Hello from St. Charles, MO!

smoothdog

Started out in the hobby about 6yrs ago with an aNet a8. Don't groan, I learned a lot with that printer and with a few mods and some tuning it really became a workhorse churning out some nice prints. A few years and a couple of printers later, and I have finally just finished building my Voron 2.4 350. I'm new to klipper with mainsail/fluid but so far I'm really liking it, it's a bit of a departure from marlin controlled with Octoprint though. 

Found this community while searching for some mods for my Voron and it looks to be a great resource. I like the forum format much better than the chaos in Discord. 

• Like 1

Welcome, Smoothdog! I think plenty of people got a good start with an ANet A8 (i owned one),although they might not want to admit it 😉

You've picked a good forum with a good vibe about it. I know what you mean about the Discord, it can be a great resource but is somewhat akin to standing in the middle of a very busy room with everyone shouting their own conversation. Although, I probably would say that being a grumpy old man.

Welcome to the TeamFDM Community.

No shame, ANET A8 was my first printer as well - still have mine printing away, while i think i have replaced ALMOST every part with a mod or upgrade it was a fantatsic alternative at the time!

Thanks for joining, i look forward to seeing more posts from you!

16 hours ago, Demosth said:

Welcome to the TeamFDM Community.

No shame, ANET A8 was my first printer as well - still have mine printing away, while i think i have replaced ALMOST every part with a mod or upgrade it was a fantatsic alternative at the time!

Thanks for joining, i look forward to seeing more posts from you!

I've still got mine (printed most of my voron parts with it) it just needs a little TLC (bearings) before it goes to one of my kids.

16 hours ago, Demosth said:

What is the age range for GOM?

Well, I don't feel that old, but my kids tell me I'm old. I guess if you've ever said "when I was your age" in an argument, you qualify. LOL

There are probably many indicators, as you say children are usually a good barometer ("what the heck is a barometer?") when they look incredulously at a photograph ("Photographs came on paper?") and say "That's not you, you've never been young."

20 minutes ago, smoothdog said:

I guess if you've ever said "when I was your age" in an argument,

Also if you spend Parent's Evening at the school wondering when the teacher will turn up rather than being talked to by one of the other students....only to find out that child was the teacher. Or if you've ever thought/said "Does your father know you're wearing that?". Making noises when you sit down ("Ooof") or stand-up ("aaargh"), Knowing that old-age does not come by itself. Being utterly confused when someone (persumably younger) tries to explain that pokng people on Facebook is not rude like you thought.... and that Facebook is so passée; or what neo-pronouns are and it's not cool to say "them", oh and no one says "cool" any more that's not "cool".

If you find yourself explaining what VHS was and why actually BETAMAX was a superior technology....or that once upon a time the internet was dial-up and the connection broke when someone else in the house picked up the phone to make a phone-call ("yes" phones had wires). If you try and explain there wasn't always an internet, there's a good risk they'll have you sectioned under the Mental Health Act 2021 as you've clearly gone gaga.

Then if you're British you always have the joy of pre-decimalisation - if you find yourself explaining that there are were 240 pennies in the pound or 20 shillings and that gentlemen only dealt in guineas as they were 21 shillings rather than 20.....oh and my first salary was 2s3d a week (did I mention it was in Latin)? I don't see anything wrong with asking for a quarter of mint humbugs, it's daft having to ask for 113.4 grams of mint humbugs?! Who asks for 113.4 grams of anything!!?..........

Basically, sadly, if you have to ask the question "am I old?" or "do I qualify for GOM" then you are in it already (you've just forgotten where you put the membership card)!

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, smirk said:

There are probably many indicators, as you say children are usually a good barometer ("what the heck is a barometer?") when they look incredulously at a photograph ("Photographs came on paper?") and say "That's not you, you've never been young."

Also if you spend Parent's Evening at the school wondering when the teacher will turn up rather than being talked to by one of the other students....only to find out that child was the teacher. Or if you've ever thought/said "Does your father know you're wearing that?". Making noises when you sit down ("Ooof") or stand-up ("aaargh"), Knowing that old-age does not come by itself. Being utterly confused when someone (persumably younger) tries to explain that pokng people on Facebook is not rude like you thought.... and that Facebook is so passée; or what neo-pronouns are and it's not cool to say "them", oh and no one says "cool" any more that's not "cool".

If you find yourself explaining what VHS was and why actually BETAMAX was a superior technology....or that once upon a time the internet was dial-up and the connection broke when someone else in the house picked up the phone to make a phone-call ("yes" phones had wires). If you try and explain there wasn't always an internet, there's a good risk they'll have you sectioned under the Mental Health Act 2021 as you've clearly gone gaga.

Then if you're British you always have the joy of pre-decimalisation - if you find yourself explaining that there are were 240 pennies in the pound or 20 shillings and that gentlemen only dealt in guineas as they were 21 shillings rather than 20.....oh and my first salary was 2s3d a week (did I mention it was in Latin)? I don't see anything wrong with asking for a quarter of mint humbugs, it's daft having to ask for 113.4 grams of mint humbugs?! Who asks for 113.4 grams of anything!!?..........

Basically, sadly, if you have to ask the question "am I old?" or "do I qualify for GOM" then you are in it already (you've just forgotten where you put the membership card)!

all-of-this-pointing.gif.bc615a31ef3012b63eab0b3b946a770f.gif

GOM is as much a state of mind as anything. I've kind of been a GOM since about 10.

• Like 2