PCB or Canbus

mvdveer

Question

At the point of my build of a Voron 2.4r2 where I need to decide whether to go canbus or PCB (I have both). Have a Stealthburner with a LGX mod so mounting either would require some customisation. From my reading the only advantage of the Canbus is there are less wires to the toolhead. (4) But if I run LED lights, this will add an extra three where the PCB has a Neopixel attachment already. Watched several Youtube videos on both but still not clear which to use. Anyone have experience with both?

7 answers to this question

I guess it really depends on what [canbus] controller you have kitted out to the hotend. The CANBUS is just a general network (for controllers) there will be a limit on the number of "nodes" you can stick on that network. Probably some power of two, as they'll have a set number of bits reserved in the protocol frames for node identity. Since[modern] cars are hooked up using CANBUS I imagine they'll allow many hundreds, if not thousands of nodes (in theory) but for a 3D printer I guess that'll be small something like 64 or 128 (in theory).

Suppose what I'm saying in a waffley way, is there's no reason why the LEDS could not be controlled via CANBUS. The advantage (as you say) is the fact it's only 4-wires (2 power, 2 data), and for other industries (cars) standardisation of interfaces, ease of manufacturing. So the limiting factor is not the CANBUS protocol/technology, it's the availability of appropriate interconnects/nodes. If you could source the board then you could have a CANBUS PCB for your toolhead that had LEDS and every conceivable (for a 3D Printer) attachment as well as frickin' lasers [on it's head] so ultimately all you had was 4 wires.

By the sound of it,  there are limited features on your existing CANBUS adaptor, so really the question isn't CANBUS vs PCB it's really one of convenience. Which can you get mounted the easiest?

That's my thoughts.....

• Like 3

Thanks for your thoughts @smirk What I was thinking exactly. Have Mounted the HUVUD v0.61 (http://github.com/bondus/KlipperToolboard)  canbus on the back of the LGX motor as this mount seems to be the tidiest. (The LGX extruder was the deal breaker, needed to be included in the build) Will see how it works in the end. The HUVUD has an integrated stepper driver (TMC2209) but no UART control as far as I can determine. Will report back once I have the printer up and running.

IMG_2405.thumb.jpeg.102df6933435c0e200135fdfcbd64299.jpeg

Edited by mvdveer
  • Voron FTW! 1

3 hours ago, Suntzao said:

Thinking about converting my 2.4 and really interested in how this project has worked out for you or where it is at?

@Suntzao Shelved this, as the canbus board needed updating and incompatible with the octopus board I had. Went to PCB in stead. There is another thread discussing this mod in detail:

See 

On 7/2/2022 at 7:38 AM, mvdveer said:

Thanks for your thoughts @smirk What I was thinking exactly. Have Mounted the HUVUD v0.61 (http://github.com/bondus/KlipperToolboard)  canbus on the back of the LGX motor as this mount seems to be the tidiest. (The LGX extruder was the deal breaker, needed to be included in the build) Will see how it works in the end. The HUVUD has an integrated stepper driver (TMC2209) but no UART control as far as I can determine. Will report back once I have the printer up and running.

IMG_2405.thumb.jpeg.102df6933435c0e200135fdfcbd64299.jpeg

Is the STL for the back mount/cable chain connection available anywhere?  I could definitely use that.