Jump to content

Please add a Fusion 360 tutorial section.


Penatr8tor
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Penatr8tor said:

As the title says... Please add a Fusion 360 tutorial section.

I'd be happy to create a few tutorials to those wanting to potentially modify some Voron parts or maybe create some parts for their own custom builds in Fusion 360.

Thanks,

Pete

@Penatr8tor - I am currently using Shapr3D on a iPad as I found fusion so confusing. However unless you have the step file, manipulating .stl files on Shapr is near impossible (at least for me) I for one would love some easy to follow practical tutorials and may then consider the move to Fusion

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Heck yeah! Might be better to just have a CAD topic in the tutorials section and people with different CAD skills can share their knowledge. I've been looking at shapr for a couple of years now and I saw that it was available for windows. I have a PC with a 24" tablet monitor and I want to try the pen on screen workflow. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Penatr8tor said:

Heck yeah! Might be better to just have a CAD topic in the tutorials section and people with different CAD skills can share their knowledge. I've been looking at shapr for a couple of years now and I saw that it was available for windows. I have a PC with a 24" tablet monitor and I want to try the pen on screen workflow. 

I am by no means an expert on Shapr, just get by with the basics. Tried it on my laptop (without touch screen) but gave up. Much easier designing with a pen where I can draw what I want (with a pen) and then extrapolate from there. Would work very well on your 24" tablet monitor. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, mvdveer said:

I am by no means an expert on Shapr, just get by with the basics. Tried it on my laptop (without touch screen) but gave up. Much easier designing with a pen where I can draw what I want (with a pen) and then extrapolate from there. Would work very well on your 24" tablet monitor. 

Works well is a relative term. 😄 Actually we tend to gravitate towards what we know. I have one of those "remarkable" tablets so that I can jot things down like I did on a note pad but now it's an electronic notepad. Still... Hopefully one of the admin's grants my wish and I'll throw a few how to modify or create voron parts tutorials for anyone that's interested. FWIW... Shapr3D still primarily works like all feature based CAD modelers... sketch and then make either a positive or negative (cut) revolve, extrude, sweep along path or loft between shapes. Then put some rounds or chamfers on edges. The commands and user interface variy but for the most part the model creation method is similar. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Penatr8tor said:

Might be better to just have a CAD topic in the tutorials

I agree, like all things it's a broad church (but don't want to over complicate it with "CAD, Design and other graphicy type software tutorials". As soon as I figure it out I'll get something added and we can take you up on the offer of a tutorial or two. I know I'd certainly benefit it was one those areas that I've love to do but always find just a bit too daunting.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm going to focus on the basics with some practical tips thrown in for the first one. Then I'll move onto modifying some Voron parts to add things like more keystone jacks or designing a big screen enclosure / mount, etc. Let me know if you have anything you're looking to mod and I'll try to do a tutorial on it. Kind of kill two birds...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Penatr8tor said:

Thanks, I'm looking forward to sharing my experience/s with the group.

Well, no excuse now to finally get my head around Fusion 360. Thank you for your willingness to share

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is great! Thanks for doing this, I picked up a couple of things I hadn't realized with F360 on that first tutorial.

One that would be helpful for the 3D print crowd would be a good step by step of importing stl files and converting to a solid that you can edit. I've found a couple of video tutorials, and managed to accomplish it but it's still mostly a mystery and a PITA.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, claudermilk said:

This is great! Thanks for doing this, I picked up a couple of things I hadn't realized with F360 on that first tutorial.

One that would be helpful for the 3D print crowd would be a good step by step of importing stl files and converting to a solid that you can edit. I've found a couple of video tutorials, and managed to accomplish it but it's still mostly a mystery and a PITA.

You are most welcome.

Agree with importing STL's and converting them to solid. I tried converting a few STL's with varied results. I got a few STL's to convert but the functionality in Fusion is somewhat lacking. I found that face groups don't work too well and there are some instances where you can't group faces so that they convert. That feature in Fusion still needs work. I can still do a tutorial on what will convert versus what will not and when it's better to recreate a model using the STL as a reference. Maybe to a tutorial on reverse engineering parts that includes a section on converting STL's to solids.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...