New to the Voron Community ....

Jeffware

Hello all, I am from Texas (DFW area) and have been 3D printing since the release of the Monoprice mini. I have since upgraded to 3 Tevo Tornados which all are upgraded with linear rails, direct drive extruders and all metal hotends and all electronics underneath running Octoprint. I recently made the leap into the Voron arena with a V2.4 350mm. I sourced all of the parts myself as opposed to buying a kit. Not  the cheapest way to go but allowed me to pick the premium parts I wanted to build with. with that said the new printer has been given the Serial V2.4127 and I have printed about 4kg of KVP filament through it already. V2.4127 features Dragon HF hotend, LDO motors, Octopus Pro controller with 2209 drivers. for the pi I am using the Pi4B adapter from BTT with a CM4 module, does away with an SD card for reliability. tool head is a Stealthburner with CW1 Extruder (soon to be CW2). Running a Mandala Rose Works Magnetic bed with lightweight labware kinematic bed mount. Has spring loaded Z Sexbolt  with extended housing to compensate for the increase in bed height. Using a Klicky probe (soon to be Euclid) and has a purge bucket and scrubber. Also running titanium backers on the flying gantry. Sports a filament runout sensor and chamber thermistor as well as Daylight on a stick (3), an overhead camera module and last but not least an XL Nevermore. Running Mainsail and the printer (knock on wood) is performing flawlessly. 

I am a mentor for several robotics teams in the area and this time of the year is full of lots of 3d cad design and printing parts for the teams. ABS has been a big improvement for the robotics parts and the Voron has reduced print times dramatically! Super happy with the new printer. so much so that I am starting to convert the first Tevo to a Switchwire conversion. I see several new Voron builds in the nearby future as well.

Reach out if you need any help with your printer. I am a contributor in the MPCNC arena as well and have made several contributions there. Looking forward to doing the same here.

front_photo.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome aboard! Looks like a fabulous build, and it's always interesting to hear what use people put their machines to (Robots making robots 🙂 ). I look forward to seeing build diaries for your newer builds,especially that Tevo/Switchwire conversion.

Outstanding! Welcome to the board. Looks like you have your sh#t together and will be a resource for the community. 

I have begun looking into how to provide Ukraine with 3D printed parts for drones (props, bodies, etc.) in support of their war efforts against Russia, so you may be able to contribute there as well.

Anyway, welcome!!!

Welcome to the forum! That's a nice build; sounds like you got all the great mods done already. 

I'm curious: why moving from Klicky to Euclid? Just because?

Also, what sort of robotics? I'm researching combat robotics right now (have been for a while now)--that's an interesting rabbit hole to fall down.

Lastly, MPCNC? Nooo....I shouldn't fall down that rabbit hole!

I like the mounting of the Euclid probe and the visual feedback of the LEDs should there be a problem. I am not having any issues with my Klicky but I have noticed that for instance the probe is not exactly parallel with the build plate, I suspect over time could cause a problem with auto-z calibration, but just a guess. I currently mentor 2 FTC robotics teams and one Colligate team which is on two different "fields of play". Battle bots is the same but different in the area of, for instance, durability. Definitely a rabbit hole for sure! MPCNC is "Mostly Printed CNC". First focused on CNC solutions for the DIY community, we have now mounted lasers, drag cutters and other "tools" on the tool head. So has morphed into a versatile platform. We have even done very large format 3d printing.  Both of my FTC teams have CNC machine for their programs now, previously not possible due to cost. depending on a lot of factors, of course, you can build a capable CNC for under 500 USD to include aluminum and some steal machining. So there you have it, just "some" of my rabbit holes, here is a pic of the platform without any tools mounted to give you an idea of what it looks like. Hmmmm, just noticed that the color scheme is the same as my Voron 😉

Primo-scaled_2.jpg

• Like 1

Aha, FIRST! I saw the competition at OC Maker Faire recently. Those are wild. I was watching one bot shoot hoops, then looked over and another had made it to the top (4th) hang bar. My reaction was "WTF? How the heck did it get way up there?!"

That MPCNC is a very interesting looking rabbit hole. Especially considering the cost. It would fit nicely with the 3D printers and the looming robot rabbit hole. Just need to find some space. And money.