Cheap Easy Enclosure for ABS

Kemlo

If you would like to print your own parts for a Voron, but do not have an enclosure, I have had success using an emergency Mylar blanket. If you don't have any laying around they are only a couple dollars. One is big enough for an Ender 3 or CR-10 size area. They are very sturdy for how pliable they are, and can hold shape with minimal support or even folded on themselves properly. Additionally they are highly reflective, and will light up well if you use LED's inside. I have found a simple domed tent works well. I keep a small opening on one side (rear) up high, with a lower opening on the opposite side, which I use to view and adjust to control the temperature. 

IMG20220528212441[48].jpg

IMG20220522211631.jpg

IMG_20220522_150534[49].jpg

IMG20220520230138.jpg

• Like 1

Yep, I did the same on my Sidewinder X1. Except I used a large plastic bag. I tucked it under the bed so the electronics in the case underneath could still breath some fresh air though.

Works extremely well. Makes you really wonder why people spend extra on thick insulation panels for their Voron. As long as there's no draft creating a temp difference around the parts normal (cheaper) panels should be fine.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Originally I went down the big cardboard box route before switching to the infamous(?) LACK table design (thought it would look better than a big cardboard box in my living room) which I simply covered in film rather than spending the money to get panels cut (that's a little project to come back to). However, you prove that you can achieve good things without hosing vast amounts of money.

1 hour ago, smirk said:

Originally I went down the big cardboard box route before switching to the infamous(?) LACK table design (thought it would look better than a big cardboard box in my living room) which I simply covered in film rather than spending the money to get panels cut (that's a little project to come back to). However, you prove that you can achieve good things without hosing vast amounts of money.

You can probably get transparent acrylic sheets for not too much money from your local DIY store. They're easy to cut with a table saw or a track saw.

3 hours ago, SVDB said:
5 hours ago, smirk said:

You can probably get transparent acrylic sheets for not too much money from your local DIY store.

Guess it depend on your definition of "not too much money" 🤣 Sadly here in rip-off UK (even without the awful war) everything is more than it should be. However,I guess you don't really need the sides to be transparent. The primary purpose is to keep the temperature stable with aesthetics being second (or not even considered), so a camera or convenient window is all that's needed.

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm aware of the "difficulties" the UK is experiencing for a variety of reasons.

The main problem with printing ABS/ASA is really just draft and the temp differences it creates.
Nero3D has a good series of videos about that if you haven't seen them yet.
Once you have the basic parameters under control your prints will look good in addition to being structurally sound.
Just like Nero3D I can't stress enough to not buy the cheapest ABS/ASA you can find. It makes a huge difference.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

If you can get one to fit your printer then I don't see why they wouldn't work. They'll keep drafts out and that's what's important, as well as trapping heat. As a bonus, Amazon might send it in a large enough cardboard box to give you a second cheap enclosure 😉 Unless you're concerned about the aesthetics of the thing or  trying to print particularly exotic filaments (PEEK, etc) in which case you'd be looking at a radically different setup....then I'd say there's nothing wrong with one of those pop-up tent stlye enclosures on amazon.

• Like 1

Check out the Wham Bam Hot Box. I saw one at a friend's house and looks like one of the better enclosures. It's a bit pricy but really feature packed. Even has a built-in thermometer. IMO better designed than the Amazon options, but you're paying for it.