Hello from Indianapolis!

Kyle

I have a little bit of experience with 3d printing. I built a Reprap Prusa Mendel in 2011, but quickly grew frustrated with how much tinkering it took to keep it printing, and the quality of the parts it was capable of making, so gave it to a friend and moved on. After many years, I got back into printing when I bought a Prusa I3 Mk3 in 2018, being frankly amazed at how much closer it was to a "click and print" experience than previously.

Fast forward to today. At this point, I have two Prusa Mk3s (that one from 2018 that's been rebuilt half a dozen times with all kinds of mods and customizations, and a Mk3s+ from the beginning of 2021 that is surprisingly close to stock), a CR-10S5 that has had pretty much everything except the frame extrusions upgraded trying to make it a reliable printer, a Prusa SL1 that I barely use, a non-functional Cetus Mk3 that I will someday use for parts to make a small laser engraver, and one remaining Ender 3 of the.. seven? I've owned (I keep getting them tweaked and tuned and then giving them to friends to get them into 3d printing). I am known by most of my friends and coworkers as "the 3d printing guy" though around others who are really into 3d printing, I'm at best average in my knowledge and skill.

Anyway, onto why I'm here. I've been wanting to build a corexy printer since MRRF 2019 when I saw the Railcores everyone was building back then, but couldn't justify the cost. Now that I'm doing a little better financially from starting a new job a month ago, I decided to finally build a corexy printer, so I've ordered a Voron 0.1 kit from Formbot, and I'm in the process of trying to print good ABS parts on my Mk3 in its Lack enclosure (of course rushing into trying to print some when I should have tuned my extrusion multiplier and temperatures first, but i've grown complacent from years of PLA and CFPETG, so I'm starting to get back to the lessons of fighting with ABS). 

• Like 2

Looking forward to reading about your journey. Welcome to the forum. A great place to interact, gain more knowledge (me from you) and share experiences. Help is only a post away, Do we EVER stop modifying our printers. Funny how we get a 3d printer and then use it to print parts to either upgrade/modify or build another.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mvdveer said:

Funny how we get a 3d printer and then use it to print parts to either upgrade/modify or build another.

Indeed! One of the greatest milestones in the life of a 3d printing enthusiast is when you build/buy your second printer, such that when you are halfway through a rebuild/upgrade and realize you are missing a part, you can print it without having to kludge something together on your one printer to print its own parts. 🙂 I very much look forward to having this 0.1 built, so it can be my "it's reliable, just don't do anything to break it" machine for printing replacement/upgrade parts for my other printers.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard, you're definitely in good company and as @mvdveer says you will find plenty and help and advice. I'm glad that friends and colleagues call you the "3d printing guy" i'm sure my nomiker isnt so complimentary 🤔

The one thing I would point out: one Voron is never enough......

• Like 2

1 minute ago, smirk said:

Welcome aboard, you're definitely in good company and as @mvdveer says you will find plenty and help and advice. I'm glad that friends and colleagues call you the "3d printing guy" i'm sure my nomiker isnt so complimentary 🤔

The one thing I would point out: one Voron is never enough......

Thanks! I'm sure I'll take you up on the help and advice.
As for monikers, I mean... that's just what they call me to my face, haha.

And yeah, once the 0.1 is running and able to crank out quality ABS parts reliably, I'm probably going to build a 350mm 2.4r2 (or whatever Voron is the reigning champ at that size by the time I get to it). 🙂 

12 hours ago, claudermilk said:

Welcome to the forum! Your i3 will be able to handle ABS just fine once you get it dialed in.

Thanks! And yup, it's doing great since I realized the nozzle had been hollowed out to about .6 by years of abrasive filaments! (I posted in the filament section about it with a picture). Now I've printed my "accent color" parts, and all I'm waiting on is the actual formbot kit (supposedly will be here Wednesday) and the roll of sparkly purple (Geomagnetic Mauve) ABS from Fusion Filaments (I was going to print the "main color" parts in black until I saw that color and changed all my plans, haha).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kyle said:

(I was going to print the "main color" parts in black until I saw that color and changed all my plans, haha).

Like most of us. Printed my original parts in Black and red - traditional Voron. Then 2.4r2 got release before I started my build and reprinted everything in Red and yellow and Love it. Gotta be bold

• Like 1