Hi from Texas

Penatr8tor

Hi all.

My name is Pete. I'm a mechanical engineer product designer in the medical device market for the past 30+ years. I'm an independent consultant specializing in injection molded plastic, sheet metal and CNC machined component design. I currently have over 20 US patents for medical as well as a few consumer level designs. I started my 3D printing journey around 2010 with the purchase of Solidoodle 2. From there I purchased a Tevo Tornado (CR10 clone with an AC bed heater). I just finished building a Voron 2.4 R2 300x300. I still have the Tevo (it's still a very capable printer) and am considering building a Voron Switchwire to replace it in a month or so. We'll see about that one. Other hobbies / interests include... Motorcycles: I've owned close to 30 of them, mostly crotch rockets (I did a bit of amature road racing and tons of track days on a GSXR1000 K5, a number of dirt bikes (mostly trail riding and enduro) and I currently ride a Goldwing F6B. HiFi: I also have dabbled into high end audio. I currently have two systems, my home theater Denon AV-X3300W receiver, Emotiva XPA-1 and XPA-3 amps, Martin Logan Vista's for the main, Martin Logan Matinee center, Martin Logan Depth i Sub and two Mirage towers for the rears. I also have a 2 channel system. It consists of, A self built Dynaco ST-120 stereo tube amp making 60W per channel, two Magnepan LRS's for the mains, a Martin Logan Dynamo sub, Emotiva DAC and Sonos Connect which I drive from my phone or tablet.

I look forward to interacting with the group and sharing any experience I've garnered with the group.

Cheers,

Pete

• Like 1

Hey Pete!  Welcome to the forum, you will fit right in with those hobbies. I never owned a bike but lately have been looking at the triumph trident 660, seems like it would make a great beginners bike. 

How are you liking the 2.4 compared to your previous printers? I bet its been a night and day experience with the print quality.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Fabreeko_Hector said:

Hey Pete!  Welcome to the forum, you will fit right in with those hobbies. I never owned a bike but lately have been looking at the triumph trident 660, seems like it would make a great beginners bike. 

How are you liking the 2.4 compared to your previous printers? I bet its been a night and day experience with the print quality.

Hey Hector, I love the 2.4. I can't stop printing stuff. I am having a little trouble with the 2 dollar probe that I got with my Formbot kit but I've already printed klicky probe parts so I'll be switching over to that when I install my Stealthburner.

Triumphs are great bikes and the Trident is a good choice to start out on. A lot of beginners don't have the experience to understand that a motorcycle can get you into some real trouble real quick with the throttle. THe Trident is a forgiving and predictable machine. If you pull the trigger, you won't be disappointed with your choice. Pro tip: Find a used one, you'll make a few mistakes along the way and... once you've out grown the Trident you can sell it for close to what you paid for it. Either way, it will be a fun process.

Cheers and see ya on the board!

Pete

Welcome to the forums!

If (when) you decide to do the Switchwire build, start up a build diary for it.

I never got into motorcycles myself. Enough friends did that I decided to stick to my cages. Those have seen many autocrosses and track days. Loads of fun, but dang what an expensive hobby. I've also dabbled in mid-level hi-fi. Sticking with my older Marantz & Paradigm 20 mains. I should update it, but it just keeps working.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, claudermilk said:

Welcome to the forums!

If (when) you decide to do the Switchwire build, start up a build diary for it.

I never got into motorcycles myself. Enough friends did that I decided to stick to my cages. Those have seen many autocrosses and track days. Loads of fun, but dang what an expensive hobby. I've also dabbled in mid-level hi-fi. Sticking with my older Marantz & Paradigm 20 mains. I should update it, but it just keeps working.

Hey Claudermilk,

I definitely will. I have plenty of pic's and vid's from my 2.4 build so I might do a retro-diary on that one as well. 

Yep, motorcycles aren't for everyone. 4 wheels can be every bit as exciting and fun as 2, and I know what you mean about expensive... It was plenty expensive doing track days and races on the bike, I can only imagine what a set of 4 competition level tires cost.

Dude, those old receivers are still awesome today. The amps in those things were legit, not like the class D's in the current units. You couple an older receiver with some good speakers and well... you're where you're at currently. Older systems are coming back around.

Anyways... Have a good one and we'll see you on the forums,

Cheers,

Pete

16 hours ago, Demosth said:

Welcome to TeamFDM - glad to have you and I look forward to hearing more about your processes and how you apply your real world experience to the Voron community and 3D printing!

Thanks Demosth, We will see how glad you are after a couple months of having me around. LOL. Just kidding, I look forward to interacting. It looks like there's a pretty cool community forming here.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I hope to follow in your shoes! Currently working in medical device product dev as well, and also into bikes. On my 4th so far (started on a Rebel 500, then FZ07, then R6, then FZ09 when the former two were stolen). Hoping to get another crotch rocket eventually to take to the track, once I patch the hole in my wallet from 3D printing. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, yeet prime said:

I hope to follow in your shoes! Currently working in medical device product dev as well, and also into bikes. On my 4th so far (started on a Rebel 500, then FZ07, then R6, then FZ09 when the former two were stolen). Hoping to get another crotch rocket eventually to take to the track, once I patch the hole in my wallet from 3D printing. 

Nice! FZ09 is a wheelie monster! Good choice! It will certainly hold it's own on the track. Good luck on your design career goals too! I'm getting a little grey around the edges but I still have an old 1st gen FZ1 to hooligan around on. Once bitten I guess, Ya just can't go back. Here's a few pics from track days. Post up a few pic's! Let's see what ya got!

1978, 18 years old and wheelying my RD400

image.thumb.jpeg.6cadd0da61d5097434e1ad89313611a2.jpeg

image.jpeg.94496046260e7fc661d3912634919c5b.jpeg

My FZ1

image.jpeg.1445108e4f0fc57933db4578ee8bd1f4.jpeg

2000 Busa

image.jpeg.cb328f0e467b4df3bb4ade0af787e09a.jpeg

Gixxer on the track...

image.thumb.jpeg.c6253e65c0cbbbb8c3c0d18bd4c45abb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.41ef43476550e5fb3cf6b271da29701f.jpeg

image.jpeg.b753e419c90f3665f0a9923a6d6361f2.jpeg

Current ride. Can't seem to keep the pegs from scraping.

image.thumb.jpeg.4d41818d3b8e210a1fd90a706d3dec72.jpeg

Dirt

image.jpeg.021999fd06905e9a61624015a968e9bc.jpeg

I think I was about 15 here.

image.thumb.jpeg.59f8bb109589e54117d611b8a851a906.jpeg

A couple years later I raced a bit of MX

image.thumb.jpeg.879e0d7560832ed41e87353add5c8fcf.jpeg