Installing Klipper on Armbian OS, like Orange Pi

Tina

Hi,

I just want to share how I installed Klipper, Moonraker and fluidd on my Orange PIs.

1. Download Armbian (I use the debian/bullseye) for your board from here: https://www.armbian.com/download/
2. Write the image to a 'good' SD card.
3. When booting for the first time, you are asked to create a new root password and then a user. I always created a user 'pi' not to run into any problems, as the Klipper documentation is written for a user 'pi'.
4. Before logging out and log in as 'pi' I always run 'apt-get update' followed by 'apt-get upgrade'. After that is done, on a board with eMMC you could now copy the OS to the eMMC with 'nand-sata-install'.
5. Now logged in as user 'pi' KIAUH can be installed. Just follow the instructions from here: https://github.com/th33xitus/kiauh
6. Now Klipper, Moonraker, Mainsail/fluidd can be installed.

• Like 7

That is really helpful (esp given the current situation with Raspberry Pi) if you had the time/inclination writing this up as tutorial would really help others. I've occasionally considered the alternative SBCs (BananaPi, OrangePi) but been put off by the lack of good tutorials and references.

3 minutes ago, motocoder said:

Thank you for this. Which Orange Pi are you using? Did you have to add some sort of active cooling to it?

I use:
-Orange PI PC (H3 passive ceramic heatsink,1GB RAM, 3xUSB2, camera connector, no onboard WiFi, tested with https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003232460357.html works fine). Bought 2016 for €18.50 incl. shipping. Now ~€35 plus shipping.

-Orange PI 3 LTS (H6, 2GB RAM, 8GB eMMC, WiFi and Bluetooth onboard, 2xUSB2 1xUSB3). I use a copper heat sink set with it. ~€45 plus shipping

-Orange PI Zero 2 (H616, 1GB, 1x USB2 (+2USB2 with expansion board, onboard WiFi) ATM no working Armbian, current version 22.05.3 doesn't boot(Bullseye 22.02.2 works, DON'T update it as it will result a boot fail).  Set8 (with expansion board and het sink) ~€35.

IMHO if you buy a new one, the 3 LTS would be the best option. It has eMMC and good WiFi. The Zero 2 is currently too unstable due to the current Armbian boot error.

On all boards I installed the Bullseye version of Armbian,  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, madorax said:

does the gpio pin work for adxl 345? and to turn on and off the led

I can't say if the adxl works via gpio as I use a Raspberry Pico via USB, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Same for the LEDs, I never tested it with the gpio, I use the board connectors for LED lights.

Edited by Tina