I hear dead people... Or maybe its my printer??

Buurman

Question

I am starting this topic, since I am always looking to make a printer operate in a volume level (or frequency) thats not irritating to hear, I have a challenge with my new build voron.

Fun thing is, I now build 3 Vorons, and all three of them have different noise levels, while all of them are square, smooth and well adjusted.. 

So this one makes a noise (I thought from the extruder, but NO, its from the back Z drive(s).

I hope its clear to hear the cracking noise, to me it sometimes sounds like squeaky trees, or wooden floors... 

During printinging Z often not even moves, but I do feel somekind of small vibration on the Z wheels in the feet. (the big pulleys)

It doesnt seem to show in the prints, they are smooth, yet the small vibration is there... hard to pinpoint where from, but my best bet is the Z drives, I dont feel it anywhere else.

12 answers to this question

To me it sounds a bit like when the Z-drive are following the bed mesh but much louder and the rythm doesn't seem to match what the printer is doing??? Have you tried disabling bed mesh to see if the noise remains and rule out the Z axis?

• Like 1

I agree it sounds mechanical, but, nothing is loose, its like the motor is epileptic... 

But will put it on its side and double check all screws... so wierd... since it happens when its idle..

18 hours ago, claudermilk said:

Hold current is deprecated now.

Doesnt work anymore or is it just "not advised" ?

4 hours ago, Simon2.4 said:

To me it sounds a bit like when the Z-drive are following the bed mesh but much louder and the rythm doesn't seem to match what the printer is doing??? Have you tried disabling bed mesh to see if the noise remains and rule out the Z axis?

Good idea, never thought of that, creative thinking... I will try!

23 hours ago, Simon2.4 said:

I think eliminated the constant correction and making the Z drive.. well, shaking... of course need to look further into the .. why does it make the noise, I think one motor is "bad" since they should be ablt to do this without producing this weird noise, yet, for now, its gone.

Probably will try to get a new motor, or maybe one time, swap it with a front motor, see if I can hear it again with bed mesh enabled (and stealtchop off)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, claudermilk said:

Hold current is not recommended. I don't know if Klipper has completely turned it off.

I turned it off, but you do read it helps some people to make their motors a lot quieter, in some situations.

But for me, all good, didnt make a difference in this case. Thanks @claudermilk