 😉 It's a really good machine. The main difference between the Trident and V2.4 is what oves: the Trident lowers the bed as you print on the 3 leadscrews. The V2.4 has the flashy flying gantry that lifts on the belts as you print. That allows a faster z-hop. The bed starting at the top makes the printer a bit top-heavy in comparison, but input shaping makes that a moot point. Pick your preference. 

I started with a Prusa Mini+ and almost immediately started researching my Trident build. The Prusa->Voron path is well-trod. And now semi official (Prusa purchase of Printed Solid that sells Voron kits). 😆

Once you get started with your build, please do start a build diary.

5 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Well, I'll have to build one then 😀

Yes, yes you do.