orange Pi 3 LTS

Tony

Hi 

I have followed Tina instruction to down load Klipper to my orange Pi, put the SD card into orange Pi and fire up . Red light comes on and then go to green. 

Try to connect with Putty and all I get is host not reconized. I am using a 5 volt 3amp : C type charger. I cannot see what I am doing wrong. How can I tell if the orange Pi has been flashed . 

Hi 

The green light is solid. I think there is something wrong with internet setup. The wifi name has been change as my grand kids have been setting up the system to play games on their laptops. I will keep trying by using the WI-FI name their us.

22 hours ago, Tony said:

The wifi name has been change as my grand kids have been setting up the system

In addition to getting the new WIFI name (SSID) make sure that it is on a 2.4Ghz frequency. Depends on what your wireless router is capable of and exactly what the grand kids were going to it (best ask them 🤣 ). From what I can tell from the user manual for the Orange Pi 3 LTS it only has a Realtek RTL8723BU for the WIFI controller, and that WIFI controller is only capable of running at 2.4Ghz frequencies. It does support the 'b', 'g' and 'n' versions of the wireless protocol (802.11)  but only at 2.4Ghz. You may find the grandkids were setting things up to run fast (5Gz and 802.11ac) for their fangled video game things (don't call them video games, my daughter mocks me when I use olde worlde terms, and laughs when I say there wasn't always an internet you know).

Thanks I have checked and I am on the 5G network as Telstra has upgraded the area to 5G broad band. As I am new to this how do I get 2.4G. I was brought up using two jam tins and a piece of copper wire to communicate at least you could see the other person 

Ah, we're talking at cross purposes 😃 Things like the mobile phone network (which covers telephone calls and broadband aka data) use protocols (a bit like a language) called 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G. In this case I think the "G" stands for generation. The WIFI part uses a protool called 802.11 but uses two separate [radio] frequencies i.e. 2.4Ghz and Ghz, here the "G" stands for "giga" (billion) so we're talking 2.4 giga hertz and  5 giga hertz (it's just like the difference frequencies on a radio station 101FM, 97.5FM, etc)

Sorry, that's probably not entirely helpful,  but you'll have some sort of wireless router that connects the devices in your house to the internet (via the Telestra 5G?). That device will be the thing producing the WIFI signal. I imagine there would have been a label on it saying something like "Your wireless SID is <something> and the password is <something>", especially if the wifi router was provided by your Internet Provider(Telestra?). Now if the WIFI router was provided by your Internet Supplier it's probably been preconfigured and not easy to change (did they provide a manual?). I am perhaps making a big assumption from what you said earlier that the grandkids may have reconfigured  it - genuinely it's worth having a chat with them. The trouble I have is there are literally thousands of different types of WIFI routers, all with their own slightly different ways of changing settings so beyond very general advice (like make sure the WIFI router has a 2.4GHz Wifi SSID set up on it) then I'm not going to be much specific help.

It's a pain, since it is extra expense, but getting a HDMI cable (and a USB keyboard and mouse) would help no end as you could plug the orange PI into a monitor and see what's happening. Granted that presumes you have a monitor (or TV) with a HDMI port otherwise that's even more expense 😞 (unless you can borrow one).

The other thing to consider is if your Internet router has any Ethernet ports then you could connect an ethernet cable from the Orange Pi to your router and get connectivity that way. Whilst it might not be feasible to have a super long cable from the router to where-ever your printer is it would (in the short term) possibly allow you to connect over the network (using ssh) into the Orange Pi and reconfigure things that way.

If it's helps here's an image from the back of a random wifi router that I've got. It's purely illlustrative as there are oodles of different models:

back-of-router.thumb.jpeg.aaed5dee15d1dc19ebe9121495253f84.jpeg

The yellow ports (the colour is not actually relevant) are the ethernet ports I was talking about above (they are referred to as LAN (Local Area Network)  ports). There are also the labels giving me the (default) WIFI SSID (both a 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz versions, not very helpfully labelled as 2.4G and 5G) and possibly most important the Admin Password. If I wanted to reconfigure the device I would point a web browser at the router's IP Address (most likely the default gateway address on all the other devices) and use that Admin password (probably using the login name "admin") and I could reconfigure it.

If your Internet Provider  hasn't provided a manual for the router, you could possibly google one using the model  number off the back of the router. Trouble is the manual would not give you the admin password....that will have been set by the Internet Provider (unless they left it at factory default, which will be in the manual).

However, speaking with the grandkids might be the best course 😉